REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Inside the world's most high-design fast-food restaurants

Both McD's locations are über cool.

Quote:
By now it's clear that high design can arrive in some pretty strange packages — gingerbread houses and dog houses included — so it shouldn't be such a surprise that fast food chains like McDonald's and Burger King are keen to jump aboard the bandwagon, too.

By hiring design firms to revamp their stores, fast food brands refresh their image and get some press, while customers get a pretty place to eat some less-than-pretty food. It's a win-win if you ignore the whole obesity and diabetes thing.

Anyway, here's one example (pictured above): the Starbucks in Fukuoka, Japan, designed by architect Kengo Kuma. Kuma's timbered interiors and glass storefront make the whole place look a bit french-fry-like, which is odd considering it was designed for the worldwide peddler of coffee and free wi-fi. But, metaphors aside, the place has a trendy aesthetic.

Quote:
↑ Perhaps inspired by the astringent land it was built on, PK Arkitektar designed this KFC in Keflavík, Iceland, to be a minimalist horizontal block punctuated by rows of muted skylights and a wall of glass.

Quote:
↑ When granddaddy of fast foods McDonald's teamed up with furniture designer Patrick Norguet, it was clear the burger eaters of France were destined to supersize in some snazzy interiors. The designer didn't disappoint with his first commission: The McDonald's in Villefranche-de-Lauragais incorporates Mondrian-style geometry, concrete walls and plywood ceilings.

Quote:
↑ Burger King commissioned design firm Outofstock to swankify a handful of restaurants in Southeast Asia. Above is the club-like atmosphere of Singapore's Burger King Garden Grill, which features lounge seating, wooden tabletops, cushy-looking ottomans, and walls color-blocked in earth tones.

Quote:
↑ Ever looking to disguise its corporate roots, Starbucks created a funky shipping-container coffee shop in Tukwila, Wash. The so-called Reclamation Drive-Thru is an attempt to show off a feat of sustainability.

Quote:
↑ Design firm Hufft Projects incorporated textbook midcentury modern features—expansive glass panes and low-slung horizontals included—into the design of this Andy's Frozen Custard, in Springfield, Mo.

Quote:
↑ This lovely, down-home-style McDonald's sits in a 19th-century Georgian mansion, thanks to a group of hell-raising preservationists who rallied to save the building in the 1980s, when McDonald's bought the property with intentions to tear it all down. In turn, McDonald's restored the place to its 1920s glory, circular veranda, gingerbread milieu, and all.

Quote:
↑ In Amsterdam, Starbucks crafted a cafe that, uh, drips with an upcycled, Restoration Hardware-esque vibe—complete with wall coverings fashioned from inner tubes and bicycle tires and lots of salvaged oak. It's lovely, for sure, but what's even cooler is knowing that it was once a vault in a historic Dutch bank.

Quote:
↑ This McDonald's in Melbourne, Australia, was once the United Kingdom Hotel, a Art Deco design conceptualized by James Hastie Wardrop and built in 1937. The curvy balconies, bands of colored brick, and verticality of the facade is enough for the Art Deco Buildings blog to dub it "The Most Beautiful McDonald's in the World."
Inside the world's most high-design fast-food restaurants - Yahoo! Homes
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Cool idea, however fast food attracts scummy people and the homeless. Hard to keep these nice places nice
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Burger King needs to do something. Their stores skipped a generation on renovations and its showing.

Their sales are way down too.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts

In Canada
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Burger King needs to do something. Their stores skipped a generation on renovations and its showing.

Yea all bks look hideous. The washrooms make me sick. The bk on main and terminal is awful.
Posted via RS Mobile
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:

Haven't been to BK in Canada in 5 or 6 years, but the ones here in HK are pretty nice. Way more expensive than McDonalds though, and locations are starting to close down
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
There aren't that many either.

The only reason to ever go to BK is for their Whopper Wednesdays.

I have one across the street, and yes, it feels like a McDonalds from 1995.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Yea all bks look hideous. The washrooms make me sick. The bk on main and terminal is awful.
Posted via RS Mobile
never go to that BK on welfare wednesdays, especially that one
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've been to the McDonald'sin Paris. its surprisingly nice.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've been to the McDonald'sin Paris. its surprisingly nice.
Most McDonalds renovations here and in the US are very inviting now. Upstairs at the Willingdon main office is quite nice and "homey". Coming back from Portland, there were a few on the way that I ended up staying for a bit longer even when I had just planned to stay for 15 minutes to use their wifi.

On a side note- I was recently at the Kingsway/Vic one, and I thought they reno'd it smaller than the original. Anyone think the same?

If I had known about that cool container Starbucks in Tukwila earlier I would've paid it a visit.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUUUUUUUU View Post

In Canada
In the Lower Mainland.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
The surrey Burger King (yea i know surrey lol) king George and 104th is litterally the most ghetto disgusting fast food I can recall and have the worst employees ever
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Most McDonalds renovations here and in the US are very inviting now. Upstairs at the Willingdon main office is quite nice and "homey". Coming back from Portland, there were a few on the way that I ended up staying for a bit longer even when I had just planned to stay for 15 minutes to use their wifi.

On a side note- I was recently at the Kingsway/Vic one, and I thought they reno'd it smaller than the original. Anyone think the same?

If I had known about that cool container Starbucks in Tukwila earlier I would've paid it a visit.
i think they did 2 renos. before their store was huge then the first reno i remembered the store became smaller, then the last reno it looks a lot smaller again but a lot more open space i think.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

There is an Asian lady that works on the 2nd floor of McD at the Willingdon location that is super nice and friendly and greets everyone that comes upstairs. She works permanently upstairs to tidy and clean things up and chats with most customers, seems to know alot of them by face or by name. That location is definitely a step above the rest.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
There is an Asian lady that works on the 2nd floor of McD at the Willingdon location that is super nice and friendly and greets everyone that comes upstairs. She works permanently upstairs to tidy and clean things up and chats with most customers, seems to know alot of them by face or by name. That location is definitely a step above the rest.
That's because it is/was the head office for the lower mainland.

Asian lady is pretty awesome too. Was cracking jokes with my friends when we were studying up there.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Learned this in my interior design class. They make it look nicer because they want consumer to stay longer (almost like fine dining) and to add more aesthetic to it, they create fancy stuff in the ceiling..

Make it look nice = People will stay and pay more stuff.
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
shes a very nice lady for sure..

as for renos in mcdonalds
usually seems smaller for customers because there needs to be more operation space for the workers themselves

king&vic has come a long from their shitty one lane drive thru / ugly dining area to pretty okay today

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
kings/vic looks pretty decent, only issue I have is that it still has that stupid big ass speed bump or w/e the fuck it is

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
i don't care if it looks dated, you just can't beat an angry whopper. #bringbackangrywhoppers!!!
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:

Only one burger king i go to is the one on bridgeport off oak st bridge. Probably only newer one in Vancouver/Richmond.

Whoppers

Way bigger than a Big Mac and almost same price
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
There aren't that many either.

The only reason to ever go to BK is for their Whopper Wednesdays.

I have one across the street, and yes, it feels like a McDonalds from 1995.
So you live near PNE?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote