REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Back to PST in BC Tax on Private sale of cars remains @ 12%

Back to PST in BC But Tax on Private sale of cars remains @ 12% .. Wont go back to 7% as per pstinbc.ca/moving-forward/faqs

Will private vehicles sales be taxed at 7% or 12%? And will it be PST or a separate tax?

The tax on private sales of vehicles, boats and aircraft will continue at a rate of 12 per cent. These sales are not subject to GST. The 12 per cent provincial tax rate ensures similar tax treatment between private sales and sales by GST registered businesses.
Advertisement
kinni420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinni420 View Post
The 12 per cent provincial tax rate ensures similar tax treatment between private sales and sales by GST registered businesses.
What a load of BS. What business of the gov is it to ensure similar tax treatment between private sales and registered businesses, especially on goods which have already been taxed when it was purchased brand new
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
this just in
gifting 2nd hand cars have skyrocketed by 9000%
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

This is BS I have a feeling that the new car dealer association lobbied this as they would lose sales on used cars. BC stinks we would've got 10% HST if they kept it but nooooo BC residents are not that bright when it comes to finances. Is the Luxury tax coming back as well?

"Who cares about saving 2% on high-dollar purchases like TV and cars, I can't afford them but man I'm pissed that my big mac combo went up by 7%!" - Average BC person

Last edited by noclue; 01-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
I don't get it

It's called TDP 12%. Tax on Designated Property.

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/ctr_001.pdf
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
This is BS I have a feeling that the new car dealer association lobbied this as they would lose sales on used cars. BC stinks we would've got 10% HST if they kept it but nooooo BC residents are not that bright when it comes to finances. Is the Luxury tax coming back as well?

"Who cares about saving 2% on high-dollar purchases like TV and cars, I can't afford them but man I'm pissed that my big mac combo went up by 7%!" - Average BC person
People would constantly come into my parts store "Wow why is that so expensive? Oh right, HST..."

IT'S THE SAME TOTAL TAX AS THERE USED TO BE.

Ugh. People don't get numbers.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I remember someone mentioned how ridiculous it is to pay tax every time a car is sold. The initial new car purchase is taxed. The 2nd hand buyer is taxed. As is the 3rd/4th/5th/etc purchase by subsequent owners.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Well we voted to get rid of the hst eh, i liked the hst=p
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Not fucking cool. It wasn't "bring back a modified PST" it was "old style PST"

If you are just going to charge PST on everything that wasn't before, then we may as well have kept the HST.

Fucking.Government.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
What? You guys who voted to take out the HST really thought it was going to be the way it was before? That's very naive.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I remember someone mentioned how ridiculous it is to pay tax every time a car is sold. The initial new car purchase is taxed. The 2nd hand buyer is taxed. As is the 3rd/4th/5th/etc purchase by subsequent owners.
lol. come to think of it, you take your salary (which is taxed), to buy food to eat (again taxed), which you end up shitting out and drowning the sewers (which you again pay tax to cover).

such is life in the tax system in Canada.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
What? You guys who voted to take out the HST really thought it was going to be the way it was before? That's very naive.

Why do you assume every single person posting in this thread voted the HST out? That's pretty special of you that you can tell everyone's political ideologies based on them hating a tax. It's not a anti-HST thread, it's an anti-tax on used cars thread. The only reason this tax got changed in the first place is because the auto dealers association is quite powerful/influential here and even though they jack people on a daily basis using that gold/black/blue book bullshit (dealers make more money on trade-ins than they do selling new cars) it pissed them off that people could buy privately at half the tax rate and no documentation fees.

If anyone here can explain a legitimate reason why, for example, some single mom trying to buy an old Honda Odyssey to tote a couple kids around in for $10,000 has to pay a whopping $1,200 in taxes when the taxes were already collected on that vehicle when it was sold new, I will gladly take a seat in the corner... it's a joke, nothing else sold used gets taxed like that and it never should.

I also like how the province has now made the aforementioned "gift letter" process into an official form that goes on and on about how much jail time you will do if you lie on it to make it sound so scary so that nobody wants to write the value down or gift anything anymore.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

If you are just going to charge PST on everything that wasn't before, then we may as well have kept the HST.

Fucking.Government.
+1. Though during the voting process they didn't actually say the old style PST exemptions were coming back, I was expecting them to troll everybody and say PST coming back but not the old exemptions.

After the vote though it was also made pretty adamantly clear that the PST would revert back to the way it was pre-HST
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Wow. Classic govt move right there.

The reason people were so against HST wasnt because of the change in taxing, but the extra sales taxes due to exemptions we pay (ie. tax on 2nd hand cards, dining, hair cuts, utilties, etc)

So now what they did was take the bad part of PST (the outdated tax method), and incorporated it with the bad part of their HST bill (less exemptions.)

So instead of good + bad of HST, or good + bad of PST. It's bad part of HST + bad part of PST.

Revenue neutral MY ASS.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The government straight up said if HST is voted to be overturned that it most likely wont be the same GST/PST set up as before and to expect previously exempt items to still be taxed fully.

But too many fucking idiots voted because they were mad, not because it was the right thing to do.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
The government straight up said if HST is voted to be overturned that it most likely wont be the same GST/PST set up as before and to expect previously exempt items to still be taxed fully.

But too many fucking idiots voted because they were mad, not because it was the right thing to do.
The whole fucking thing was a colossal fuck up from the start, so you want me to pick and choose which aspects of the fuck up I'd like to take?

