REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Euro Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/euro-tech-resources_318/)
-   -   Mercedes Benz C300 - Manual Transmission question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677964-mercedes-benz-c300-manual-transmission-question.html)

Ray-316 12-15-2012 02:48 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 - Manual Transmission question

I own a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 - 6 speed manual transmission.

I drive and own manual transmission cars all my life. Yesterday, I was driving to work and my car stalled. Weird, but I didn't think much of it and started the car again. The car shook really bad as I move and I knew something was not right.

I tried restarting the car and when I stepped on the clutch, and it was stiffer then usually. I also couldn't put my car in gear. So, I had my car towed to the Mercedes dealership. Today, Mercedes called and they told me I needed a new clutch. I was so surprised to hear my clutch went since I baby my car. I never abused the clutch ever. The service adviser said, my car was due for a new clutch at80k.

Not sure if anyone experience something like this or know anything, but any feedback is much appreciated.

bcrdukes 12-15-2012 03:05 PM

I suppose it all really depends on how you drive and it would make a difference if you're primarily driving in the city. I don't own this particular car but at 80,000km, it sounds about right for a new clutch. However, I'm quite surprised it died out so early. Most OEM clutches are good until 100k if you push it, if not, a little bit more.

Interested in seeing what the final result is.

Energy 12-15-2012 03:12 PM

OT but how's the clutch and shifter on the C-Class? I've never seen a manual version of that car ever.

bcrdukes 12-15-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8107801)
OT but how's the clutch and shifter on the C-Class? I've never seen a manual version of that car ever.

LOL Same! I thought Mercedes-Benz pretty much made manual transmission a "special order" option only, if at all! :fuckthatshit:

Edit: Who makes their transmissions, anyway? Borg-Warner?

Ray-316 12-15-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8107801)

I love it. It has a nice feel to it. I was always a BMW guy but when I found a Mercedes with a manual transmission, I was all over it. Yeah, it’s my daily commuter.

Mercedes-Benz Canada does offer cars with manual transmission but it’s very rare to find them on the market.

On the Mercedes forum, I saw one of the guys posts, his clutch went at 50k and he claimed he never abuse the clutch. Car was leased and of course, warranty did not cover it.

xjc11 12-15-2012 09:05 PM

Are you the first owner of the car?

Ray-316 12-17-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjc11 (Post 8108046)
Are you the first owner of the car?

Nope. 2nd owner. It was a lease return

Ray-316 12-17-2012 08:46 PM

So this is what Mercedes service adviser told me... Basically something broke or jammed and I need a new clutch, vacuum plate and release bearing :banghead:

xjc11 12-18-2012 10:47 AM

:heckno: hope ur covered by warranty
First owner probably learned manual on your car

!SG 12-19-2012 09:00 AM

BY vacuum plate you mean pressure plate? there is a big difference between sucking and blowing. =D

a clutch job usually includes:
- clutch plate
- pressure plate
- release bearing.

all items should be replaced, otherwise, if any one fails, the whole tranny has to come back out and everything seperated again.

saying a clutch should last 100k is saying the same for brakes. what if you live in an area that has a lot of hills, or a lot of traffic. you will use the clutch and the brake more frequent and thus will be replaced sooner than the avg 100k estimate.