REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Home Insurance Provider Review

I would like to dedicate this thread to Home Insurance Providers.

This thread will be useful for people to post their personal experience for everything under the sun including:

- The type of coverage they brought and what premium was paid
- If you had to make an insurance claim how did the process go
- Relevant information about the provider and making the claim

Let's keep it clean and honest. This thread is not to condone any type of insurance fraud or illegal activities and is to shred some light to everyone.
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

*** Saving this spot for a future review ***

Note:
I'm going through an insurance claim as of Dec 2012 and will review this after said and done.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Currently insured with Llyod. My premium for the year is around 2600 with earth quake. face value is 936,000 plus garage, personal items etc.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I have BCAA. I pay around $1100 a year for a house in Cloverdale. Value of the house is $540,000, I do not have earthquake insurance.

I've never made a claim but my parents have with BCAA and they were great. Floor got damaged they didn't even come inspect it just said call someone to fix it and they'll take care of it, they did. They also had the basement flood once, again really good experience for them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Wawanesa Insurance. $1400 a year includes Speedy Glass Replacement. No Earthquake coverage. Value of house approx $600,000. dunno about service, never had to make a claim.

**Might switch to BCAA**
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

i had cooperators, went to canadian direct, now going back to cooperators... mainly because canadian direct is being a bitch about covering my property in my rental unit. thr excuse, when somebody makes a claim, its hard to figure out whats ur's and what belongs to renters.

wtf. i told them i am renting the unit out furnished, however i dont want insurance on anything, except stove/dishwasher/fridge and flooding insureance etc . (no insurance on bed/couches etc)..

cooperators.... covered all that for about $160 for 2 bed/2bath unit. personal property upto 10k

my ill be going to them for my townhouse ,,end of the month.

with alarm got a quote for about $260, canadian direct without alarm 360$

Last edited by tool001; 01-17-2013 at 02:32 PM.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Bumping this old thread to help my mom shop around for home insurance. My mom is currently with Penn Insurance but they have recently partner/change with another company and the rate has gone up a little. She's paying roughly around $1500 vs last year $1200. I don't quite remember what she's covered but I do remember seeing it covering earthquake. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated!
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i can't remember which one i switched to, but we were with wawanessa. our agent showed another one to us and we switched due to the fact that most providers increased their deductables to a really high value, while the one we stayed with was till low (for now). the agent said the trend is to increase and wasnt' sure when the one we switched to will raise theirs (if at all, but most likely he said)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Ive Had TD renters Insurance and now BCAA, good prices, and BCAA covers our shop that is seperate from our house 900,000$ policy everything but Earthquake
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^Did lots of research and called around. Thank god my mom is a long time member at BCAA, so many discounts added onto it.
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Bumping an old thread:

Anyone still using BCAA for home (specifically, condo) insurance? Their online quote is $20 more per month than the similar/identical coverage quote from TD/CIBC. I'm curious to see if anyone has made claims (with any of the institutions I listed) and their experiences with the customer service.

Thanks in advance!
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I have a condo. I used to be with Coast Capital and then went with BCAA. I checked out Square One and I like how you can customize it down to the last detail.

One reason I went with BCAA was for piece of mind in the event of an earthquake. I think most of the other providers, when there is an earthquake event, any subsequent aftershocks within 48 hrs is considered 1 event. With BCAA, it's 168 hrs (7 days), meaning if you have an earthquake on day 1 and some of your stuff is damaged and 6 days later you have another one that destroys more stuff, it's still considered the same event so your 1 deductible covers it.

Probably not a big deal since I have a condo and my earthquake coverage only covers contents, but figured it was nicer to have.

I had my storage locker broken into, stole my road bike. Claims process with BCAA was easy, though I got screwed cuz my basic coverage only covered $1k and my bike's replacement was $2k.

Funny, I just got my BCAA renewal today and looks like my rate got jacked up ~$100. I wonder if that was from my bike claim or did prices just go up this year in general? I quickly got some online quotes from BCAA and TD and both give me less coverage that what I have now for about the same price of what I was quoted for my renewal. I guess I'll be doing some shopping around before I renew with BCAA.

Last edited by IMASA; 02-02-2016 at 04:18 PM.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

Thanks IMASA!

I'll see if I can get a more accurate quote with BCAA then. From what I gather, the customer service side with BCAA seems to stand out in a good way.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

I switched from BCAA to TD last year and ended up saving a lot. BCAA had raised my rates (keep in mind I've never had a claim) and I was able to get a quote from TD that saved me 40% for almost identical coverage. It was a no brainer, I'm now with TD.

I debated going to RBC but they would not sell me insurance without earthquake coverage which is a huge waste of money IMO and a complete deal breaker. Apparently it used to be optional and if you were with them for a while you can grandfather no earthquake coverage but if you're a new customer they force you to buy it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i go to johnson mier and let them shop around for the best insurance for me. they can only offer what they sell but they do try to shop around based on your needs/input.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

i have BCAA its pretty decent! and good customer service!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #17

Just to update the thread I did end up going with TD. It was about 40% cheaper than what I could get with BCAA for essentially identical coverage, just like quasi experienced.

Maybe I need to let my BCAA membership get to 10 years before checking back with them :P
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #18

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Long time BCAA member, bundling home insurance with car insurance.
Good customer service, and everything's thrown in there.

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Long time BCAA member, bundling home insurance with car insurance.
Good customer service, and everything's thrown in there.

Spoiler!
Mind sharing how much $$ coverage you have for your contents? I'm trying to figure out why mine went up $100. I had 1 $2k theft claim last year. Mine is a condo, $70k content coverage, earthquake coverage and they gave me a quote for $708.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Just to update the thread I did end up going with TD. It was about 40% cheaper than what I could get with BCAA for essentially identical coverage, just like quasi experienced.

Maybe I need to let my BCAA membership get to 10 years before checking back with them :P
When I spoke to BCAA I told them I'd be willing to pay more to be with them but 40% was way to much. What they ended up coming back with was a free BCAA membership......Sorry I'm saving $600 down the street a $60 membership probably isn't going to close the deal for me.

BCAA had my business for 12 or 13 years, never had a claim so I couldn't understand why they weren't more competitive. I would have paid a few hundred extra but 40% was to much.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Much like other here, I was with BCAA for the first 3 years I had my condo, then they increased my rates by, IMO, a lot so I shopped around. Ended up going with The Co-operators group and saved over 30% of what BCAA quoted me to renew.
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote