REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #51
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Wait.. I thought we weren't allowed to record our encounters with border patrol agents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
You're also not allowed to lie at the border.

Is that true? Seems silly to say they can tear my car apart but I can't record them doing it.
You're not, one of the first things they do when you get referred in is take your phone, or tell you to keep it in your pocket.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The notion that the border guards can tear your car apart at will, and just send you on your way with no repercussions if they find nothing doesn't sit well with me.

I just avoid travelling to the states as much as possible. I have no real personal desire to go there.
most of the complaints are towards duties/taxes coming back...which is under Canadian authority
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #53
Not a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
The 2nd time you get caught you can face possible criminal charges.
Learned my lesson. Don't undervalue your stuff, such a huge hassle...
Bullshit. A second/subsequent customs infraction will lead to a high percentage if penalty associated to the terms or release of your goods. So it'llbe at least 50%. Also the 7 year term also starts over. These ssecondary examinations are for land and airports.

Criminal charges will result if you grossly undervalue your goods or if drugs and or weapons are involved.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Haven't you people heard of credit cards? $4k in cash? Why?

Also, follow these steps.

1. Answer in as few words as possible.
2. Look them in the face.

Where am I from? Richmond. How long was I down there? Two days. What was I doing? Vacation.
Agreed. Just answer politely and straight forward. I haven't been searched before.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #55
Not a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
but yeah i get ur point, boarder security can get away with alot, friends seats got cut open cuz they smelled pot, didnt find anything, and they send him on his way with cut up seats to his car..
There is a process for a damage complaint. Its fairly simple and straight forward. I'm sure your friend inquired about it. What was the response? Are you sure we're getting the full story here?

No offense but generally speaking when I hear "it happened to a friend" I always question the credibility and genuineness of the story.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #56
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
i;ve only heard of horror stories of shit getting ripped apart
in the events that my vehicle was searched, nothing was shredded...
I believe its an extreme case...
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #57
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone know where you can watch the border security canada show online?

youtube is all Australian or USA
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #58
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Wait.. I thought we weren't allowed to record our encounters with border patrol agents?
I have a dashcam and it records everything. Never thought of it as a big deal.

EDIT: nvm....... recording them taking your car apart is a no no. I get it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #59
I STILL don't get it

I've never had issues with Canada or US Customs at the border and I cross everyweek to either get gas, groceries or to pick up parcels. Just be polite, have all your documentation ready and answer any questions truthfully. If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to be scared of.

I've only been pulled in once as Canada Customs didn't believe I stayed 2 days in Portland for Black Friday. Once I showed them my hotel bookings, they let me go on my way.

It's exactly the same as when you travel to another country. Don't act like an ass to their custom officers and usually there isn't a problem.
Vege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #60
Not a mod

The show will be airing on GlobalTV in the next week or two. That might make it more accessible online - likely thru the global website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Anyone know where you can watch the border security canada show online?

youtube is all Australian or USA
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #61
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i cant understand that at all. why lie about something small? if you're going to lie about it i suppose it would have to be "worth it".
in any case, im always honest, i dont count to the dollar but a close estimate. never been pulled over since i was a teenager.
I'm saying that if they are going to under-declare, at least make something believable.

Declaring something at 1/10 or even 1/100th of its value isn't going to fly.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #62
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensta View Post
the 1 thing that pisses me off is the inconsistency of them charging you for duty/tax

i understand every purchase, legally should be taxed.. thats all good and i understand that.

one time my roomate brought 2 tires worth 250$ back, declared real amount.. didnt get charged a cent in duty, meanwhile i brought back a camera lens and a intake worth 190$ and i got hit with duty.
You're looking at it the wrong way.

If you understand that every purchase is subject to customs, then you should look at the times where you DON'T get pulled in to pay customs as a bonus.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #63
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
so far I have not been hit with duty and yesterday I brought back a motorcycle worth $690 declared it for full amount and was on my way back home. I usually only bring back $200 worth of goods that I pick up from my mailbox and i'm there and back within 20 mins. I think as long as you give them straight answers you will be good.

on the way there yesterday I did get a dick officer who was harassing everyone. when it was my turn i was told to turn off my car and asked stupid questions like "why do you have a mailbox in the states " then he asked my friend and I what we do for a living as soon as my buddy said he worked for customs we were on our way lol
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #64
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Despite having nothing to hide and a clean record, I always get stressed out when crossing the border into the States.

The last time I went, after asking me where I was going, the officer asked "Why?" to all of my responses - at least 5-6 times! It was starting to get uncomfortable to say the least.