That whole 10% bullshit was an attempt to buy my love with my own money...after the fact.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I will continue to buy cars as gifts just to "thank" the govt for their hard work *sarcasm mode off*
In the end my money will still be wasted and it doesn't matter which political team is in power...
Posted via RS Mobile
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

What a gong-show this sales tax debacle has become. Everyone dropped the ball on this issue, the politicians/the media all told lies or over exaggerated things leading citizens to vote it out. Gordo screwed the province for so many years to come.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Fucking.Government.
Exactly people were not against unified tax system but against the extra tax on some items and new items included under tax.
If they voted against it that meant bring back what was it like before... And this is a new scam here As u said Modified PST ... Please publicize this where ever u can ...Newspapers, Internet and other media This is not acceptable.
Posted via RS Mobile
kinni420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
UFO

Well during the whole HST/PST vote period, they did not guarantee that PST would come back the same as it was before. Fair enough. But after HST was voted out, they went on to same that PST would revert back to the way it was, the old exemptions would come back, they didn't list any exceptions to the reversion. And now, they are. Sounds like the new car dealers went to work HARD on the Liberals here.

Publicizing this won't do anything at this point, its such a small issue. Maybe we can get Vanderzalm to back a "bring back HST" referendum
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why do you assume every single person posting in this thread voted the HST out? That's pretty special of you that you can tell everyone's political ideologies based on them hating a tax. It's not a anti-HST thread, it's an anti-tax on used cars thread. The only reason this tax got changed in the first place is because the auto dealers association is quite powerful/influential here and even though they jack people on a daily basis using that gold/black/blue book bullshit (dealers make more money on trade-ins than they do selling new cars) it pissed them off that people could buy privately at half the tax rate and no documentation fees.

If anyone here can explain a legitimate reason why, for example, some single mom trying to buy an old Honda Odyssey to tote a couple kids around in for $10,000 has to pay a whopping $1,200 in taxes when the taxes were already collected on that vehicle when it was sold new, I will gladly take a seat in the corner... it's a joke, nothing else sold used gets taxed like that and it never should.

I also like how the province has now made the aforementioned "gift letter" process into an official form that goes on and on about how much jail time you will do if you lie on it to make it sound so scary so that nobody wants to write the value down or gift anything anymore.
To the part about dealers making more money off trade ins than used vehicles. I've gone over this many times on here and don't want to go too in depth because I'm on mobile. But that statement is incorrect. Many entry level dealers like Honda and Hyundai make more profit per vehicle on used vs. new. Not trade-ins. We really would rather you keep your POS and sell it privately. Whenever someone is buying a car at a dealership and they say, "oh btw I have a trade in." we literally always say fuck. We lose money just as often as we make it on trade ins. The dealer who is making the money off a trade in is the one who buys it 3 months later from the auction after the initial dealer loses $4k on it. Just wanted to clear things up a bit here, we really don't get excited or make good money off trade ins. Sorry for off topic rant, I do however agree with your other points. I buy/sell my cars often and it sucks paying 12% tax literally twice a year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I like how you sound both surprised and offended that the government would try to discourage people from both breaking the law and evading paying taxes. Whether you like it or not, the law is that if you buy a car, new or used, you pay taxes. This business of gifting and writing it down just means that people like me who actually pay taxes, pay to take the Skytrain, and generally play within the rules of the system, end up having to pay more to cover for all the motherfuckers who think they are too good to pay and skip out.

Mark
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I like how you sound both surprised and offended that the government would try to discourage people from both breaking the law and evading paying taxes. Whether you like it or not, the law is that if you buy a car, new or used, you pay taxes. This business of gifting and writing it down just means that people like me who actually pay taxes, pay to take the Skytrain, and generally play within the rules of the system, end up having to pay more to cover for all the motherfuckers who think they are too good to pay and skip out.

Mark
We shouldn't have to pay taxes on a used car that was sold between two private parties, the taxes were paid when the car was new, and should cover it for the remainder of it's life as a car, no matter who owns it.

If taxing the sale of a used car makes sense, then we should (logically) be paying taxes on EVERY used item we buy. Of course, that's horse shit, and so is paying tax on a used vehicle.

The only cost the government has to cover with the initial p2p transfer, is the .001c piece(s) of paper that makes the sale legal when you scribble on it/them.

I also happen to pay for the Skytrain, since it's a service that actually costs a considerable amount of money to maintain.

We all pay to register our cars, that is the only fee I am willing to pay, as it costs money to uphold a registry and input new information manually.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-16-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
I'll stick to buying 500 dollar cars and spending 10s of thousands to build them with used parts
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
We shouldn't have to pay taxes on a used car that was sold between two private parties, the taxes were paid when the car was new, and should cover it for the remainder of it's life as a car, no matter who owns it.

If taxing the sale of a used car makes sense, then we should (logically) be paying taxes on EVERY used item we buy. Of course, that's horse shit, and so is paying tax on a used vehicle.

The only cost the government has to cover with the initial p2p transfer, is the .001c piece(s) of paper that makes the sale legal when you scribble on it/them.

I also happen to pay for the Skytrain, since it's a service that actually costs a considerable amount of money to maintain.

We all pay to register our cars, that is the only fee I am willing to pay, as it costs money to uphold a registry and input new information manually.
Yeah, its a cash cow and yes its BS. But it isn't up to you to decide and justify which tax you should have to pay and which tax you shouldn't. And by circumventing the used car tax you are also commiting fraud and forcing everybody else who is law-abiding to buck up and pay your portion as well.
This post thanked by: