REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Neighbour's tree branches sticking over the fence (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678741-neighbours-tree-branches-sticking-over-fence.html)

frozen 01-04-2013 05:05 PM

Neighbour's tree branches sticking over the fence

Some quick questions to those who have dealt with this issues before.

My neighbour has an apple tree and its branches grew way over the fence to our side and over the summer the apples dropped from their trees have created a huge mess for us.

Can someone confirm that legally they are required to trim their trees so that it would not cause a mess.

tarobbt 01-04-2013 05:08 PM

first world problems :troll:

pick the apples and eat them

murd0c 01-04-2013 05:08 PM

speak to them about cutting the branches down. It's their tree and they are responsible to keep it trim. It they don't listen cut the branches and don't worry about it.

DanHibiki 01-04-2013 05:11 PM

What kind of apples? can i come over and collect?

Energy 01-04-2013 05:13 PM

I believe you can cut down the branches if they are overhanging on your property/trespassing on your airspace but it's better to talk to your neighbor about it and work something out.

knight604 01-04-2013 05:14 PM

Ill root it then plant it in your backyard.

MG1 01-04-2013 05:27 PM

As long as they don't hang aluminum pie plates from the branches, just let the apples fall on your side of the fence and invite us RS'rs over to an apple pie party.

All kidding aside, murd0c is right. Talk to them first and give them reasonable time to trim it. I would even offer to assist them.

4444 01-04-2013 05:43 PM

Man, is this what the world has come to? Inability of people to think reasonably and logically?

You, OP, are a retard - have a chat, if they won't do shit, cut off any overhang

T4RAWR 01-04-2013 06:35 PM

where do you live?

i will happily come and gather all the apples.

i'm serious :pokerface:

noventa 01-04-2013 06:41 PM

I suggest you sue them for everything they got until they lose their home and have no food. Then you can feed them the apples that put them in that situation.

Soundy 01-04-2013 06:44 PM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...om-the-sky.jpg

spyker 01-04-2013 06:53 PM

I would just ask them nicely if they mind if you trim the branches so they don't intrude into your property,if they are nice people,they usually won't mind.

murd0c 01-04-2013 07:07 PM

I'm more confused why you haven't asked them and decided to post on RS instead? Really how can anyone in life survive if they can't ask a neighbor a reasonable request but post it on the internet instead?

Soundy 01-04-2013 07:13 PM

Because RS knows everything!

SB7 01-04-2013 07:46 PM

Can RS please tell me the secret of life?

nns 01-04-2013 07:47 PM

OP should grow a tree of his own that reaches over the fence to his neighbors side.

:troll:

Maybe it'll go back and forth. Then you'll have fruit salad.

StylinRed 01-04-2013 08:50 PM

^^^^ to add to that notion

you should plant a Durian tree in the corner of your lot and cut off all branches that are over your lawn so the only branches with durians on them will be at your neighbours

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1CM_PcRl5-...n_malaysia.jpg

double0seven 01-04-2013 08:57 PM

Good luck trying to grow durians here though :troll:

Alby 01-04-2013 09:04 PM

in the same situation myself for years now. every summer their branches grow over and drop apples into our yard. we've been reasonable and have talked to them about it. they wouldn't do shit. so we cut it and let that be that. as for the apples, i let it rot a bit and throw it back over the fence so they deal with it.

JesseBlue 01-04-2013 09:13 PM

so you are against apples that are on the ground? create a gadget that would pick it up automatically...

i mean your parents did...

bcrdukes 01-04-2013 09:34 PM

1. Man up
2. Talk to your neighbour. Be reasonable.
3. If all else fails - Ask city hall if there are any rules and/or procedures on how to proceed or to escalate.
4. Profit?

frozen 01-04-2013 11:55 PM

Well, let's put aside the fucking idiots that said about picking and eating the apples with insects all over them even before they drop for now. Do you retards actually thought the apples you're buying from the store came from these apple trees naturally grown in the backyard without any fertilizers? And do you have any idea how a big fucking pain it is to clean all these apples when you are working long hours every day? not to mention the mess is caused by your neighbor.

This wasn't even about manning up. I will absolutely talk to them, and my question was that what if their answer was a "no". If it is not their legal obligation to trim the branches, then I will simply either work out with them a reasonable cost to do it, or just get a ladder and trim them myself. However, if by law they are REQUIRED to trim their branches, then at least I can kindly tell them that they really can't say "no".

Anyway, I asked a friend of mine and apparently it is not your neighbor's obligations to trim trees. You are free to trim whatever that stick to your side, but legally they are not required to trim themselves, contrary to what many people believe.

Holy fuck I gotta love all these smartass comments some RSers post, thinking they are so smart while being unemployed.

yray 01-04-2013 11:57 PM

gotta graft some apple trees at op's house :troll:

EmperorIS 01-05-2013 12:00 AM

Fuck Carrots.

J____ 01-05-2013 12:05 AM

you should tear down the fence around the apple tree then rebuild the fence on the other side of the apple tree, now the apple tree is yours. Make sure you leave a branch over their side though, that way they'll have the messy apple situation.