REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC: total loss. Need help asap please! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677757-icbc-total-loss-need-help-asap-please.html)

dared3vil0 12-10-2012 10:52 PM

I wouldn't buy them... I just don't like the look of them. If you want something along those lines, go for an FX35, or an FX45.

AVS_Racing 12-10-2012 11:23 PM

GS350 AWD, or RX

knight604 12-10-2012 11:36 PM

I'd say do your research within the days you have left and do not make an impulsive buy because you will regret it.

I was going to suggest a TL type s.

Maybe try a MDX , you can find fairly new ones for cheap.

acurael 12-10-2012 11:49 PM

no vote for the GLK 350 huh? I like how it looks, but unsure of reliability. Yah Knight604 i definitely don't want to make a quick decision and regret it. I usually take months to pick a car. This time I have to decide quickly, which is stressing me out (probably not helping me with my recovery from chest/back pain). Done for today, search continues tmrw..... thanks so far for the input guys. keep it coming!

xilley 12-11-2012 12:04 AM

Id go for GLK, but thats if you can keep up with the expensive maintenance, I personally didnt like the GLK at first, but over time its growing on me.

yray 12-11-2012 12:12 AM

When I had the 2010 GLK only problem was the power lift gate in the back, newer versions had improvements on it I believe. Maintenance wise, its gonna be expensive but pretty reliable. Drives like a tank, gears like a truck, not an everyday funcar but feels so solid. Not a lot of room in back seats so beware. PM me if more Qs.

rk604 12-11-2012 04:33 AM

keep in mind that icbc will give you the actual cash value PLUS 12% because that is the amount you would have to pay to purchase another car of the same value. if you were to buy your car privately and have the seller agree to gift it to you, you would in turn get 12% more for you car.

i've had my car written off before and find that they are quite fair with determining the value of your car. only downfall is the waiting of all the paperwork before they write you a cheque...hopefully you were able to obtain a rental car so you could still commute

acurael 12-11-2012 11:52 AM

Would you guys say an SUV or crossover is safer than a car? its weird how a serious accident can change your mentality. I'm also thinking ahead in terms of kids. Maybe safety is more important than style for me now. My car was destroyed, the other guy had a truck and did not have anywhere close to the damage I had.

found this article that says SUVs are now more safe since the chance of rollovers is less with new technology

Crossovers and Safety - New Crossovers - Cars.com

Bender Unit 12-11-2012 12:45 PM

Size does matter

From all your posts, You doesn't seem to know which catalog you are want.
I will suggest you slow down a bit. Go to AutoMall & window shop with your wife. See the actual car yourself.

You got pictures of your accident the aftermath ?

acurael 12-11-2012 01:43 PM

no pics. I was taken away by ambulance. The car got towed to bodyshop and they didn't even take it off the truck supposedly. Just said its a total loss. Guess the damage was that bad. Whole passenger side front disintegrated. all you could see was the front tire. Engine stopped working and just kept making this clicking noise after the accident.

acurael 12-11-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Unit (Post 8104352)
Size does matter

From all your posts, You doesn't seem to know which catalog you are want.
I will suggest you slow down a bit. Go to AutoMall & window shop with your wife. See the actual car yourself.

You got pictures of your accident the aftermath ?

not in any shape to window shop so trying to do it behind the computer. but you are right - I'm confused...:okay:

LP700-4 12-11-2012 01:53 PM

Looks at what you want then just do some research such as online forums and youtube video reviews and that kind of stuff. When time comes to buy the car you should know enough about it to make a confident purchase.

dared3vil0 12-11-2012 02:43 PM

I just noticed your injured... Are you going to sue? That could significantly raise the budget...

rk604 12-12-2012 10:55 PM

size does matter...search up "accident smart car" on youtube...it looks RIDICULOUS. In terms of your new car, have you thought about what criteria you would look for? comfort? 5/7seats? fuel efficient? luxury? awd/fwd/rwd?

freakshow 12-12-2012 11:35 PM

It looks like you're going to make an impulse decision. Buy a $1000 civic for now, take your time, and make the right choice. When you sell the civic back to the market, you probably won't lose a single dollar.

Sushi604 12-13-2012 12:12 AM

Or maybe start to learn how to use transit. As much as a car is valuable to you now (sucks that its during the holidays), just worry about getting the right amount for your settlement first.

The new (or used)car can wait. You can always rent a car on days you really need it. Car2Go is a fairly cheap option if your willing to work around it for the next little while.

Your wife and family would probably appreciate the fact that your bringing them out looking at cars. Beats sitting around the house doing nothing on the weekends.

Marco911 12-13-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 8104317)
Would you guys say an SUV or crossover is safer than a car? its weird how a serious accident can change your mentality. I'm also thinking ahead in terms of kids. Maybe safety is more important than style for me now. My car was destroyed, the other guy had a truck and did not have anywhere close to the damage I had.

found this article that says SUVs are now more safe since the chance of rollovers is less with new technology

Crossovers and Safety - New Crossovers - Cars.com

SUVs have less active safety. You're more likely to be involved in an accident in an SUV. They are less safe if you hit something of equal or greater mass.

If you want a safe vehicle buy a Mercedes or Volvo.

acurael 12-13-2012 04:56 PM

Appreciate all your guys comments and advice. Just taking it day by day now and focusing on recovering my health. Taking transit is not an option with my work. I may just rent a car for now and go from there. Mercedes GLK seems to offer quite a bit, but I'm worried about reliability and I've read that there are some tranny issues. I think a four door sedan is good enough for carseat/baby. The wife insists on SUV. I have always hated SUVs and prefer the handling of a car. No more RWD either, so awd it is.....
Posted via RS Mobile

LP700-4 12-13-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 8106265)
Appreciate all your guys comments and advice. Just taking it day by day now and focusing on recovering my health. Taking transit is not an option with my work. I may just rent a car for now and go from there. Mercedes GLK seems to offer quite a bit, but I'm worried about reliability and I've read that there are some tranny issues. I think a four door sedan is good enough for carseat/baby. The wife insists on SUV. I have always hated SUVs and prefer the handling of a car. No more RWD either, so awd it is.....
Posted via RS Mobile

Good handling AWD sedan with lots of safety? 09-13 Acura TL SH-AWD :concentrate:
Scores a Good in every category of the IIHS tests. Tied with Volvo S60 as safest mid-size sedan.

Could find a used one for around your price range. That is, if you can live with the beak.

littledog 12-13-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk604 (Post 8104130)
keep in mind that icbc will give you the actual cash value PLUS 12% because that is the amount you would have to pay to purchase another car of the same value. if you were to buy your car privately and have the seller agree to gift it to you, you would in turn get 12% more for you car.

Keep in mind that this is illegal and is considered fraud. Think about it this way, ICBC has a record of cutting you a cheque for the total loss and somehow within a short period of time that a stranger would suddenly gift you a ~$18 grand car?! It doesn't make any sense at all!

I have to agree though ICBC are usually fair when it comes to the payout value. Almost everyone thinks their car is worth more than what it actually is and the advertised prices are (almost) always higher than the actual price of the sale.

Good luck!

acurael 12-24-2012 11:32 AM

Ok so everything is settled with ICBC and I put a deposit on a 2010 GLK with 32,000km. Will be finalized at end of week. Its mercedes certified. Only thing i wondered is they replaced the two right side tires (rear and front) due to sidewall damage. So the right side tires are brand new and on the other side the tires have 70%. Is this ok? Its an AWD? any harm that can be done?

dared3vil0 12-24-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 8114863)
Ok so everything is settled with ICBC and I put a deposit on a 2010 GLK with 32,000km. Will be finalized at end of week. Its mercedes certified. Only thing i wondered is they replaced the two right side tires (rear and front) due to sidewall damage. So the right side tires are brand new and on the other side the tires have 70%. Is this ok? Its an AWD? any harm that can be done?

Anything more than a 2/32" difference is bad for the AWD. Less than that and your good, More than that and you'll need to shave the new ones, Or buy 2 to replace the 70% ones.

eurochevy 12-24-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 8103482)
Guys I need your advice and expertise asap!

Got in a car accident on friday. Was told today it is a total loss by ICBC. Shop looked at it and said its a write-off.

Car is a 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe sport model automatic (Top of line model in that year - only option that it does not have is navigation).
- Of course I just got brand new snow tires put on just last week (spent 975 dollars on tires plus installation and taxes. Also got brand new rear brakes put on ($600) and an alignment ($107) in early december/end of november.
- history of car. Full maintenance.
- Accident free.
- around 114,000 KM (guy on phone said this is normal for the year and i have about 400 km less than average and thats worth five bucks?). Guy seemed like a jerk

I have a feeling they will lowball me on the payout. What are the steps I should take to get the amount i deserve? I am thinking the car is worth 20-21 thousand? I will have to do some more research.

It sucks because the car was in brand new condition and I don't think i will be able to find a car in as good condition as mine for that amount of money.

The guy on the phone said he is sending it out to some other people in ICBC that put together the payout package. Just trying to be fully prepared and avoid getting screwed. I hate dealing with ICBC. :devil:

Thanks

i'd say more like 17-20 depending on condition max

acurael 12-24-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8114877)
Anything more than a 2/32" difference is bad for the AWD. Less than that and your good, More than that and you'll need to shave the new ones, Or buy 2 to replace the 70% ones.

hmmm not sure if 70% vs 100% would be a 2/32 difference? Wish I knew it before negotiating the price.

dared3vil0 12-24-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurael (Post 8114903)
hmmm not sure if 70% vs 100% would be a 2/32 difference? Wish I knew it before negotiating the price.

You're going to have to measure it with a tread depth guage.