REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

ICBC: total loss. Need help asap please!

Guys I need your advice and expertise asap!

Got in a car accident on friday. Was told today it is a total loss by ICBC. Shop looked at it and said its a write-off.

Car is a 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe sport model automatic (Top of line model in that year - only option that it does not have is navigation).
- Of course I just got brand new snow tires put on just last week (spent 975 dollars on tires plus installation and taxes. Also got brand new rear brakes put on ($600) and an alignment ($107) in early december/end of november.
- history of car. Full maintenance.
- Accident free.
- around 114,000 KM (guy on phone said this is normal for the year and i have about 400 km less than average and thats worth five bucks?). Guy seemed like a jerk

I have a feeling they will lowball me on the payout. What are the steps I should take to get the amount i deserve? I am thinking the car is worth 20-21 thousand? I will have to do some more research.

It sucks because the car was in brand new condition and I don't think i will be able to find a car in as good condition as mine for that amount of money.

The guy on the phone said he is sending it out to some other people in ICBC that put together the payout package. Just trying to be fully prepared and avoid getting screwed. I hate dealing with ICBC.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you're doing ok.

According to CBB, the trade in value of your car ranges from $10,800 to $13,865. So while the car might be worth $21k to you, I suspect the market value is gonna be much closer to ~$17k.

Full maintenance history will certainly help if you are actually re-selling the car privately. But in the eyes of ICBC, I suspect they'd hardly amount to anything at all. Being accident-free previously will put your car's value closer to the top of the range, but again, ~$17k - $18k is probably what I will expect.

If you still have receipts of your recent purchases and services, I'd present those to the adjuster when he informs you of the car's write off value. I have a feeling the new snow tires will help, but the maintenance stuff won't. Also, find as many current ads on CL and other classified ads for cars that are as similar to yours as possible. Essentially, you want to present a case to the adjuster that the market value of your car is worth more than whatever write off amount he is offering you. But again, ICBC isn't stupid, and they do this sort of thing on a regular basis. If you've done your homework, you'd probably be able to get them to budge a bit, but I can't imagine the amount being over $1.5k when the car is "only" worth $17 - $18k.

Good luck with the orderal.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Similar cars FS. Get online, put some similar cars ads together and show them what the value is. Honestly though, I can't imagine them giving you even close to 21k. The car just wouldn't cost that much to replace. A quick look shows that the same car with about half the kilometres go for about 18-19k. That being said, if you can get that out of them, you come out on top.

Last edited by westopher; 12-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Theres one for sale on here with clean history and lower kms than yours and it's listed for 16.9k. Good luck trying to get 21k but you never know
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

for a total loss, maintenance means next to nothing. Cars need to be maintained. That's the cost of owning one. Same with brakes. Brakes wear out and need to be replaced.

Best thing to do is try to figure out what that car would cost to replace. Check Craigslist / Buy & Sell etc... if it's a 17k car, you should get around 17k; if it's a 21k car, you should get around 21k.

If you have a receipt for the tires, ICBC may add that additional cost into their settlement, or you can take the tires off and keep them.

Good luck
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
^ You can't take parts off the car once you've given it up....
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^Agreed about the tires make sure you send the receipt, chances are your not gonna get the same car in future so you might as well take the cash.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Have those receipts ready for the adjuster, they make a difference.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

was it silver? i seen one being towed the other day front end all messy.
polygoon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira112 View Post
Have those receipts ready for the adjuster, they make a difference.
depends on the adjuster, they'll give you the blue book value most of the time but again... standard maintanence won't add value to the car. it's like me saying well I've filled up on at least 5000$ in gas since I've owned the car, it's consumable goods necessary for the car to run

I believe there's a few sites online that would give you the value of your car, I was trying to sell my car for 12000$.. it gave me Kelly's blue book value high of 7700, low of 5000. only has 50, 000 on it
Posted via RS Mobile
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #11

car was black. Im glad im still alive, but figuring this all out when being injured really sucks. I'm trying to figure out what car i should get to replace it? I only get a rental car for 3 days after they give the settlement. I need a car (hopefully i am able to go back to work by then)
I dont want to spend more than 29,000 im thinking but still want a luxurious car with some power. I want four door and AWD. Any ideas? want low maintenance and roomy this time around. Looking at old 5 series but worried about possible maintenance costs, same goes for Audi. Argh.....
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
ICBC looks up the actual cash value (ACV) of your car using a database called Autosource. Autosource compiles the advertised prices of the same make and model in your area.

If you disagree with the first offer, then you'll need to show ICBC proof that your car is worth more than Autosource says. Here are some other sources that ICBC uses when there is a dispute with Autosource:

Buy Sell
Newspaper
Trader publications
Vancouver auto auctions
Internet sites

Make sure any ads you show them are dated. If the ad says OBO then ICBC will assume the car sold for 10% less.

You can also ask the sales manager of car dealerships to help you. Make sure they put it in writing, provide their contact details, and give you the cash/no trade price.

The fact that you just put new tires and brakes on should likely help you negotiate more money from them after they make the first offer only because there has been so little time for any depreciation to take place on those items.

Also one other thing to think about. If you were injured in your accident, then when you negotiate your settlement from ICBC you can ask for compensation for any out of pocket expenses as a direct result of the accident (like extra rental car days, for example).
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
car was black. Im glad im still alive, but figuring this all out when being injured really sucks. I'm trying to figure out what car i should get to replace it? I only get a rental car for 3 days after they give the settlement. I need a car (hopefully i am able to go back to work by then)
I dont want to spend more than 29,000 im thinking but still want a luxurious car with some power. I want four door and AWD. Any ideas? want low maintenance and roomy this time around. Looking at old 5 series but worried about possible maintenance costs, same goes for Audi. Argh.....
The new Subaru legacy's interior is petty nice. All leather and AWD. For older cars, how about the Infiniti G35x or the likes of that?
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
The new Subaru legacy's interior is petty nice. All leather and AWD. For older cars, how about the Infiniti G35x or the likes of that?
Yah looking into the G35x sedan, but I i was never a huge fan of the sedan. Feels like a downgrade from the coupe. But im old now anyways, maybe its time for an old man car?

I was looking at some Audi A4's but unfamiliar with Audi's.

What i really want is an IS350 AWD but they seem impossible to find and way outside my price range.

Any other ideas guys? Want to have some ideas now while im sitting here bored behind my computer with nothing else to do. Can't go for any test drives until I recover which I'm hoping is soon!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
How about a TL?
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Can you drive stick? Perhaps an Evo/sti? Or an Audi S4 (A4's are REALLY slow) or i think you could pick up an 09-10 C300 4Matic or perhaps even a C350 4Matic for ~30k
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
How about a TL?
Posted via RS Mobile
yah looking at those too... Which years had issues with the tranny again? I hate the new beak look but the generation before looks good (2005-2008). But the wife says no to TL.

Another issue im concerned about is safety. After getting in this accident i realize i need a car that is built like a tank. I have taken apart my previous car (acura EL) and it was scary to see the how the car was made like a tin can.
My G felt safer and had heavy doors, same goes for a BMW.

Kinda confused right now to be honest.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Can you drive stick? Perhaps an Evo/sti? Or an Audi S4 (A4's are REALLY slow) or i think you could pick up an 09-10 C300 4Matic or perhaps even a C350 4Matic for ~30k
cannot drive stick (I know i know). But no point in learning because car would be driven by wife and family who don't know and will not learn stick. Needs to be automatic.

Also need enough room for car seat in the future......

yah mercedes are tempting. Have some friends with the 300, but reliability has been an issue (could just be
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #19

Hmm. You're in a tough situation then, Honestly i'd consider an 06-08 Audi A4 and give it a stage 1 APR tune. (Stock are like 8 seconds to 60) With a stage one it would be about as fast, maybe a bit slower than your G. If you wanted more power, just go with a stage 2.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
yah looking at those too... Which years had issues with the tranny again? I hate the new beak look but the generation before looks good (2005-2008). But the wife says no to TL.

Another issue im concerned about is safety. After getting in this accident i realize i need a car that is built like a tank. I have taken apart my previous car (acura EL) and it was scary to see the how the car was made like a tin can.

The ticking time bomb trannys are from 00-03, the not as common but still applicable ones are from 04-06, 07+ on they should be pretty bulletproof.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
I don't get it

Here's a couple at urbangarage (you said luxury so I went to their site and picked a few that I would personally consider.) Maintenance might be a bit on the high side with these vehicles. YMMV.

2005 C55 AMG $22900
http://urbangarage.com/cdetails.asp?...&Category=TUGN

If you can swing an extra few thousand, get the ultra rare 2004 RS6 $36900:
http://urbangarage.com/cdetails.asp?...&Category=TUGN
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
But no point in learning because car would be driven by wife and family who don't know and will not learn stick. Needs to be automatic.

Also need enough room for car seat in the future......
Maybe this is an opportunity for upgrading to Wagon, CUV or even SUV
If your plan is a family vehicle for baby (in very near future).

Infinite EX35, A4 Avant, Legacy wagon...etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:

The sentence in bold lettering scares me, cause I also have a EL

As for your next car, what about a 05ish RL ? Those are quite nice and you don't see too many of them around.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #24

Infiniti M35x?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Infiniti M35x?
looking at that too now...lol

What about mercedes GLK 350 ? Are they reliable? anyone have experience/feedback on this SUV?

i found a 2010 for 31,000 a bit out of budget, but might be wise to invest in the SUV now? any idea how the maintenance is on a GLK?