REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Permanent Resident Card and Debt

I need to tap the vast knowledge that is revscene.

A bit of background, an China family that I know came to Canada in around 1999. Mom and the kids got their citizenship but dad has businesses in China, continues to fly back and forth like most Asian families and hasn't gotten his citizenship.

This year, he would have to renewed his Permanent Resident Card, and he's done it a couple of times already and they are worried that he may not get approved.

At the moment, they currently live in a condo that is under his name, with a mortgage also under his name. If say his permanent residence does get rejected, what will happen to this property, more importantly, the mortgage? Transferring the mortgage to mom is out of the question as mom does not make enough to be approved.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
I'm not sure if this is any help but thought it'd shed some light on things

My uncle and his family moved here from Philippines about 4 years ago but he doesn't work here. From what I've been told you have to be in Canada for a certain amount of days in 2 years or something without getting in shit. He frequently flies back and forth so he can meet the requirements to get a citizenship
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
As long as they keep paying the mortgage I don't think the banks would care. Some taxi drivers claim to make next to nothing and still get mortgages.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

From a bank standpoint, as long as he keeps making the mortgage payments there shouldnt be any issues. I get asked this question a lot (work at a bank in Richmond). The only time a bank really needs to know a change in residency is if the hold investments because if they lose the residency, taxations on say interest bearing accounts become different.
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
I'm not sure if this is any help but thought it'd shed some light on things

My uncle and his family moved here from Philippines about 4 years ago but he doesn't work here. From what I've been told you have to be in Canada for a certain amount of days in 2 years or something without getting in shit. He frequently flies back and forth so he can meet the requirements to get a citizenship
Posted via RS Mobile
Exactly, to maintain his Permanent Residence status he must be in Canada every 2 years(730 days) out of 5 years.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therubberguard View Post
From a bank standpoint, as long as he keeps making the mortgage payments there shouldnt be any issues. I get asked this question a lot (work at a bank in Richmond). The only time a bank really needs to know a change in residency is if the hold investments because if they lose the residency, taxations on say interest bearing accounts become different.
That is more reassuring. They are worried cause since if he is rejected, he technically doesn't belong in Canada anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Exactly, to maintain his Permanent Residence status he must be in Canada every 2 years(730 days) out of 5 years.
What about these rumours I hear of one only being able to renew a couple of times and the government would reject you.

Thanks guys for the help, keep them coming!
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Bank doesn't care if the mortgage holder is a citizen or PR as long as whoever is holding the mortgage can continue to make the payments.

Having PR or Citizenship is irrelevant from being able to "borrow" from Bank for mortgage.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Also it's pretty common in the last 10-15 years where you have the same case as the OP.

Family from Asia moves to Vancouver buy a place - husband moves back overseas to work, leaves wife and family behind.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

If he is THAT worried, then advise him to see a Immigration Lawyer.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
The government collects tax and information, that's it.

Just make sure the money gets to the bank, and that the taxes are sent to the gov, and it should be good.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Not a mod

Just because he owes money to a bank does not overcome his residency obligations associated with being a PR. If he does not meet meet the 730 day quota (out of 5 years) his status will not be renewed. There is no link between a bank and CIC.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote