REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

911Fanatic vs new M5 with Opti Coat

I had a client call me from out of town saying he was purchasing a new M5 and would like to have me prepare the car for delivery and have the car Opti Coated as well as the wheels. After travelling into Vancouver to have a look see for any dealer installed damage, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of washed induced swirls. After discussing what I found with the owner, I headed back the next day to take care of it. The dealer was nice enough to set me up in a heated area of their used car storage facility so all was good.

Car wash already washed so a quick ONR wipedown was all that was needed.
Car was polished with Optimum Hyper Polish to ensure no hazing issues using a blue B&S pad for most panels and an orange for the rockers and rear bumperskin that had some light swirling. A few scratches were removed with yellow B&S and FG400.
Car was wiped down with Carpro Eraser ( love that smell )
Opti Coat was applied to all paintwork, (including jambs), glass and trim
Wheels were removed, wiped down with Eraser and Opticoated as well.
Tires were dresses with Exclusive Matte tire dressing

Total time was approx 8 hours

As delivered. The lot guys at The BMW Store did a great job washing as there was very minimal swirling. Not like the 12 hours I just spent polishing a brand new Touareg. But thats another story!

Some light swirling was evident on rockers and rear bumperskin. For the most part, the body was clean.

Some left over sealant.

Yikes!

Luckily these readings were rare.

If you look you can see two marks I made on the trunk lid. The scratch ran from one to the other.

Decent scuff on front bumper skin.

Even after polishing, a bit of it still remained. As my PTG doesn't read on plastics, better to err on the side of caution.

Big ass calipers after Opti Coating

Nice glossy wheels after a coat of OC2

Afters

I have to say that this car is stunning. I'm kind of sad they have gone away from a manual in the M5, but overall the car is just amazing.

Thanks for looking.
Advertisement
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

They have a 6 speed manual transmission for this F10 M5!!!
jdzle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: