REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #26
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude. In our complex, there were over 10 vehicles broken in by some one at one night before christmas. Sick of that. Time to hardwiring hidden surveilliance camera in vehicle now.
Advertisement
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
I fucking hate junkies! About a month back, my friend parked his car at my house overnight and a bum jimmied the window open and stole his deck. My surveillance cameras caught him doing it as well, guy was in and out in the matter of minutes. My friend didn't want to claim it since it was worth less than his deductible so i didn't file a police report (laziness on my part). If i ever see this bum, I'm going to give him a nice ass whopping!
So, you fucking hate junkies.. and you have a pic of the guy... but you're too lazy to even report it to the cops? Way to let the criminals keep doing what they're doing. Most times there is no evidence to who the thief is, so the police report is just a file number. You have a PICTURE OF THE FUCKING GUY!?! And you do nothing about it. Awesome. And your friend too... at least report it... you don't need to claim with ICBC. But now a crime has gone unreported, and the guy got away with it scot free.

You're a fucking idiot. People can bitch about cops all they want, but your complacency - by not doing anything - you're preventing them from doing their job, and enabling the criminals to do whatever they please.

Last edited by jlenko; 01-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Those of you who have had their cars broken into:

Did you have a two-way paging alarm with door sensors? Wondering if the majority of thieves will break the windows, and then CLIMB into your car to avoid the risk of triggering the door alarm. Time to add a glass-break / interior proximity sensor to my compustar.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
I fucking hate junkies! About a month back, my friend parked his car at my house overnight and a bum jimmied the window open and stole his deck. My surveillance cameras caught him doing it as well, guy was in and out in the matter of minutes. My friend didn't want to claim it since it was worth less than his deductible so i didn't file a police report (laziness on my part). If i ever see this bum, I'm going to give him a nice ass whopping!
You should have reported it. The cops may not be able to identify the guy right away but they'll keep it on file and when they do catch him one day, hopefully in the act of breaking into another car, they have a better chance of a conviction with more evidence of past crimes. A report also goes into crime statistics for your area. If there are more complaints in your area, they'll concentrate more of their patrols there. Keep in mind that you won't always see them in patrol cars, they do have undercover units running around.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Its shitty what happened to OP but at the same time its up to every car owner to keep absolute nothing of value in plain sight. I have been parking in the eastside, eastvan and pretty much every shitty/decent neighborhood for many years and never had a break in.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Any of you guys notice its gotten worse now that the Canada Line is bringing in all sorts of trash from outside of Richmond?
freelunch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
Any of you guys notice its gotten worse now that the Canada Line is bringing in all sorts of trash from outside of Richmond?
Yes. Not that I lived in richmond much longer before the canada line went up, it only makes sense.

Its like in GTA when you unlock a new part of the city and you get there by train. The crackheads just unlocked a new city lol.

I for sure don't recall seeing bums prior to the canada line in richmond.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
Its shitty what happened to OP but at the same time its up to every car owner to keep absolute nothing of value in plain sight. I have been parking in the eastside, eastvan and pretty much every shitty/decent neighborhood for many years and never had a break in.
I have to laugh at this, even though it's all true. We have a little, completely stock, Toyota Echo with an alarm system with a blinking red light but no glass break sensor. Car was broken into late one night through the little fixed window beside the roll up window in the rear door. Alarm went off when the thief opened the door and scared him off. Nothing stolen because there was nothing in the car. A few months later, car gets broken into again through the same fixed window but this time he rolls down the main window and climbs in without setting off the alarm. He opened the glove compartments and got a loonie and a shopping cart coin. On the bright side, I can change that fixed window in 15 minutes now.

Oh yeah, reported the break ins both times.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
my neighborhood got ran sacked mid way thru december, approxiately 10 cars were broken into in the middle of the night and evidence that others were scoped out because all the frost was wiped off the windows.

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
Sorry to hear that dude. In our complex, there were over 10 vehicles broken in by some one at one night before christmas. Sick of that. Time to hardwiring hidden surveilliance camera in vehicle now.
If this happened in a "secure" underground, talk to your strata about getting a timing mechanism installed on the postal key lock. What you do is is talk to the post office to get the schedule of the postie that delivers to your building. If the delivery window is from 11-1pm, you would have the timing mechanism render the posties key useless outside of those times.
We used to get a lot of break ins in or underground and after convincing the strata to invest in the inexpensive timing mechanism to go with all the security cameras that they decided to buy, the breaks ins pretty much stopped. We have a hidden camera in the intercom panel and it caught pictures of numerous guys trying to use something to open the front door by way of the postal key.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Even though a Police report seems futile, by filing it goes on record and if they notice an increase or trend in a certain area it will impact regular patrols and surveillance.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
my neighborhood got ran sacked mid way thru december, approxiately 10 cars were broken into in the middle of the night and evidence that others were scoped out because all the frost was wiped off the windows.
same as mine as well, all the cars parked on the street had their windows smashed, this happened last month.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #38
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
I live pretty far away from the nearest canada line station (dunbar area), my area used to be pretty good but 2012 alone I personally had 2 break ins :/

By reporting it the police know which areas to patrol, 2 weeks ago VPD called me to let me know my garage door was left open cause they were driving by my alley.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
If this happened in a "secure" underground, talk to your strata about getting a timing mechanism installed on the postal key lock. What you do is is talk to the post office to get the schedule of the postie that delivers to your building. If the delivery window is from 11-1pm, you would have the timing mechanism render the posties key useless outside of those times.
We used to get a lot of break ins in or underground and after convincing the strata to invest in the inexpensive timing mechanism to go with all the security cameras that they decided to buy, the breaks ins pretty much stopped. We have a hidden camera in the intercom panel and it caught pictures of numerous guys trying to use something to open the front door by way of the postal key.
That's a pretty good tip. So do you think there are some shady postal workers out there? Or people replicating/buying stolen keys?

Typically, though, don't you need a fob to get into the lower parking levels? The postal key would get you through the front door of the building, but getting passed the lobby would need a fob, no?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #40
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
some thieves attack postal workers for their keys
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #41
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
About 1.5 months ago my building's storage lockers were broken into. Tons of people lost stuff. Bastards took off with a set of my OEM BMW rims and near new winter tires.

3-4 years ago I lived in North Burnaby - came down one morning to find my window smashed. About 20-30 cars were broken into in one night. All of them smash and grab jobs.
kerunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #42
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
A few years back when I lived in Richmond, I came down at 2am to grab a pack of smokes in my condos underground parking when I noticed a leg hanging out my front passenger door. I grabbed a hockey stick that was leaning against the wall and snuck up to my car and slammed the door on the guys leg. The idiot screamed in pain. Called 911 and gave my address. The guy tried running but could barely walk. I just followed him while talking to he 911 operator. Police showed up and cuffed his ass. Fuck I hate thieves!
buddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote