REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Varadero / Havana, Cuba

So I just returned from 15 days in Cuba.

diez dias en la habana y cinco dias en Varadero.
(10 days in Havana and 5 days in Varadero)

Had an amazing time.
I was traveling with 4 other guy friends, all the girlfriends/wives were left at home.
First off, I took alot of videos and none are uploaded. So the pics are here, but alot of details are missing because i took more videos than photos during my trip.

We arrived about 5am to our Resort in Varadero.
We stayed for 2 nights All-inclusive at Iberostar Varadero. Rated #1 Resort in Varadero.

Now I have been to Peurto Vallarta, and Cancun Mexico several times, and I know what traditional All-inclusives offer and what to expect.

Surprisingly, Iberostar Met and exceeded my expectations for Food and quality of service, not only for Cuba but for all Caribbean hotspots.

So to start, the beaches were.. wow.

The resort

We jumped in a Old 50's Chevy convertible, and went to Varadero downtown. before we left canada, we stopped by a dollar store, and spent about 200 cdn on children's toys. Then we told the taxi driver to drive around the poor areas and when he saw children to tell them to come to the car and get free toys.

Then 2 days have flew by, drinking by the pool, playing volleyball and laying on the beach with the warm caribbean sea.

We were off to Havana.

Took a taxi Van to get us there, cost about $140 CUC. ( nearly 95-98% conversion rate to CDN )

Van looked like this one:

We had a driver for most of our time in Havana, Miguel. This Hyundai van also took us to The Bay of Pigs a few days later.

So on our drive we drove through Matanzas. El Bastardo said it very well, it feels like real cuba, with little rebuilt over the years.

Then on the other side of Matanzas was this huge bridge.
Bridge of Bacunayagua. It was 1000ft drop. Beautiful jungleish views with dozens of turkey vultures circling above.

When we arrived to Havana, we drove through the city, on the Malecon. We stayed in a Private Oceanfront Villa in Miramar. Miramar is like Kitsilano is to Vancouver. More rich houses and wealthy neighbourhood.

This is the best online listing I could find about it:
Casa particular con piscina de Isis en Miramar, Cuba
This place was $700 CUC a night. we were here for 6 nights.
Here are my pics of it.

As you can see, i bought a Brick motorola phone from China. And it was flawless. I only charged it 3 times in 15 days.

This Villa came with 24 hour private security, daily maid service, a fulltime Chef/bartender and laundry service.

We had a menu that we could choose to have the chef cook for us for any or all our meals onsite, but a friend on our trip has sever food allergies so even with proper translations and strict guidelines he did not want to risk getting sick in a foreign country so we decided to cook most ourselves when needed to.
this is 9 bottles of rum/tequila/vodka... for 50 CUC

A few days into our trip we were told that Cuba has the best bonefishing in the world. I have never been before, some of my friends are avid fishermen. So the majority has spoken and we booked a fishing trip to Bahia de cochinos. ( The bay of Pigs ) That is about 2 hours south, and needing to stay in a casa particular near La playa Larga to get up early enough for the 7am fishing trip.
Back in April 17th 1961, the bay of pigs is where the US CIA tried to invade cuba. Tried.... lol. Bay of Pigs Invasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So we drove for 2 hours, leaving our $700/night villa to stay for $25/room here in la playa larga

$3 mojitos

$10 lobster fish and shrimp dinner

My buddy and a croc

So anyways, we wake up early. Get picked up by the driver for our expedition go and pay for the fishing trip to the government... then we drive 25kms... on a dirt road.... that had alot of bumps and pot holes.... with 11 people in one truck.

I probably saw about 1000 flamingos.

So we finally get there. And these were the boats we paid for...

Flat bottom, non-motorized boats.
I never fly fished in my life, and this experience was not to my liking.
I was pushed around for 8 hours in this shallow ocean.

As far as the eye could see, the water wasnt deeper than my knees.

Over 1 million acres of fishing area.

here it is on google maps. and look at the road we took to get there:S
https://www.google.ca/maps?q=Playa+L...zas,+Cuba&z=17

Then it started to rain... more like Pour. You remember that scene in the Notebook on the lake and the rain... yup. just like that.

So all in all, this day of fishing costs each one of my friends about 450 CUC.
Not thrilled about it.

So we return back to Havana that night... and it is our last night in the Villa.

The next day we check out, we are now staying at the Penthouse in the Atlantic Condo's. Here is the listing for it:
https://www.mycasaparticular.com/en/...lle.php?id=130 The room was $1000 CDN a night. 24 hour maids in suite. We had a staff of 8 people taking care of us.

for all the cigar aficionados we had a $3000 humidor in our penthouse

Alot of famous people and celebrites stay in this same suite all year round. It is like fort knox. The front door was actually like a safe.