Then my 4 yr old, sitting in the back (with the window down of course) spoke out, "Why so many whys?"

The officer laughed and said, "Because that's my job!" Then he sent us on our way.

In hindsight, it was a pretty ballsy thing for my son to do, but it did ease the tension I was experiencing.

Edit: Oops, realized this thread is talking about coming back into Canada, and not going into US...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #65
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Your son is funny.
Posted via RS Mobile
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #66
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
I remember one time I went across the border with a buddy who always talks out of his ass speaking to cops etc and surprisingly enough has talked his way out of tickets and things in the past, we had no reason to lie at all but of course he has to go ahead and make some story up about going shopping etc to the border agent ending in the line

"Oh you know, we're just gonna go blow the day away"

Yeaaaaaa... U can pull over to the side
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #67
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
what happens if I purchase something over 1000$ and ship it to my friend in the states and get them to drive it over here to Canada for me ? Would they have to declare still?
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #68
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
what happens if I purchase something over 1000$ and ship it to my friend in the states and get them to drive it over here to Canada for me ? Would they have to declare still?
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes, and they would still have to pay 12% HST on it even though they live in the states.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #69
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
so far I have not been hit with duty and yesterday I brought back a motorcycle worth $690 declared it for full amount and was on my way back home. I usually only bring back $200 worth of goods that I pick up from my mailbox and i'm there and back within 20 mins. I think as long as you give them straight answers you will be good.

on the way there yesterday I did get a dick officer who was harassing everyone. when it was my turn i was told to turn off my car and asked stupid questions like "why do you have a mailbox in the states " then he asked my friend and I what we do for a living as soon as my buddy said he worked for customs we were on our way lol
Motorcycles are duty free even if it is made with a vin that doesnt begin with a 1,2,3,4, or 5
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #70
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Some of you make it sound like duty and taxes are the same thing, they are not.

When you bring an item back into Canada you are subject to duty and taxes. Now, if that item is made in the USA, under NAFTA that item is duty free, but still taxable.

ie. You go to premium outlets and buy $150 of clothes. Presuming all of the clothes are made in China you are subject to pay duty and taxes on the $150, which would be a shit load. But, generally you only pay taxes and they rarely charge you duty.

Just a FYI.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #71
I bringith the lowerballerith

whos down to try this?

bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #72
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Some of you make it sound like duty and taxes are the same thing, they are not.

When you bring an item back into Canada you are subject to duty and taxes. Now, if that item is made in the USA, under NAFTA that item is duty free, but still taxable.

ie. You go to premium outlets and buy $150 of clothes. Presuming all of the clothes are made in China you are subject to pay duty and taxes on the $150, which would be a shit load. But, generally you only pay taxes and they rarely charge you duty.

Just a FYI.
so essentially you will have to pay tax in the states, then our HST tax and duty? or do they refund you the US tax and just charge you canadian tax?
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
so essentially you will have to pay tax in the states, then our HST tax and duty? or do they refund you the US tax and just charge you canadian tax?
Correct. You can potentially be dinged three times: US tax, CAD tax, then CAD duty. But, I have only seen/heard of one person getting charged duty and tax. It was a girl in front of me at point roberts who bought really expensive heels ($300). She was charged tax and duty by a rookie CBSA as he was following the book.

CBSA will not refund you any tax you pay in the USA.
You can only get a refund for CAD tax/duty if you own a business.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #74
Not a mod

... or duties and taxes are collected in lieu of a seizure. Was there a story with this girl who was charged D+Ts?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
... or duties and taxes are collected in lieu of a seizure. Was there a story with this girl who was charged D+Ts?
Posted via RS Mobile
Story as in a news story?
If so, no.

It was just a personal account.

I was picking up stuff at Point Roberts and got sent in to pay taxes. The girl was next to me so I could hear the entire conversation, she got a rookie CBSA agent and he asked her what she bought (and as far as I could tell she was just sent in to pay taxes as well, just like me). She said heels for a friends wedding. The CBSA agent looked at the heels and they were made in China I think or somewhere other than USA/Cad, I can't recall. The border guard then told her about NAFTA and that these heels were subject to duty and he wrote her up to pay duties and taxes. She was choked. He then instructed her she would either pay the duty and taxes or declare she was going to abandon the item. She ended up just paying both.

I got this chubby asian guy and after some time he went over to see what was going on because the girl was making a scene. I heard him tell the rookie guy that they don't normally charge people duty and the rookie told him, but i'm just following procedure and then the asian CBSA agent was like err, okay.

I was then worried I would be charged duty as well... Luckily I wasn't.