REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Aaron Swartz (rss, reddit) Dead

So i didn't know who this guy was until I read this article and was surprised by it so thought id make a thread :P

Quote:
Aaron Swartz, internet freedom activist, dies aged 26

Aaron Swartz, a celebrated internet freedom activist and early developer of the website Reddit, has died at 26.

The activist and programmer took his life in his New York apartment, a relative and the state medical examiner said. His body was found on Friday.

Mr Swartz began computer programming as a child, and at 14 co-authored an early version of the RSS specification.

He later became an advocate of internet freedom, and was facing hacking charges at the time of his death.

He was among the founders of the Demand Progress campaign group, which lobbies against internet censorship.

The hacking charges relate to the downloading of millions of academic papers from online archive JSTOR, which prosecutors say he intended to distribute for free.

He denied charges of computer fraud at an initial hearing last year, but his federal trial was due to begin next month.

Mr Swartz's lawyer Elliot R. Peters confirmed the news of his client's death in an email to the MIT university newspaper The Tech.

"The tragic and heartbreaking information you received is, regrettably, true," he wrote.

A spokeswoman for New York's medical examiner later confirmed to Associated Press news agency that Mr Swartz had hanged himself.

In a statement later on Saturday, Mr Swartz's family praised his "brilliance" and "profound" commitment to social justice and also expressed bitterness toward the prosecutors pursuing the case against him.

"Aaron's death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach," the statement said.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee - the British inventor of the world wide web - commemorated Mr Swartz in a Twitter post: "Aaron dead. World wanderers, we have lost a wise elder. Hackers for right, we are one down. Parents all, we have lost a child. Let us weep."
BBC News - Aaron Swartz, internet freedom activist, dies aged 26

Oh i recognize him from this picture when he was a kid

what he looked like, older

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

rip

wow had no idea the founder of two well known technologies had such an interesting backstory either
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
What a bitch move to kill your self and not face what you supposedly believe in.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
What a bitch move to kill your self and not face what you supposedly believe in.
Iunno man...when you're facing up to 50 years in prison and $4 million in fines looming over your head....

Aaron Swartz, Coder and Activist, Dead at 26 | Threat Level | Wired.com
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Life sentence for a nonviolent crime is just fucked up.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Iunno man...when you're facing up to 50 years in prison and $4 million in fines looming over your head....

Aaron Swartz, Coder and Activist, Dead at 26 | Threat Level | Wired.com
You fight what you believe in and make your views known. Whats the point of view of the freedom of the internet known. You don't give up and kill yourself you need to fight and it's sad no question he didn't have it in him to fight it like he should of
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
You fight what you believe in and make your views known. Whats the point of view of the freedom of the internet known. You don't give up and kill yourself you need to fight and it's sad no question he didn't have it in him to fight it like he should of

We'll never know what was going on in his life.

It doesn't matter if he's some enigmatic freedom fighter, if he was getting no pussy, socially isolated, facing jail and poverty, and on a major down, shit can turn south with depression real fast.

People prone to depression need to develop coping skills, and no matter how much weed I smoke and how much Lil Wayne I dance to, I don't know if I could cheer myself up if I was facing 50 years in jail and like $8m in fines or whatever.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Could have been staged to look like a suicide. N.W.O.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
One of the true geniuses of our generation but he'll never get that sort of recognition because he never wanted to be rich and so never made anything to make money...just did shit to better the Internet.

Shows how much those in power understand today's world when a guy like that faces a heavy prison sentence but bankers couldn't possibly go to jail and for some reason Lindsay Lohan is still free.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Maybe he had other problems...
What a loss for the world, where the retards continue to live but the geniuses die
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

im surprised Conde Nest fired him right after buying reddit though that explains why he got a chill farewell in reddit too i suppose interview with him 5yrs ago pretty neat A Chat with Aaron Swartz

and in regards to JSTOR im surprised the govt. went after him even though JSTOR dropped their charges/case against him; probably because he's credited for spearheading the movement that stopped SOPA

anyway what a waste

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Or you kill yourself, becoming something of a martyr. I knew he was a founder of Reddit but that was it. Yet he killed himself, and now has a post on RS which means he has posts on forums all over the place.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Ernest Hemingway

RIP
Posted via RS Mobile
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Rip
Mozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
I don't get it

rip

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I was not disappointed that I did not have to go to page 2 before someone mentioned possible conspiracy theories regarding his death.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Very sad indeed RIP
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Or you kill yourself, becoming something of a martyr. I knew he was a founder of Reddit but that was it. Yet he killed himself, and now has a post on RS which means he has posts on forums all over the place.
i was gonna say this. I don't believe he did it for this reason, but either way, the issue and what was going on with him is probably now known by 10x more people than it otherwise would've been, including myself. Seemed like a hardcore activist so his death at least raised crazy awareness for what he believed in
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Life sentence for a nonviolent crime is just fucked up.
I have to agree completely with this.

Assault is what, only 5-10 years?

And this guy got 30+ years for pulling some files?

The only thing I can think of is that they were threatened by his power to give him any less..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Quote:
I understand the kneejerk reaction, but if you read more into it you'd know that he's spent years (since 2007) battling depression with medications... he wasn't a happy guy and definitely had some serious problems. Depression is pretty powerful on its own let alone the other stuff hanging over his head, don't bitch someone out unless you've experienced it.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #21
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Rip. I'm a daily user of RSS feeds and Reddit

Posted via RS Mobile
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #22

theverge has been doing a lot of stories on Aaron Swartz

and the latest one says that Swartz was a wikileaker and his legal troubles had the secret service behind it

Wikileaks claims Aaron Swartz was an ally and possible source, breaking anonymity | The Verge

interesting if you've got nothing to do tonight