Now we went to marina hemingway to checkout some boats to charter a private fishing trip. we negotiated 5 hours for only $600.
A 42ft something rather. came with 5 deep sea fishing reels with heavy line. Also came equiped with electronic downriggers on the reels themselves! Never seen that up in Canada.

This time of year, The Marlin are long gone, so all we had to hope for was Tuna and Wahoo.

using needle fish as bait

So we were out on the water for almost 5 hours without catching anything worthwhile... as we were heading back to the shore, BAM BAM BAM... three rods were peeling line.
First we thought we caught 1, and the other two lines got tangled... nope.

So we gave the skipper 1 Wahoo, and told him to filet the other two for us.

We brought the fish back to our penthouse, and made the chef cook up over 25lbs of wahoo, and invited all the staff to have a feast.

next day, we went to Old Havana.
took our driver there, and he jumped in the adventure aswell. we rented 3 coco taxis and ripped around old havana in style.

time to check out and head back to varadero. iberostar varadero again for 3 nights, and then a flight back to reality.

thats about it, I know I missed alot but without more pictures to show its hard to describe things.

here are some strange cuba rules we are not used to.These rules apply mostly to cuban's thou. not tourists.

It is illegal to buy fruit or vegetables from anyone other than the government markets. If you are in a car and driving to a friends house with fruit in your car and you get pulled over. If you cannot produce a receipt that you paid for them at the supermarket..... 4 years in jail.
same goes for lobster, apples, oranges, or cigars not bought at the factory.

A female cuban, cannot be seen talking to or hanging out with any tourists / foreigners. If they are seen with tourists, then can be arrests for suspected prostitution. If you do meet a Cuban girl, and truly hit it off, both you and her must go to the police station and announce boyfriend and girlfriend status. But if she is seen with a tourist after that point, and not you, Arrested and put to jail for prostitution.

Any drug related offenses are extremely severe. 2-5 years for possession, 25 years for trafficking. In solitary. No visitors.

One thing that really stood-out in my 15 days in Cuba, there was ZERO anger, hostility, roadrage, confrontations, arguments, not even any sarcasm or rude stares. They get along with each other and with everyone else. The government has everyone scared straight to step out of line. The littlest thing will send you to jail for years. And the second thing that stood-out was, every young person was extremely fit, very healthy looking, well dressed... the communist system atleast has food/healthcare/schooling taken care of. So people are not starving, they eat the essentials. And by the looks of it, its expensive to get fat and eat wrong. No one can afford it.

Its getting real late, so if anyone has any questions about cuba please feel free to fire them off on here or PM. Everything is still fresh in my mind.

Oh and if any of you plan to travel here... the biggest tip of all.

BRING ENOUGH CASH WITH YOU. Dont rely on your bank cards/visas.
Advertisement

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
SiRVs up, dude

I'm heading out in a week, and reading this great post is helping me mentally prepare for the trip! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
PRINCESS

Sorry for bumping a some what old thread
Any recommendations for good not too pricey cigars and liqs in Cuba and where to buy them?
Leaving in a week!
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
Sorry for bumping a some what old thread
Any recommendations for good not too pricey cigars and liqs in Cuba and where to buy them?
Leaving in a week!
Where are you going in Cuba?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
PRINCESS

Staying Varadero (Ibero Laguna Azul) and visiting Havana for a day
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey MWR, how safe do you think it is for a female to travel to Cuba alone? I have been working 60 - 70 weeks for the last 9 months and need a break. I can't get away until September and my buddies can't get time off.

I stumbled across Iberostar Varadero when I was deciding between Cuba and Costa Rica and it sounds like a great resort.

Thank you for posting your pictures!
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
Staying Varadero (Ibero Laguna Azul) and visiting Havana for a day
Sup MeowMeow,
from what I was told, the best place to ask, is the hotel valet or your taxi driver, real and decent priced.
It truly is hard to buy legit cigars for cheap. everyone will say they know a guy and turns out to be fake. we bought about 8 boxes of cigars, and the cigars looked legit, the cigar wrap looked legit, but the box and "serial number sticker" didnt. 2 of the 8 boxes had the same serial numbers on it.. and the other few were near the same numbers but purchased from two different cities. the attention to detail is what u should look for. the cigar tag label thing, should be easy to read, real shiney gold accents, embossed (raised) bumps or letters. real or fake, u can bring back 2 boxes of cigars per person.

dont buy art without a document stating where u got it from, I almost got some stuff seized in cuba for not producing documentation about it.

silly i know, but u could be bringing back priceless art and passing it off as cheap street art. which mine was, cheap.

and PS, try to go to havana for atleast 1 night, 2 days. you cant see it all in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Hey MWR, how safe do you think it is for a female to travel to Cuba alone? I have been working 60 - 70 weeks for the last 9 months and need a break. I can't get away until September and my buddies can't get time off.

