REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Permanent Resident Card and Debt (https://www.revscene.net/forums/678953-permanent-resident-card-debt.html)

EvoFire 01-09-2013 08:44 PM

Permanent Resident Card and Debt

I need to tap the vast knowledge that is revscene.

A bit of background, an China family that I know came to Canada in around 1999. Mom and the kids got their citizenship but dad has businesses in China, continues to fly back and forth like most Asian families and hasn't gotten his citizenship.

This year, he would have to renewed his Permanent Resident Card, and he's done it a couple of times already and they are worried that he may not get approved.

At the moment, they currently live in a condo that is under his name, with a mortgage also under his name. If say his permanent residence does get rejected, what will happen to this property, more importantly, the mortgage? Transferring the mortgage to mom is out of the question as mom does not make enough to be approved.

mb_ 01-09-2013 08:47 PM

I'm not sure if this is any help but thought it'd shed some light on things

My uncle and his family moved here from Philippines about 4 years ago but he doesn't work here. From what I've been told you have to be in Canada for a certain amount of days in 2 years or something without getting in shit. He frequently flies back and forth so he can meet the requirements to get a citizenship
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 01-10-2013 12:59 AM

As long as they keep paying the mortgage I don't think the banks would care. Some taxi drivers claim to make next to nothing and still get mortgages.

therubberguard 01-10-2013 03:33 PM

From a bank standpoint, as long as he keeps making the mortgage payments there shouldnt be any issues. I get asked this question a lot (work at a bank in Richmond). The only time a bank really needs to know a change in residency is if the hold investments because if they lose the residency, taxations on say interest bearing accounts become different.

ruthless 01-10-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 8128267)
I'm not sure if this is any help but thought it'd shed some light on things

My uncle and his family moved here from Philippines about 4 years ago but he doesn't work here. From what I've been told you have to be in Canada for a certain amount of days in 2 years or something without getting in shit. He frequently flies back and forth so he can meet the requirements to get a citizenship
Posted via RS Mobile

Exactly, to maintain his Permanent Residence status he must be in Canada every 2 years(730 days) out of 5 years.

EvoFire 01-11-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therubberguard (Post 8128974)
From a bank standpoint, as long as he keeps making the mortgage payments there shouldnt be any issues. I get asked this question a lot (work at a bank in Richmond). The only time a bank really needs to know a change in residency is if the hold investments because if they lose the residency, taxations on say interest bearing accounts become different.

That is more reassuring. They are worried cause since if he is rejected, he technically doesn't belong in Canada anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 8129338)
Exactly, to maintain his Permanent Residence status he must be in Canada every 2 years(730 days) out of 5 years.

What about these rumours I hear of one only being able to renew a couple of times and the government would reject you.

Thanks guys for the help, keep them coming! :nyan:

sh0n 01-12-2013 10:49 AM

Bank doesn't care if the mortgage holder is a citizen or PR as long as whoever is holding the mortgage can continue to make the payments.

Having PR or Citizenship is irrelevant from being able to "borrow" from Bank for mortgage.

sh0n 01-12-2013 10:51 AM

Also it's pretty common in the last 10-15 years where you have the same case as the OP.

Family from Asia moves to Vancouver buy a place - husband moves back overseas to work, leaves wife and family behind.

Nssan 01-12-2013 01:34 PM

If he is THAT worried, then advise him to see a Immigration Lawyer.

Yodamaster 01-12-2013 04:29 PM

The government collects tax and information, that's it.

Just make sure the money gets to the bank, and that the taxes are sent to the gov, and it should be good.

SoulCrusher 01-12-2013 05:46 PM

Just because he owes money to a bank does not overcome his residency obligations associated with being a PR. If he does not meet meet the 730 day quota (out of 5 years) his status will not be renewed. There is no link between a bank and CIC.
Posted via RS Mobile