REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Hybrid buses get worse fuel efficiency than conventional diesel buses.

OH SHIT!!!!!

City could pay to turn hybrid buses into diesel buses - Ottawa - CBC News
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
It doesn't say anywhere in the article the hybrid buses have poorer fuel efficiency than diesel buses.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
It doesn't say anywhere in the article the hybrid buses have poorer fuel efficiency than diesel buses.

Four years after buying more than 170 hybrid buses, each costing more than regular diesel buses

"There is no doubt that they have been underperforming. We thought we'd get a lot more fuel efficiency out of these hybrid

i think thats what they meant... the gains arnt worth the price.

but i get what you mean, this title is misleading
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
I'm willing to bet that part of the "problem" here has to do with the much more extreme temperatures in Ottawa and Toronto.. Regardless of the underlying technology, batteries do not do well in the cold and under high temperatures. And in Ontario, there is plenty of those more extreme temperatures.

Also, from the sound of it, it seems like some of their hybrid buses were running on the expressways and stuff. As we all know, hybrids tend to do best under stop and go traffic conditions.

In Metro Vancouver, these hybrid buses could still work very well. Naturally (from what I understand), our trolleybuses are even more efficient and cleaner than the hybrid buses.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Yeah, nowhere in the article says "hybrid buses get worse fuel efficiency than conventional diesel buses". It simply says that the hybrid buses are underperforming and the maintenance on hybrid buses will be more costly than diesel buses. So they are considering converting them to diesel buses since that is more financially efficient.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
i think timpo came to that conclusion because the city has ended up spending $1million more than they previously had on diesel fuel costs

Quote:
Each hybrid bus costs anywhere from $100,000 to $150,000 more than regular diesel buses. The city made the investment because it hoped to save on fuel costs.

Instead, the city spent $1 million more on diesel fuel than it expected to last year, Deans said. It also cost more than $7 million to replace the batteries on some hybrid buses last year.

In light of the underperformance, the city's draft budget for 2013 includes $550,000 for a pilot project to rip out the hybrid electric/diesel engines and replace them with regular diesel engines.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Hybrid bus is a lot like a hybrid car, you really have to be doing a serious amount of driving to offset the premium price tag, nonetheless they should do a few trial of this bus in lower mainland, the newer diesel busses are fine but the old one's are crazy noisy
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
LOL what did they expect? Even hybrid cars are a waste of time from both angles. People who buy them wanting to save money on gas are operating on the false rationale that they are saving a few hundred bucks a year on gas by spending tens of thousands of dollars on something (nevermind taxes and delivery charges).............. and people who do it for the environment aren't understanding all the materials to build the car came from the same place as every other car plus they'll be dumping like 40kg of lithium batteries somewhere within the next 10 years.

You're spending more money to save money and polluting in a different way... plus you get a shitty looking slow-ass car as a result. Lose-Lose.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
LOL what did they expect? Even hybrid cars are a waste of time from both angles. People who buy them wanting to save money on gas are operating on the false rationale that they are saving a few hundred bucks a year on gas by spending tens of thousands of dollars on something (nevermind taxes and delivery charges).............. and people who do it for the environment aren't understanding all the materials to build the car came from the same place as every other car plus they'll be dumping like 40kg of lithium batteries somewhere within the next 10 years.

You're spending more money to save money and polluting in a different way... plus you get a shitty looking slow-ass car as a result. Lose-Lose.
This, EXACTLY. If you're so worried about gas mileage and the environment, Buy one of those Jetta TDI's which gets like 50 million KM's to the tank!
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Better safe than Surrey

Having "Hybrid Powered" on the side of a commercial vehicle is just a PR stunt used by corporations.

OCT were very misinformed if they intend to be saving money by purchasing a Hybrid. Our spec team was told from the manufacture (International) that "Hybrids cost more, way more, than the potential cost savings."

Ask Coke how their Frieghtliner Hybrids are...

Last edited by OTG-ZR2; 12-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i think timpo came to that conclusion because the city has ended up spending $1million more than they previously had on diesel fuel costs
No, the city did not spend $1 million more on fuel than in previous budgets.

The city spent $1 million dollars more than expected on fuel.

The fuel costs were higher than expected because the fleet primarily operates outside of optimal conditions for a hybrid, and thus the diesel engines are running continuously. The issue here isn't the buses being hybrids, it's the OTC making poor purchasing decisions for the type of routes they run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Having "Hybrid Powered" on the side of a commercial vehicle is just a PR stunt used by corporations.

OCT were very misinformed if they intend to be saving money by purchasing a Hybrid. Our spec team was told from the manufacture (International) that "Hybrids cost more, way more, than the potential cost savings."

The article demonstrates that optimal conditions are needed for a hybird commerical vehicle to be economically viable, not that it's impossible for one to be.

A bus operating at low speed, stopping constantly, may very well meet those optimal conditions. If OTC was misinformed, so was Translink, because they're also considering converting a portion of the fleet to hybrids for potential fuel savings.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-17-2012 at 06:39 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,010 Posts
A lot of Translink's newer buses have "Hybrid" stickers on the window next to the front doors? How much hybrid are these?

I remember a few years.... well quite a few years ago now, Translink was running some trial buses that ran on alternative fuels like LPG, natural gas, fuel cell, hybrid, etc. They had these wild colour schemes on them. What happened to those projects?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #13

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ohh ok i actually completely misunderstood...for some reason i thought the hybrid bus was getting worse gas mileage than diesel bus.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

instead of spending money to convert these, why don't they just trade them for diesel buses with places more suitable for hybrid technology, ie Vancouver. Now there's a thought
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post

Whats the story there?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Better safe than Surrey

There heavy, slow, and the hybrid only kicks in when they are in downtown core or shuffling around the yard. Driving anywhere in the GVRD from their Coquitlam plant they are just your regular diesel truck with allot more wiring and a cool hybrid decal on the door.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

Don't forget all the weight of the batteries and motors negates most of the fuel savings they supposedly would provide. This would be especially true on a bus - something that weighs tens of thousands of pounds to begin with would need a massive battery + motor system just to get it moving. I would guess that's why they get worse mileage - the battery discharges faster than it can be charged and it and the motor become dead weight.
PetrolHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I've spoken to a bus driver before regarding the performance of the hybrid NFI D60s vs the traditional Cummins powered D60s.

The bus driver mentioned that the hybrid buses are a pain to drive because they simply don't have any "oomph" in comparison to their diesel counterparts, causing the drivers to always have their foot flat on the accelerator.

Though, regardless of which bus it seems like their left foot is always slammed down on the gas

EDIT: correction - right foot

Last edited by Akinari; 12-18-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
...left foot on the gas...?

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
...left foot on the gas...?

lol, I thought something looked off
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
hybrid vehicles are NOT here to stay.. buying one is just a waste of money because it costs less to buy another then it does to get new batteries after they die. They shouldn't even be here to begin with.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
Hybrid bus is a lot like a hybrid car, it's just a marketing scheme to get guilt ridden people to spend way more than they should on something, because they think they are doing the world a favour.
Fixed
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #23

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
hybrid vehicles are NOT here to stay.. buying one is just a waste of money because it costs less to buy another then it does to get new batteries after they die. They shouldn't even be here to begin with.
Porsche and Honda must be idiots then making the new 918 and the new NSX
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Porsche and Honda must be idiots then making the new 918 and the new NSX
I'm sure the 918 and NSX will be significantly more advanced than say, a simple Prius, because if they weren't, I'd be worried.

Doesn't the NSX run on a more electric-based system anyway? Four motors, one at each wheel was it? Some kind of electric assisted AWD crossover system of sorts.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #25
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
IIRC translink was doing research on Hybrid and CNG busses and had purchased a limited number of each. If I remember correctly, they determined that CNG may be worth it, but Hybrids wouldn't.

I still don't understand why Translink doesn't start phasing out the trolleybusses. I get the nostalgia value and all that jazz, but with the additional maintenance costs for the busses, lines and all that jazz, I don't see why it wouldn't be cheaper to move everyone to diesel.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote