REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #51
In RS I Trust

Thanked 16,829 Times in 3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The automatic shutoff DOES fail from time to time. Sometimes the mechanism is faulty... sometimes the way the fuel is flowing in the filler tube, it just doesn't trigger the mechanism properly (there's a small hole in the bottom of the nozzle; the mechanism operates on vacuum - when the fuel comes up around the nozzle, the vacuum drops, and the thing shuts off).

OP says "Pump shot out, and my mom tried to stop it because the attendant was nowhere in sight." - given standard RS Engrish, that could mean the nozzle fell out on its own (also possible if the hose is stretched), or that it was simply overflowing and the gas was "shooting out" as it kept pumping into a full tank.
I'm actually the distributor of the nozzles and all the equipment and no questions asked they are faulty from time to time. The story just seems more fishy since I have seen so many people do stupid shit at a gas station I could write a book.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #52
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
My mom is racist, and ignorant?
That's all you got out of this?

I said to keep the thread clean. The only ignorant person here is you.
She said the "black guy" not "Nigger". She's not gonna take the time to get his name when she was just drenched in gas because of his negligence. Anybody else would've given a similar description, given the situation. It could've been the "White guy" or the "Chinese guy"
hey. that's racist
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #53
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

clicked into this thread thinking there was a story about some michael bay type explosion caused by c lai's driving into the gas pumps at the gas station lol

hence gas station "accident"
...guess not. hope your mom's okay
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Moreso than the incident itself, they should be informed of the staff's and manager's response (or lack thereof) to the incident: someone standing around soak in gasoline is a MAJOR potential risk - maybe not directly from the gasoline, but if anything should ignite it... hell, on construction sites, once the fuel tanks have been stocked, we're required to go off-site to use our phones, just because 15 years ago there was maybe a slight chance with a few cell phones that something might ignite fumes (Snopes says there've never been confirmed reports of fumes being ignited by phones.)
Cellphones are a myth that has been Busted by the Myth Busters. The till at our station is 30 feet from the pump and I use a cellphone all the time and when costumers walk in they are 19 feet from the pump.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #55
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
spugen your mom should be find aside from the initial mild side affects such as her headache at most some memory loss/dizziness prolonged exposure is the concern; i'm sure the doctor had already explained any concerns to you/her

you should definitely complain to Chevron though

As for the remarks on why she was out of the car?? why the fuck does that matter? if that isn't the dumbest repeated pov i've ever heard on rs...

as for the incident i can't imagine a hose erratically spraying gasoline all over the place like an out of control fire hose in movies... i'd be scared as hell with getting set on fire i'd probably have stripped down right there lol

as for who's legally responsible, for what? for safety? chevron; for damages/fees? well that would depend on an investigation of the circumstances the service station could be liable that would need to be argued in court
the court may find issue with the attendant not being present the occupiers liability act would come into play (your moms actions may absolve them of liability though) as mentioned it would need to be investigated then argued in court

edit: here have a look http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...de/00_96337_01

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-07-2013 at 03:02 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #56
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,631 Times in 5,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
As for the remarks on why she was out of the car?? why the fuck does that matter?
It matters because it's possible that the gas attendant wasn't negligent at all, and she was just messing around with something she shouldn't have been. In that case, she has no complaint to make whatsoever, be it a lawsuit or gas coupons or a free chocolate bar.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #57
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,423 Times in 830 Posts
She only "messed" with it after it popped out and started overflowing.
Again, Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Also, if anybody is still wondering what my mom said exactly, to describe the guy.
She said "Haak Yun" Not "Haak Gwai".
"Haak" - Black
"Yun" - Person
"Gwai" - Ghost/Devil

Let's be honest. It's about as non-derogatory as Cantonese gets.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It matters because it's possible that the gas attendant wasn't negligent at all, and she was just messing around with something she shouldn't have been. In that case, she has no complaint to make whatsoever, be it a lawsuit or gas coupons or a free chocolate bar.
her actions outside of the car could be called into question yes (as noted) but not her actual being outside of the car

as for trying to stop the overflow that could (and likely would) be seen as a willingness to assume risk; but if the gas was overflowing on her and she attempted to stop it it likely wouldn't be seen that way like i said it would need to be investigated and considered by a judge
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #59

I guess if she does sue, they will have to bring out the footage.

I do agree that she should still complain about how it was handled.

I just don't quite buy that she was standing out in the cold for no reason, when the nozzle suddenly fell out on its own. But that's just me being skeptical
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I guess if she does sue, they will have to bring out the footage.

I do agree that she should still complain about how it was handled.

I just don't quite buy that she was standing out in the cold for no reason, when the nozzle suddenly fell out on its own. But that's just me being skeptical
I could see how,

the guy partially inserts the nozzle, puts on the tab, walks away - the full pressure of the opened nozzle forces it to pop out.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #61

most of us have an asian mom (or know an asian mom) on here so we know how stories can be embellished but they're still our moms so we should give them the benefit of the doubt
not saying that's what happened in this case but i can understand anyone being skeptical

i would complain for sure

and if they were to sue they wouldnt necessarily have to seek financial gain they could seek nominal damages, basically making it a point to note that the station was in the wrong

anyhow im going to have to figure out how to get enough sleep before the morning :/

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-07-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #62

Subordinate is right. It is possible that the guy only partially inserted the nozzle, went to clear her credit card, and the thing fell out while she happened to be standing outside in the cold for some reason

Of course everyone should give their own mom the benefit of the doubt. They won't get that from me though
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,009 Posts
^I'm venturing a guess, but maybe she got out after something went wrong? He's not very clear on why she was outside, I agree.

It makes more sense for OP's mom to have gone outside AFTER she saw gas spilling out, then to stand by her car in the cold at a full serve station..
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #64
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Chinese moms are always skeptical and curious about everything. For Spugen's mom to get out of the car to see whats going on and got sprayed with gasoline was just unlucky.

It's her fault that she got out of the car since this happened in Richmond. The most you can get is probably a full refund of gas. People probably think she pulled it out to shower herself with it to sue the gas station for money.
BadHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #65
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Was she killing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Let's be honest. It's about as non-derogatory as Cantonese gets.
I LOL'd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
her actions outside of the car could be called into question yes (as noted) but not her actual being outside of the car

as for trying to stop the overflow that could (and likely would) be seen as a willingness to assume risk; but if the gas was overflowing on her and she attempted to stop it it likely wouldn't be seen that way like i said it would need to be investigated and considered by a judge
This is something, if it did end up in court, that would come down to consideration of what a "reasonable person" would do. Like I said before, hands up anyone here who, if you saw your tank overflowing and no attendant around, WOULDN'T get out to try to stop it? I think 99% of the driving population would do the same; few would just sit there watching the thing spew without doing something to try to stop it (the really clever ones would hit the emergency shutdown button, of course, but that's still taking action).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHawk View Post
It's her fault that she got out of the car since this happened in Richmond.
Unless she actually fucked with the nozzle while it was running properly... this is absolutely irrelevant. Whether she was sitting in the car, standing beside the pump, or inside the store taking a dump... a faulty or improperly positioned nozzle is not her fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #68
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 1,659 Times in 843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
don't most stations have CCTV's installed?

I think is a 50/50 here. Like you mentioned, the place is full-service, so your mom should of stayed in the car, or they could blame her for doing the service herself.

At the same time, is their fault for not having an attendant nearby.
What if I just feel like standing out of my car to get some fresh air. I didn't start the pump, I didn't insert my CC into the debit machine, I didn't do the filling. It seems to be this is what the OP mom is doing. Just standing out of her car chilling.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #69

Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Seriously? This is an issue? It's merely a description of the person she dealt with. It's easier to pinpoint your source of contact if you have at least some sort of description (ie: short brown hair... or black skin... or a face full of acne... or something). Spugen's merely been relaying all the information he's been given. I'm pretty damn sure there was absolutely no hidden meaning or agenda by saying the following:
I don't really care, but this is a stupid thread, there will be no recourse as she got out of the car and touched the pump, no matter what, u don't do that

She is at fault fully in that she cannot and will not be able to prove contributory negligence

As for health, of course she was overreacting, but going to hospital was right call - just get everything checked out for peace of mind

The black thing... Guess I'm just a bit sensitive about it, I find people are happy to be ignorant in what they say (using black as a term to refer to someone), but wil get all bent out of shape if someone says anything remotely ignorant to them

And no, not black here
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #70

Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Oops, dbl post
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #71
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Lawyer here.

No claim. Don't even try. Waste of everybody's time.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: