REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Where To Buy Film Gear?

Quick question...is there a good place to get film stuff in Vancouver that isn't one of the major stores selling used or Craigslist? I'm okay with flea markets or if there's an online forum for this.

Looking for old Canon bodies and FD lenses to play with.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
thrift stores but bargain since they overprice like hell

otherwise CL/ebay

if in good condition and cheap enough

or just buy it in store since old canon bodies have shitty electronic contacts think there is 30 day warranty at kerrisdale

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
...in the world.

Doesn't have to be an old Canon. I just figured the FDs would play nicer with my 5D3 if I want but there's adapters for Nikon lenses and whatever too.

I'm up for any old film cameras and lenses, really. I just want some film to play with again and my old Ricoh doesn't work anymore.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Doesn't have to be an old Canon. I just figured the FDs would play nicer with my 5D3 if I want but there's adapters for Nikon lenses and whatever too.

I'm up for any old film cameras and lenses, really. I just want some film to play with again and my old Ricoh doesn't work anymore.
haha, it's funny because I think Nikon lenses work better on Canon bodies than FD lenses... (I might be wrong though, you should double check that before taking my word for it) I think you can get adaptors with no glass, but you lose part of the focus range - or you can get adaptors with glass, but you'll lose a bit in image quality.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:

FD lenses don't work with EF mount unless you add a glass adapter or smth which defies using FD lenses. Better off with F mount with EF adapter. Canon can adapt with alot of other lenses while Nikon can't adapt with anything other than leica (i think)

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
...in the world.

Well...dammit...

The problem with this stuff is I don't know how much it's worth. I found tons of cool shit in Japan just walking around but never pulled the trigger because I didn't know if I was getting a good deal or getting ripped the fuck off.

I don't mind if it doesn't work great as long as it works. Wouldn't mind just searching swap meets and such but I don't really know where to look and I don't know what to pay.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Thrift stores can be pretty cheap. I walked into a random one for an animal shelter, asked if they had any camera gear and the guy pulls out a bag that came in the day before. Had a pentax spotmatic-f with 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses. I didn't really need the camera, and I had the 135mm lens already, but I asked how much he wanted. Tells me $5 hmm ya I guess I'll take it then... haha
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

kerrisdale cameras claims to have the largest selection of used gear in western canada. They got a few locations all around Vancouver/Burnaby.

Kerrisdale Cameras | About us

link to their used camera gear pdf: http://www.kerrisdalecameras.com/files/used_list.pdf
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

i was looking at some used glass to try on my m4/3 system, but nothing is really interested on their used list. keh has much more interesting glass, shipping is $$$ tho.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
...in the world.

Post cool stuff you find in here. If you see an interesting film camera at a store somewhere, take out your phone and snap a shot of it here for us, whether you buy it or not. If you don't buy it, maybe one of us will.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

i had luck at a photography swap meet a few months back, they held one at the rec centre on cameron behind lougheed mall.
picked up a Canon 35mm f2 FD mount lens for $250...about avg resale price.
Mounted to my Panasonic GH2 with an adapter, and it's become my go-to lens for video and walkarounds.

But yeah it's hard to tell if you're getting ripped off especially w/o mounting and testing the lens too to check the condition/image quality, which is what's always kept me from pulling the trigger on too many vintage lenses.

That said, FD's probably the most cost effective mount to experiment with, being that it's completely discontinued and unsupported by modern Canons, keeping their value low, whereas the older Nikon glass is still compatible with the latest crop (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
hwizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
^well Ronin is looking to use them on a 5D3, so the FD stuff won't be much use to him

I Haven't followed the alt. lens stuff for a couple years, but I would say look at the M42 screw mount stuff. There is plenty of good/cheap lenses to be had with that mount, and its a pretty basic mount to adapt to the new canons
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
...in the world.

Don't care about using them in my 5D. Just thought it would be interesting but I'd rather have a cool old film camera than one that has to be Canon.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
...in the world.

How much would you guys pay for something like a Canon AE-1 or a Nikon FE?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Just to contribute a bit more on older film lenses. I recommend looking at M42 screw mount lenses or Pentax PK mount lenses. Those mounts don't require glass in between the lens and the camera.

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting:

Canon EOS lens Adapters - Manual focus lenses on Canon EOS bodies
Using FD (and other) lenses on EOS bodies - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Compatibility list of M42 lenses on Canon EOS 5D dslr

I've also been to Kerrisdale Cameras for their older film lens. Their pdf list isn't all that accurate. It's much better to email them and ask if they have a specific mount of lens in stock.

I have an extra Fotodiox M42 to EOS mount adapter for sale if you are interested
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #16

Quote:
How much would you guys pay for something like a Canon AE-1 or a Nikon FE?
AE-1 ~$40 good condition

FE ~$80-100

buy my FE It comes with E focusing screen

beaware that FE has sticky mirror issues above 1/250, becomes very prominent when cold. If I were you, get the FE2/FG or F3 masterrace

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant