REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Recommand a tripod with head for a noob?`

Can you recommand a tripod and head for me?

I use tripod probably once a month or once every 2 month for family portraits.

I would like a quick release head so i can be mobile as well when kids run around.

I am a beginner, and probably dont need super light weight or carbon fiber stuff that will break my bank.

I am looking for economical solutions that will give me the convenience of quick lease while not being too flimsy and break my camera kit.

I saw this on craiglist but i dunno how this head works or how old this model is and what its worth?Manfrotto Mini Pro Tripod and head

This one seems to have too many knobs for adjustment, but again, i dunno since i never had one to play with.

I think that is about what my budget allows.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
I'm not familiar enough with different models to recommend you a specific set, but here's what I know about tripods and heads:

Each tripod, and to some extent the head, has a "maximum load" rating - this is how heavy your camera+lens+flash+whatever can be before the tripod can't handle it. You did say you're a "noob" so I'm assuming your gear isn't very heavy, but still something to think about.

You can get a 3 step, or a 4 step; 4 steps are either more compact or can reach higher heights, but are generally more weaker.

For the head, you can get a ball-head, which is most common, and is just one knob that loosens and tightens the ball. Simple and works well. The alternative is 3 knobs that control each axis, but this is geared more towards videographers.

I personally have a Manfrotto aluminum tripod, and have no complaints about it what-so-ever. It does however get kind of cold during the winter lol.

My suggestion to you, if RS can't give you a good model, is to visit any Camera store. Kerrisdale Camera, Broadway camera, etc, all have a variety of tripods out on display that you can go and feel around. Prices in Canada are significantly more expensive in the states though, so that's also something to consider.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
i'll sell you my like new http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-Pro-Aluminum-SBH-100/dp/B003XDU2XQ
($100)

let me know.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^that's a steal. all new tripods in that price range are junk compared to the vanguards.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I will have a read up. I think it could work for me.
Posted via RS Mobile
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
I don't get it

I've had a manfrotto 055X PROB tripod (~$129) and a 498RC2 Ballhead (~$99) for 2 years now and i love it!
not light, but it does the job.
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I recommend the Manfrotto 410 Junior Gear head if you like to make fine adjustments and movements quickly.

I had the 804RC2 head and it takes much longer to get into the position you want and doesn't feel as stable.

Also if you want to have your camera perfectly level using a gear head is the fastest way to do so IMO.
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote