REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

911fanatic vs 3 Series BMW with DISO ( dealer installed swirl option )

I had just detailed this 3 series for a client a few months ago when it was taken to the dealer for service. After requesting that the car NOT be washed, well, here we are. After attempting to get the clients on day 1 and having to abort due to unbelievable traffic, another attempt was made the following day only to be thwarted by a building manager who had turned the water off in the clients wash bay and refused to turn it back on. If you're keeping track, that's two full days scheduled and zero accomplished. On the way back to my shop I picked up two Gamma Seal lids. These form an airtight seal on your pail allowing you to transport liquids without leaking. The third attempt was made the following day with not one, but two pails full of warm water with two different rinseless washes to try. Did I mention that each trip was around an hour each way? DOH!

Presoaked and washed with Optimum No Rinse ( drivers side ) and Duragloss Rinseless Wash ( passenger side )
Wheels were cleaned using various brushes and the corresponding rinseless wash
Polishing was done with Menz Power Finish on a Green Buff & Shine via Griots Garage DA
Paintwork cleaned with Autoglym Super Resin Polish
LSP was Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Jambs all wiped down with Optimum Car Wax
Tires Dressed with Auto Finesse Gloss Tire Dressing

Upon arrival

Bluish product is Optimum No Rinse, pink is Duragloss Rinseless Wash

After doing the drivers side with ONR, passenger side was done with Duragloss. Here, GD is presoaking on the hood..

and on the side. The car wasn't filthy, but I still gave the presaok a few minutes to loosen the grit before wiping down.

Wheels were presoaked as well and then wiped down.

Wheels came up clean although the fronts were sprayed with a bit of APC as well to help loosen brake dust.

I used an old mf wrapped around a wheel brush to get the barrels clean. Worked like a charm.

DISO! ( Dealer installed swirl option. )

Paintwork thickness reading were healthy so no worries about polishing.

New 1700lumen LED lights from Home Depot.

Before....

after

Trunklid before.....

and after.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish hazing.

After removing the SRP, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection was applied and allowed to haze as well.

Afters

As this was the first time I had used either rinse less product, I wasn't sure what to expect. Both products worked well although I did find the Optimum product to be a bit slicker. Amazing products though. After doing the drivers side, hood, roof, trunk lid and then working my way down the drivers side ( top portion of panels first and then bottom ) the same mitt was used on the DG side of the hood and no marring was evident. Amazing products for sure.

As always, thanks for looking.
Advertisement

Last edited by 911fanatic; 01-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
When I was a lot boy for GM the brushes they used were just awful, I'm no detailing expert but they were just brutal. I wouldn't use them on my car (and my car is far from special) let alone brand new cars.

I told my boss that they can damage the cars paint, but it wasn't a big deal as long as it looked "alright" which to most people was just no dirt on the car and clean interior.

there was a "premium" detailing which was done properly at a body shop but many people wouldn't buy it unless they could get it thrown in free with the car it wasn't insanely expensive (no more than a few hundred dollars) especially when you consider they just spend tens or hundreds of thousand dollars on their car

Last edited by slicrick; 01-05-2013 at 04:37 AM. Reason: 5AM.. forgot end of post
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Some people don't appreciate their cars like others, no fucks given and no shame.
Posted via RS Mobile
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

How much were the hid work lights and where did you pick up the gamma seal lids from?
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by EFSi; 01-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.
EFSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFSi View Post
How much were the hid work lights and where did you pick up the gamma seal lids from?
Posted via RS Mobile
LEDs are from Home Depot and are $80 each. Gamma Seal lids came from Industrial Plastics in Coquitlam.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

What do you charge for an exterior detailing job like this? Can't find the info on your site...
kerunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #7

This particular job was a single stage polish and came in around $395.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Ken,

I still cringe when I think about "no rinse" wash.

Whats the marring like on half of a car vs normal foam + hand wash on the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
Ken,

I still cringe when I think about "no rinse" wash.

Whats the marring like on half of a car vs normal foam + hand wash on the other?
If I answer your question, will you change your avatar.....please? LOL Actually there was little to no additional marring added to the paint from the No Rinse Wash. A little common sense has to come into play. If the car is filthy, rinse it off at a self seve bay first to get rid of any big bits. Allowing the Rinseless wash to soak in a bit also helps it to wipe off easier. ONR is very slick as well so that helps. This was the first time I have used it so I don't have alot in the way of experience to offer. Would I wash a black car the same way if I WASN"T polishing after? I'm not sure.