REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Soundproofing Question

Hi was just wondering if anyone had any general information about how to soundproof a bedroom by the door so noise can be reduced or not escape on the other end.

Long story short my room has a door which connects to another hallway and a bedroom on the other side of this hallway but is considered really close to one another.

My question is would it be possible to purchase some sort of product locally to reduce some noise by applying it to the door.

Was google-ing some stuff earlier but didnt find it helpful

Thanks
Advertisement
zEek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You can replace your door with a solid wood door if you have a hollow one now. Also, if you have a gap under your door, you need to fill it with some sort of solid sweep.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post
You can replace your door with a solid wood door if you have a hollow one now. Also, if you have a gap under your door, you need to fill it with some sort of solid sweep.
Not sure the difference of that in terms of doors..

I have a wooden door right now its pretty solid.
But yes I have a small 1inch gap on the floor.

I read up egg-cartons could work because sound bounces off.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Egg cartons do work..

The difference in doors is the "hollow core" is HOLLOW, meaning the thickness is actually very slim because of the negative space inside the door. Getting a "solid core" wood door would mean that it would be solid wood through the door eliminating the negative space and blocking more noise coming through the door.

You could also stick foam on the back of your door, instead of ugly egg cartons
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Get some door weather stripping for the bottom of the door. Something like this: TAGO | Adjustable Doorsweep Vinyl - White | Home Depot Canada

second what type of noise are you trying to block?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

If it's just temporary you can use clothes/towels to block the gap on the bottom.

Last edited by JKam; 12-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Egg cartons do work..
My old company had a sound proof room and the walls were padded with foam that looked like egg cartons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
put a pillow over her face

/thread
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Egg cartons do work..

The difference in doors is the "hollow core" is HOLLOW, meaning the thickness is actually very slim because of the negative space inside the door. Getting a "solid core" wood door would mean that it would be solid wood through the door eliminating the negative space and blocking more noise coming through the door.

You could also stick foam on the back of your door, instead of ugly egg cartons
Which way do I tape on the egg cartons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Get some door weather stripping for the bottom of the door. Something like this: TAGO | Adjustable Doorsweep Vinyl - White | Home Depot Canada

Just talking on skype / on the phone late at night or when im playing games , and having music on without headphones but not at a very loud volume just decent.
Ill check that product out thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
If it's just temporary you can use clothes/towels to block the gap on the bottom.
Alright will try Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Hang a moving blanket in front of your door.

Sound Blankets Producers Choice Sound Blankets Producers Choice BW +Grommets. Set of 6 VB-70G(6), Black Acoustic

Pratt Retail Specialties, LLC | Moving Blanket 72 Inch x 80 Inch | Home Depot Canada

For egg crate lyou want the bumpy facing you. Local place that carries it. http://www.foamshop.com/?loadpage=pr...ndproofing.php

Any gaps in the door will let the sound out.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ question, could these products be put in laundry rooms or where the furnace, or even tank-less (on demand) water heaters are? or would it be flammable?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
^ question, could these products be put in laundry rooms or where the furnace, or even tank-less (on demand) water heaters are? or would it be flammable?
Spray them with this: Home Hardware - 236g Fire Retardant Spray
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
Under the circumstances noted, I would not use the blanket method; even if its been sprayed with fire-retardant chemicals.

I would use a solid core door; Home Depot use to have unpainted versions on special fairly routinely, but I haven't looked recently.

If you're willing to take a risk to do it on a budget: I think you could drill holes along the side of a door and fill it with low expansion expanding foam, it would probably take 5-6 cans. Just an idea, I take no responsibility for potentially fucked up doors.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 168b View Post
Hi was just wondering if anyone had any general information about how to soundproof a bedroom by the door so noise can be reduced or not escape on the other end.

Long story short my room has a door which connects to another hallway and a bedroom on the other side of this hallway but is considered really close to one another.

My question is would it be possible to purchase some sort of product locally to reduce some noise by applying it to the door.

Was google-ing some stuff earlier but didnt find it helpful

Thanks

OP, visit here and email the experts.

SoundAway - Residential and Commercial Soundproofing
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #15

Thanks for the replies / suggestions
I've began the egg carton project, and will most likely get something to cover the gap on the bottom for now.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
we soundproofed a room in our house, used 4 layers of corkboard on every wall, ceiling aand floor. , staggered each layer, silicone in each and every gap, solid door with seals on all four sides, its now vibe proof and soundproof!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Solis core doors are about $100 and if you take the existing door to a place like windsor plywood, the will mill and drill it to the existing specs, so you just re-hang it. That costs an extra $30 or so.

If you are looking to limit sound through walls, they sell special drywall that is about $60/sheet and you use a special glue on the existing drywall and its supposed to cut sound by about 30-40%. That is all available at Lowe's.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
^^^
And we also used the soundproofing drywall on top of everything.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Under the circumstances noted, I would not use the blanket method; even if its been sprayed with fire-retardant chemicals.

I would use a solid core door; Home Depot use to have unpainted versions on special fairly routinely, but I haven't looked recently.

If you're willing to take a risk to do it on a budget: I think you could drill holes along the side of a door and fill it with low expansion expanding foam, it would probably take 5-6 cans. Just an idea, I take no responsibility for potentially fucked up doors.
I think that would completely fuck the door...even the low expansion. And there would still be a big pocket in the middle. The center of hollow core is filled with a honey comb of cardboard to stabilize the door(it takes a lot of effort to make cheap shit). You'd have a hell of a time actually filling it with foam.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I think that would completely fuck the door...even the low expansion. And there would still be a big pocket in the middle. The center of hollow core is filled with a honey comb of cardboard to stabilize the door(it takes a lot of effort to make cheap shit). You'd have a hell of a time actually filling it with foam.
Interesting. I've cut into a hollow core door, but it had vertical not horizontal honeycombs like google is currently showcasing. Damn cheap doors.

Acoustic drywall costs a fortune, I wouldn't ever consider using it outside a theater room.

Anytime I've worked on a basement suite type deal, where the owners wanted soundproofing on a budget at the construction phase, I've suggested insulation, followed by resiliant channel, followed by donnaconna, followed by sheetrock. All that works out to be about a quarter of the costs of the drywall, offers fire stopping, resists sound transmission very near to equally as well as acoustic drywall, and the only real downside is an additional inch of ceiling height/wall thickness.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
ya my friend is using the insulating foam for sound proofing the wall between suites in his home

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Roxul Safe and Sound Insulation, Sound Rated insulation available at the home depot
jde_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jde_100 View Post
Roxul Safe and Sound Insulation, Sound Rated insulation available at the home depot
Here's a tip.

Acoustic and thermal insulation are identical, they're different only in name.

It's not necessary to pay a premium to purchase Roxel S&S or Owens Corning Quiet Zone acoustic rated insulation, stick to ordinary thermal rated insulation and you'll have more selection at better prices. I would also advise using good fiberglass like John Mansville unless code requires mineral wool, because the later has high formaldehyde content (7-8% by weight) which diffuses into the air you're breathing. If you're after fire stropping, use fire rated 5/8 sheet rock not mineral wool.