REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Flu Season is bad this year (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679096-flu-season-bad-year.html)

SkinnyPupp 01-12-2013 08:22 PM

Flu Season is bad this year

http://i.imgur.com/vhvKd.png

Google Flu Trends | Canada

Google has a pretty neat app that aggregates searches to determine how bad flu seasons are around the world, and this year looks like a bad one for BC!

Take precautions

murd0c 01-12-2013 08:24 PM

I wouldnt know, Didn't take a single sick day at work at all last year and so far this year I have been 100

DavidNguyen 01-12-2013 09:09 PM

I'd say its pretty bad. Just recovering from a flu.
I missed a week of work last week. Hurts the company and hurts my pocket book
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 01-12-2013 09:49 PM

yep cases of people affected by the flu have been far above average already; it's really bad in the states as well

not to mention this seasons strain will be particularly hard on the elderly and people weaker in health

so doctors are asking anyone that's sick to stay at home and take a sick leave

LC21 01-12-2013 11:09 PM

I swear to god, the entire city was sick last week.

Mr.HappySilp 01-12-2013 11:30 PM

I was really sick on Thrus night had to take a day off on Friday. I was basically coughing and feel like puking the whole night.
I sleep pretty much the whole Friday. Now I fee way better.

Traum 01-12-2013 11:32 PM

Makes me wonder though -- of those that got sick, how many of them took the flu shot? And how many had the opportunity to have the flu shot, but turned it down? I remember reading somewhere that the typical take rate of the flu shot is only around 40% of the population.

I must have been taking the flu shot for at least the past 15+ years. During this time, I have never been seriously sick due to the flu. It doesn't mean I didn't get the flu -- I most certainly did in a few years. But whenever I had it, it was always really mild.

iEatClams 01-12-2013 11:53 PM

^ I still have the ability to still take a flu shot, I just have to go to any pharmacy and then book it and pay for it and my employer will reimburse my flu shot,

but is it still worth it? like the the flu season may be already passed? maybe I'll go in on Monday. . .. .

Traum 01-13-2013 12:04 AM

A recent magazine article that I read just last night suggests that the flu season is considered to go from Oct - Apr, with Dec - Feb being considered the worst months. The flu variant we are getting this year (forgot the exact strain) is quite virulent (and hence a lot of people with severe symptoms), but the flu shot this year was a very good match. For the vaccine to come into full effect, however, it'll take around 2 weeks. Still, healthcare professionals are still recommending people to go take the flu shot now if they haven't had it yet.

A really long time ago when I wasn't getting the annual flu shot, there was one year I got hit, and I literally fell so ill that I practically bed-ridden and feeling miserable for a whole week. I'm pretty sure I've been getting the shot ever since then.

Obsideon 01-13-2013 12:28 AM

The flu virus has been pretty intense this year, when I was walking around Shoppers and Safeway, in the pharmacy section there was a ton of people. Everyone was hacking and coughing... kinda scary. I caught a cold just before Christmas too, it wasn't "severe" but it was one of the longest lasting colds I've had in many many years.

Yodamaster 01-13-2013 12:40 AM

Grateful for my immune system, I never suffer from any sort of flu.

jello24 01-13-2013 12:49 AM

Maybe I just have a cough and cold, but this certain cough and cold has been with me since Boxing Day and has yet to leave which is VERY weird to say the least. Usually symptoms disappear after a week, but this one's just doesn't wanna go away, even with the two week holiday rest.

Kinda pissing me off since I'm more easily fatigued while snowboarding than is usual... even worse at that altitude with thinner air...

MG1 01-13-2013 12:51 AM

So, in Asia, a lot of people wear masks. Does it make a difference?

CRS 01-13-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8130917)
So, in Asia, a lot of people wear masks. Does it make a difference?

Yes it does.

However, the best way for prevention/spreading is to continually wash your hands.

entrax 01-13-2013 01:00 AM

i was wondering whether it was just me noticing that it's been bad this year. glad i'm not alone, been coughing since fall semester finals

1exotic 01-13-2013 01:33 AM

I never get sick, but have been for the last week.

Harvey Specter 01-13-2013 01:40 AM

I've been sick for 2 weeks now; first a normal cold, typical sneezing and stuffy nose which lasted a week followed by a dry and annoying cough and now the last two days I have a stomach bug plus the cough.

Fcukedd 01-13-2013 02:02 AM

Wow I guess it wasn't just a coincidence lol. Over 10 of my friends caught the flu these past few weeks. Stayed in bed for NYE and the following days

SoNaRWaVe 01-13-2013 02:14 AM

Could be because of this:

New norovirus strain found in British Columbia | BC Centre for Disease Control

Harvey Specter 01-13-2013 02:25 AM

Norovirus is a mofo.

GLOW 01-13-2013 08:50 AM

got flu shot at work in nov., gets diff strain of flu in dec

:fuuuuu:

murd0c 01-13-2013 09:28 AM

I don't personally believe in flu shots and have never and will never get one. I rather want my body to fight it off naturally then having some man made modified shit injected into my body.
Posted via RS Mobile

LP700-4 01-13-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8130847)
Makes me wonder though -- of those that got sick, how many of them took the flu shot? And how many had the opportunity to have the flu shot, but turned it down? I remember reading somewhere that the typical take rate of the flu shot is only around 40% of the population.

I must have been taking the flu shot for at least the past 15+ years. During this time, I have never been seriously sick due to the flu. It doesn't mean I didn't get the flu -- I most certainly did in a few years. But whenever I had it, it was always really mild.

I never get sick but when I do, it's right after my flu shot. Literally the evening I got my flu shot I was starting to become sick ending up being sick for a whole 4 days
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 01-13-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 8131058)
I never get sick but when I do, it's right after my flu shot. Literally the evening I got my flu shot I was starting to become sick ending up being sick for a whole 4 days
Posted via RS Mobile

Thats because the Flu shot is the virus being injected into your system so most people get sick after getting it.

drunkrussian 01-13-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8130847)

i rejectthe opportunity for a free one eevery year. rather risk geting wick ghan inject shit in my body. only a matter of time before they link flu shots to some crazy shit u pass on to your children
Posted via RS Mobile