I stumbled across Iberostar Varadero when I was deciding between Cuba and Costa Rica and it sounds like a great resort.

Thank you for posting your pictures!
Sup B!tch,
Iberostar V is the best resort in varadero, Varadero is nothing special in terms of Cuba feel. yes they have a downtown area which is surrounded by cuba poverty, but besides the old cars, it feels like old Vallarta or downtown cancun. If you want to take in some real cuba, take a bus to Matanzas en route to Havana. Havana has some real nice old history. Varadero is just a beach strip town. catered to tourists. If you just go to Cuba for varadero, your missing out alot. unless u love the beach and resort feel u get anywhere else in mexico.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
PRINCESS

Hey thanks for the update but I already came back few days ago haha.

I got jeeped hard for cigars and cigarettes. Bought it at cigar factory but airport was selling them for cheaper
No one ever asked me for any documentation. I was told by some dude that they check whether cigars or fake or not and if u have fake ones u get fined $500 but no one asked me if I had cigars at the airport (I had them ready in my purse too)

For future reference:
Habana was nice. Take private tour guide (ask door guys to hook you up). Sunwing was charging $59/person. With private tour guide I only paid $18. I don't buy cigars and alcohol from Habana. It was cheaper St the resort and airport (I paid $25 for carton of cohiba at cigar factory and airport them had same ones for 18).

I stayed at Iberostar Laguna Azul. For a 5 star hotel it was kinda shitty. But then again its Cuba. Nice hotel nice people but food freaking sucked. Everything was way too salty and they served me sweet sushi. And I really mean SWEET SWEET (not slightly sweet seasoned okay?) sushi. I think I'd rather go back to 5 star Mexico resort I went last year. Oh and minor stuff went missing. Like my tooth paste. I was kinda chapped someone stole my tooth paste. My friend's sunglasses and exactly 12 pesos went missing as well.
My resort had ants problem. Lot of mini ants.
Oh yeah you wanna bring ppl over after wild night at Varadero clubs? Well you're shit outta luck cuz guards won't let you.
Varadero Monday nights for clubbing: go to the Cave or house of music.
Jeep Safari tour was good. That one was worth ma money. You get to drive your own standard jeep whoop whoop

Also, if you're gonna stay at Iberostar Laguna Azul, look for Raymo, Kensi, Jenessa, Carlos and Silvio. Funny peeps. I loved them. I ordered my drinks from Kensi and Raymo so much they knew what to make me as soon as they spotted me.

And what else.... Oh yeah don't take pix with ladies dressed like this unless you're ready to pay:

They'll demand you for 10 pesos after you take pix with your phone cam whatever. Just politely say no thank you and walk away. They won't bug you afterwards.
The guy in blue short (to the colorful dressed lady's left) kept on tripping out because I had purple contacts on. He kept on asking if he could draw me for free. Thought it was a scam and walked off and he kept on following me. He said he didn't need any tips nor money so I sketched out. But now I kinda feel bad :/

Oh and my friends told me Catamaran cruise isn't worth it. Don't bother with them.

It's $8/h for wifi. Thought that was stupid for 5 star resort since it was free at other 5 stars I stayed.
Entertainment was pretty cheesy... I got bored pretty quickly at the resort.
My hotel was supposed to be one of the newest buildings yet it had this old hotel smell.
Cuban and Italian a La carte was pretty good. But I wouldn't try Japanese one after I had that super sweet sushi from the International buffet.

One dinner night they asked me to fill out a survey. I checked off poor for few stuff. So guest services personally called me.... Twice... In the morning fawrk.
My friend's ac broke and his room flooded. Mechanics didn't come for 25 minutes so my friend went little ape shit and they were all super nice to him afterwards.

Overall Cuba was pretty cool but I wouldn't go there again. It was too uncomfortable for me. I loved the people there though. A lot of them are very educated and not super clingy like Mexicans. Oh and Cuban beach is nicer than Mexico beach

Fun times minus the fact I came back to smashed lip cuz my mother drove my car up the curb while I was gone *sigh*

*sorry about my shitty writing skills, just scrambling bunch stuff on my phone right meow*

Last edited by MeowMeow; 08-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
This post thanked by: