REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #51
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Maybe they should go ahead and give the team that lost a participation trophy as well.

The pussification of society continues.

How many people who say "they should ease up, its not pro sports, its highschool sports just for fun" have never played a sport in their life? It doesn't matter if you're 33 years old in the NHL playoffs or 14 in highschool basketball or 23 in monday night co-ed indoor soccer. EVERYONE plays to win and goes out and competes. When you're in that game, it's all you think about. You don't have the luxury of sitting behind a computer saying 'its just a silly game, its not pro sports'. No one wants to lose, and equally as much, no one wants to half ass it. Sports is about doing your best, not about saving your opponents feelings. "Just have a good time, don't worry about winning" is what parents say to fat 5 year olds crying on the sidelines because they suck at sports.
Ironically, this seldom happens in pro sports.

There's a difference between competing and running up the score. Why do you think there's garbage time? When the Bulls were leading the Grizzlies by 30 after the half, they take Jordan and Pippen out of the game and tell Dennis Rodman to shoot. In amateur hockey leagues around town, if the score differential is 7 or more, the clock keeps running through stoppage.

Totally agree with competing. It's more insulting if a team takes pity on the shittier team and maybe that 0-23 team just shouldn't play but I don't know...maybe when it's 50-0, put on your second stringers and give them some playing time?

Don't know...it just doesn't sound like they let up at all and played 110% to the final whistle, which really isn't necessary but it's equally on the shitty team's coach for even fielding a team that bad.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
It's confusing to players to tell them to play 110% until the whistle or final buzzard sounds 99% of the time and then in one game tell them to let up against a weaker team.

As far as insulting the other team, it's going to happen either way. Continue to play your top guys 110% and beat them by a lot.
Miss on purpose or play second string players and the losing team may not feel any better with the pitty points.

Playing running time or some mercy rule may be the best solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It's confusing to players to tell them to play 110% until the whistle or final buzzard sounds 99% of the time and then in one game tell them to let up against a weaker team.
That's why you use your second stringers. Or give the top players challenges, like only score 3 pointers. That way they can input 110% without necessarily continuing the unnecessary beatdown.

It's really about respect for people (in general). And it's unnecessary to blow out a team that badly. It's almost the same as why players get critcizsed for showboating after a goal or touchdown or whatever. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NFL penalizes showboating after a TD).

Maybe you can blame the league's organization for pairing these teams together. Or you can blame the weaker team's coach for creating such a weak team to compete. But the matter of hand is the winning coach had control of the situation at this particular moment/game, and he decided to tell his team to continue full throttle when he could have made a more respectable decision.

And about the losing team feeling worst by playing against second stringers. That's silly. If I was down 50-2, and the other team started putting out their benchwarmers, I would see it as a respectable act from the other team. Given that they aren't just fooling around and shooting air balls just to mock my team.

As "serious business" that sports can be, let's remember that this is highschool basketball. Let's not forget about core reason why people play... "It's fun". If the game's clearly already over by half time, put the second stringers out try to keep it somewhat competitive...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

All the sports I played through HS it was hammered in my brain to always give %110 and never slow down. That being said, when we were killing another team (in my case Volleyball) our starting lineup would usually be sub'd out and I'd sit on the bench, let the younger guys play (we would still romp them though). If there's one thing my coaches would never do would be to tell us to not try or give it our all. IMO, it's worse for the loosing team to see another team joking around and playing like crap... still kicking your ass than it is to just get outright beat.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #55
F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
That's why you use your second stringers. Or give the top players challenges, like only score 3 pointers. That way they can input 110% without necessarily continuing the unnecessary beatdown.

It's really about respect for people (in general). And it's unnecessary to blow out a team that badly. It's almost the same as why players get critcizsed for showboating after a goal or touchdown or whatever. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NFL penalizes showboating after a TD).

Maybe you can blame the league's organization for pairing these teams together. Or you can blame the weaker team's coach for creating such a weak team to compete. But the matter of hand is the winning coach had control of the situation at this particular moment/game, and he decided to tell his team to continue full throttle when he could have made a more respectable decision.

And about the losing team feeling worst by playing against second stringers. That's silly. If I was down 50-2, and the other team started putting out their benchwarmers, I would see it as a respectable act from the other team. Given that they aren't just fooling around and shooting air balls just to mock my team.

As "serious business" that sports can be, let's remember that this is highschool basketball. Let's not forget about core reason why people play... "It's fun". If the game's clearly already over by half time, put the second stringers out try to keep it somewhat competitive...
Maybe I'm missing something but where in the article does it say that the coach didn't put in the 2nd stringers or tell his team to practice certain things? What if he did all those things and the team still won 107-2? And just cause you might have played high school sports for fun doesn't mean there weren't girls on this team playing for a potential scholarship at a post secondary institution.
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #56
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol beating a team thats well below your skill level and boasting about it.... what is there to be proud of?

beating a team thats better then you THEN boast about it...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #57
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Damn, thats pretty nuts

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #58

this is a thread? this is news?
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

One of my biggest pet peeves is when Professional teams, that is, MLB, NFL and NHL, NBA etc lose badly and then accuse the other team of running up the score?

like ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!??

I remember one time an NFL team was dominating and they sent in the backup quarterback in the 4th quarter and instead of doing running plays to stop the clock, they played Passing plays, and made the lead bigger.

If you are losing to a backup QB with 3-rd / 4th string Wide receivers and you are paid $$ millions, it's your JOB to not let them in the end zone.

\\\end rant
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
Why'd you do that for?

i would fail you but i couldn't. this topic does not deserve a thread
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #61
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,695 Times in 1,625 Posts
Is there some sort of Revscene Rulebook that outlines a guide to what deserves and doesn't deserve its own thread? Unless you're paying for bandwidth I don't really see why people come here to say such things.

It's a damn forum. You know, to post things.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #62
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

The funny thing is they are all mad that they embarrassed the other team so badly. They make a big deal about it and it gets on the news. Now instead of two towns knowing how bad the one team lost the entire world knows. Good job
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #63
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
In Ice604 if you are up 5-7+ goals. they run the whole third period through without any stops regardless of time left.
FYI Ice604 runs the clock for 3 full periods. Stop time only occurs in the final 2 minutes of the 3rd if there is a 2 or less goal spread.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote