REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #76
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
The number of ways in which this could bite you in the ass is huge, and it could easily cost you piles of money and ruin your good relationship with your neighbour if something goes wrong. If for some crazy reason you did decide to let him do this I'd tell him he needs to hire a minimum of:

2 structural PEng's
2 builders
2 realtors to assess the change in value to your property
2 lawyers to draw up paperwork covering any potential issues
Some kind of fire and safety inspector (as it's a BBQ)

All of your choice. And then see if he still wants this silly BBQ.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This reminds me of my a situation one of my uncles had. He owns 6 acres, and a strip of land on the side of his properly that runs beside his house and through the back yard is designated as a hydro line right-of-way (Although it has never been used as such, nor will it likely ever be).

One day this guy buys the property behind my uncle with the intention of developing it and building a house for himself. He actually asks my uncle if he could use this strip of land as a driveway for his house (It would link to his back yard, because to build a driveway to the street on the front of this guy's house would be super expensive due to a super steep hill).

My uncle flatly tells this guy no, and the guy has the gall to say "We'll see about that".
My uncle never understood what he meant by that, he thought maybe this guy was going to try and take him to court over it, but right-of-ways don't exactly work like that, it's still my uncle's property.

The guy eventually spent the money to have the property cleared, and the steep driveway to the front excavated (never paved), a house was never built, services were never brought in. Then the property sat for 10 years, until it was just recently foreclosed and put up for auction.

Moral of the story: Figure your shit out BEFORE you go and design something. Don't just EXPECT others to accomodate you.
We had the same thing. Back east, we had 25 acres of land with our house. One xmas, we're up in the bush cutting a christmas tree, and we hear this guy rustling up through the brush 5 minutes after turning off the chainsaw. My fam had lived there for 15 years at that point, and he was new. So up he comes to make sure we weren't cutting trees on his property. He was friendly, but kind of dickish.

My father says no, I'm on my side of the line. Even further, when we bought, I cut and marked the perimeter. I know where they are.

Buddy keeps going, and actually dropped in the conversation, "well, you know, good lines make good neighbors."

Never saw him again. No house, no grand development.

People like to swing their dicks around everywhere...its not necessarily a Vancouver thing.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #78
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

straight trade. the little slice of your car port for his hopefully very attractive 20 year old daughter.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #79
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
You have your answer, but in typical Vancouver fashion, you're soooo concerned over nothing that you'd rather say "no" then let someone else fulfill their dream of an outdoor BBQ.

Typical asshole.
Owning a piece of land with a house on it in Vancouver is far from "nothing",it's the single biggest and most valuable possesion anyone can have.

If you owned a house that was worth roughly a million dollars,would you make sure your investment was protected at all times and made decisions that would not jeopardize it's worth? I sure the fuck would.

If I were in the OP's situation and the my neighbor kept asking me about it,even after I told him my answer was no several times,I would tell him straight up "FUCK OFF".I would not even care if I have good relations with him anymore,cause you already know things have changed the second you don't let him do what he wants,then you will see his true colors come out.

I own my home,it will be fully paid off in 6 more years...no more mortgage.I have worked my ass off in many ways to buy,maintain and keep the house mine,the fuck if I'm going to let anyone try and dictate what I should be doing on my own property.

Oh one more thing,I have heard from the grapevine on my block that some of the neighbors think I'm a asshole....I would rather be a asshole than a pushover that's for sure.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #80
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Op good that you dad is sticking with "no"

So the opinions were 100 to 1 lol in favor of NO
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #81
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Hey Obama we're just going to take a few square km out of washington state to make a beaver sanctuary. You aren't using it anyways so just be a good neighbor.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #82
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
You could just as easily have a happy neighbor who would probably bring you BBQ food and let you use the BBQ for such a tiny piece of land, but instead you're selfishly worried about an area of your property that you don't even use.

In the grand scheme of things, it would not affect your life in the least, but could possibly make someone else very happy. That in itself would be enough for me to say "As long as it's safe and done by a professional, go for it, I expect an invite for your backyard parties!"
Umm how aobut no?
1. THE OP pays for his house including the peice of land his neighbour ask. Why should he give away something for FREE? Espeically it will affect his property price in the future(less land = less price).
2. What if the BBQ caught fire or cause an accident? What is going to pay? What is going to cover the cost? Who is going to deal with all the shit that comes after?
3. Private issue. What if the OP decided to suntan in his year or just realx but his neighbour is there BBQing? It might affect the OP's lifestyle.
4. The smells WILL sink into the walls and inside of the OP house making it smell like BBQ(Ever been to a house where the home owner always cook curry? Yea the WHOLE house smells like curry). The BBQ smell will affect the house vale when OP decides to sell it.
5. Structural issue. What if this BBQ will affect structure of the OP's house. What if the local gov finds out and wants it remove due to it being not legal then who pays for it?
6. What if the neighbour is a messy guy and get's the BBQ messy and never cleans it? Then who will clean it in the end? if no one cleans it there will be ants all over the place, bees and not to mention it smells bad.
7. What if the neighbour likes to have BBQ parties and make a mess at the OP's property since the BBQ is on the OP's side.

Being nice to neighbour is one thing but giving away a piece of land is another story.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 12-28-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #83
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i got it...next time the neighbour comes over....

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #84
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Yeah, he was completely astonished my dad said no, like he couldn't believe my dad wouldn't agree to his proposal. I'll update the thread after my dad breaks the bad news again.

haha, thanks murd0c.
Bothers me a little that your neighbor designed his silly bbq location naturally assuming you guys would give up the land without even a set agreement. Selfishness at its finest.. his first step should have been asking you guys for an agreement FIRST prior to hiring his engineer and designing his desired bbq location.
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #85
Banned By Establishment

Haha... I'm the only person who would consider it?!

Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #86
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Haha... I'm the only person who would consider it?!

RS bbq at your place next summer?
Posted via RS Mobile
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I showed my parents this thread and they appreciate all the feedback.
Great to hear they made the right choice.

lol, mx703, remember that time you told us about how you hid all that cocaine in your parents house, then sold it to fund that illegal cock fighting ring? good times..
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #88
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

the wall fails, who do you think will be held liable? you

glad you're not doing it
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #89
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Great to hear they made the right choice.

lol, mx703, remember that time you told us about how you hid all that cocaine in your parents house, then sold it to fund that illegal cock fighting ring? good times..
speaking of that he still owes me $1500 for the ladies of the night I brought for him...
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #90
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
speaking of that he still owes me $1500 for the ladies of the night I brought for him...
Yes, "ladies".

They certainly weren't Thai lady-boys, that were riddled with HIV...

Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #91
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
Yes, "ladies".

They certainly weren't Thai lady-boys, that were riddled with HIV...

nope, he told me he wanted to take a break from them that weekend
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #92
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

am i the only one that thinks it's dangerous a vehicle so close to a bbq in terms of oil/fumes leaking into the bbq? ie when the rain washes the oil into the proposed bbq pit?
yigabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #93
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

if the engineer thinks it won't effect the wall i'm guessing he/she also took into accord that a bbq will be heating and cooling a cement wall in a moist environment. i'd guess the wall was reinforced with rebar and that the engineer is saying it will not faill under load with this whole or under stress from heat. how ever, it might still crack and that could cost you for resale later.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote