REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Translink's Compass Card is Stupid! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678256-translinks-compass-card-stupid.html)

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 10:46 PM

Translink's Compass Card is Stupid!

All this tapping in and tapping out, not being able to use cash to ride the SkyTrain, etc., is just going to be one big headache! So during rush hour you've got 30 people getting off at the same time but each one will have to tap out first before they can get off?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! I'm sure there's also going to be a lot of overcharging too by this "flawless" system! I'm definitely going to be driving more often next year.

Razor Ramon HG 12-22-2012 10:50 PM

They have this same system in Korea.

Turnstiles at every subway station. Tap to get through. Transfers do not require a tap.

Same applies for buses and taxis. You can even use the card at vending machines.

Jer3 12-22-2012 10:55 PM

This is the system used in most developed Asian countries and it's way more efficient.

LP700-4 12-22-2012 10:55 PM

Wait you cant pay cash to board the skytrain? Thats so stupid, in HK you can pay by cash to get a little token to get past the gates, why cant they have that here?

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8113879)
Wait you cant pay cash to board the skytrain? Thats so stupid, in HK you can pay by cash to get a little token to get past the gates, why cant they have that here?

In Hong Kong you also don't have to tap out when you get off. Can you imagine 100 Hong Kongers all at once having to tap out when they got off the bus, I think there'd be a revolt. Translink needs to get rid of their fair zones if they want this Compass card thing to work. All the Asian developed countries don't have fair zones, then again all of their transit systems are way more efficient than Translink.

SupraTTturbo2jz 12-22-2012 11:07 PM

fuck translink, i rather walk or bike

inv4zn 12-22-2012 11:12 PM

How about you start complaining once you actually experience this inconvenience?

Jer3 12-22-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8113887)
In Hong Kong you also don't have to tap out when you get off. Can you imagine 100 Hong Kongers all at once having to tap out when they got off the bus, I think there'd be a revolt. Translink needs to get rid of their fair zones if they want this Compass card thing to work. All the Asian developed countries don't have fair zones, then again all of their transit systems are way more efficient than Translink.

They do it in Singapore and Japan and it works fine. Stop whining.

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer3 (Post 8113900)
They do it in Singapore and Japan and it works fine. Stop whining.

Yes, it does work fine in Singapore and Japan but then again those are different cultures.

inv4zn 12-22-2012 11:25 PM

So you're saying the act of swiping a card when entering and exiting a public transportation system is directly related to culture? :fulloffuck:

Seriously, stop bitching about things that haven't occurred yet.

Lomac 12-22-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8113905)
Yes, it does work fine in Singapore and Japan but then again those are different cultures.

So how is our culture different?

And you seriously think that tapping a card to enter a bus is going to be slower than the existing system?

:badpokerface:

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8113897)
How about you start complaining once you actually experience this inconvenience?

Why wait for something that you know is going to happen? :jiggy:

MindBomber 12-22-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8113879)

Q: Will I still be able to pay for fares in cash or by credit/debit card?
A: Yes. Compass vending machines will allow you to purchase a Compass card, ticket, or load products or stored value onto your Compass card using cash or a credit or debit card. Cash will also be accepted on buses. You'll also be able to buy or reload your Compass card online, over the phone or at a customer service centre.

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8113908)
So how is our culture different?

And you seriously think that tapping a card to enter a bus is going to be slower than the existing system?

Cultural Differences, Japan, Canada

Lomac 12-22-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL (Post 8113915)

:facepalm:

Way to miss the point.

StylinRed 12-22-2012 11:39 PM

translinks implementing an Octopus card? neat

bLUEsTEEL 12-22-2012 11:47 PM

"Paying Direct with Cash
Customers will still be able to pay by cash for all transit trips. For bus trips, people paying by cash will be issued a paper "proof of payment" ticket. These "proof of payment" paper receipts are good for transfers between buses; however, they will not provide access through faregates. Because of this, we strongly promote the use of Compass cards containing a minimal stored value as a more flexible alternative for anyone making even occasional multi-modal trips."
How to Use Your Compass

The faregates are the gates that will be at all of the SkyTrain stations which means that if you pay by cash on the bus and then want to transfer to the SkyTrain then your're not going to be able to get past the gates.

Obsideon 12-22-2012 11:47 PM

They already have this system established in most advanced Asian cities, think of Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan. ALL of the mentioned cities have much more crowded populations than Vancouver (think of ... say Vancouver HSBC Fireworks night, but EVERY FREAKIN' MORNING), yet they seem to be able to get around this "inconvenience" just fine.

cocojoe 12-22-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8113932)
They already have this system established in most advanced Asian cities, think of Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan. ALL of the mentioned cities have much more crowded populations than Vancouver (think of ... say Vancouver HSBC Fireworks night, but EVERY FREAKIN' MORNING), yet they seem to be able to get around this "inconvenience" just fine.

I think they don't have a problem with this type of system because for the most part they are pretty orderly and abide by the laws and the rules. Once you throw that out of whack I think it then becomes a problem. I am sure you know how popular it is for people to get free rides here in Vancouver. Just today I saw 5 people get on the bus for free.

Lomac 12-23-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocojoe (Post 8113939)
I think they don't have a problem with this type of system because for the most part they are pretty orderly and abide by the laws and the rules. Once you throw that out of whack I think it then becomes a problem. I am sure you know how popular it is for people to get free rides here in Vancouver. Just today I saw 5 people get on the bus for free.

Did you really just switch to a different account instead of sticking with the one you posted with?

Way to stand by your convictions, bro.

:moderatorban:

falcon 12-23-2012 12:25 AM

London, Paris, and a lot of other major cities use cards like this and all I can say is IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME. Here's hoping they will charge from station to station like in London. You'll save a ton if you're a frequent rider who only goes a few stops. No need to "tap out" of a bus unless you actually want to take advantage of the fare savings. And it REALLY is not that inconvenient. Serious, RS'rs really need to travel more... lol

As for "30 people getting off at the same time"... if I could get through a line of 100+ people at say London Bridge station during rush hour in about 30 seconds I'm sure our minor rush hour here will be just fine.

CRS 12-23-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8113941)
Did you really just switch to a different account instead of sticking with the one you posted with?

Way to stand by your convictions, bro.

:moderatorban:

Using the same IP address too. Noob move, man. noob move.

Ikkaku 12-23-2012 12:50 AM

I guess I can see it being really shitty if you didn't bring your card with you, and you're forced to pay by cash on the bus to receive the ticket. And then if you needed to take the skytrain, you're forced to pay again or get denied entry because those faregates (according to the OP) does not accept physical tickets.

I just hope the system is well integrated like the octo. But then again, I didn't experience the timeframe of when they first implemented the system, so I wouldn't know the trials and errors they experienced.

Verdasco 12-23-2012 12:51 AM

it was neat in HK, never have i witnessed a line up. Octopus sounds cooler/better than compass over any day...

CRS 12-23-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8113977)
it was neat in HK, never have i witnessed a line up. Octopus sounds cooler/better than compass over any day...

Octopus = HK
Oyster = London

I was hoping we would name it the Orca card.