REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Large Quasar Group (LQG) Discovered

Largest Structure in Universe Discovered:

Quote:
Astronomers have discovered the largest known structure in the universe, a clump of active galactic cores that stretches 4 billion light-years from end to end.

The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes. This particular group is so large that it challenges modern cosmological theory, researchers said.

"While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire universe," lead author Roger Clowes, of the University of Central Lancashire in England, said in a statement. "This is hugely exciting, not least because it runs counter to our current understanding of the scale of the universe."

Quasars are the brightest objects in the universe. For decades, astronomers have known that they tend to assemble in huge groups, some of which are more than 600 million light-years wide.

But the record-breaking quasar group, which Clowes and his team spotted in data gathered by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, is on another scale altogether. The newfound LQC is composed of 73 quasars and spans about 1.6 billion light-years in most directions, though it is 4 billion light-years across at its widest point.

To put that mind-boggling size into perspective, the disk of the Milky Way galaxy — home of Earth's solar system — is about 100,000 light-years wide. And the Milky Way is separated from its nearest galactic neighbor, Andromeda, by about 2.5 million light-years.

The newly discovered LQC is so enormous, in fact, that theory predicts it shouldn't exist, researchers said. The quasar group appears to violate a widely accepted assumption known as the cosmological principle, which holds that the universe is essentially homogeneous when viewed at a sufficiently large scale.

Calculations suggest that structures larger than about 1.2 billion light-years should not exist, researchers said.

"Our team has been looking at similar cases which add further weight to this challenge, and we will be continuing to investigate these fascinating phenomena," Clowes said.

The new study was published today (Jan. 11) in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

another source: UCLan team discover largest structure in the universe - News & Events - University of Central Lancashire

Quasars are essentially the escaping energy generated outside the event horizon of a super-massive black hole. The escaping energy is propelled vertically by gravitational stresses and immense friction of incoming material towards the black hole, making Quasars the most luminous, powerful, and energetic objects known in the universe.
Advertisement

Last edited by wreck; 01-14-2013 at 11:00 PM.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

People can believe what they want to believe.. Its good to have hope in something
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

All the more reason to believe in a being greater than anything we know. Because, you know.... no one + nothing = everything, right? (big bang theory)

Quote:
Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
For me: Science, how; "God", why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm of Canterbury
The fool says in his heart there is no God, but by God he means ‘that thing then which no greater thing can be conceived’. But by conceiving of that thing, he then defines God as whatever he can greatest imagine. Therefore, God does exist as he has imagined that thing which must be greater in reality than in his imagination.
"God" is to us what we are to Ants; whether or not our interpretation is correct is moot, we'll never know within our lifetimes. In the meantime, let's do our best to look out, enjoy the wonders that are out there, and figure out as much of the mystery as we can. Because no matter how much we learn, we'll never learn everything and we might as well enjoy the ride.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates View Post

and people still believe in god.. lol.

I'm agnostic, I'm open to something greater than us.

I know I'll get laughed at, but I saw a floating, wet black ball once at Hycroft manor. I'm not fucking kidding! It was weird! Never seen anything like it since.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I wonder if I'll live to see actual, affordable commercial space travel take off, a la sci-fi.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I sure as hell would love to take a trip to space. Must be all that Macross I've watched.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
4 billion light years across at the widest spot?

I can't even wrap my head around a scale that big.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
more surprises to come
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

The Scale of the Universe
Jump to 10²³.⁹

4 billion light years = 37.8421136 yottameters

Last edited by FN-2199; 01-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
To the un-initiated, it's worth noting that these measurements have been taken from information that has travelled an incredible amount of years to reach the point as to where we could actually take notes.

So when they take notes on this kind of structure, they have to account for the fact that the light information took so long to get here, meaning that they have to add it (years of age) to the findings that they reviewed regarding it's age according to the light information alone.

So however far away it is in light years, is how much age you have to add to it, on top of the age you estimate it to be in the initial review of the information.

We have the wonderful ability to see the past, fuck I love space.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
The sound of inevitability

Quote:

would that kind of be the equivalent of how a small microbe on your balls or on a piece of furniture is compared to the milky way?

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Yep - first thing that came to my mind was:

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I just get so dumbfounded when it comes to the Universe, how complex and vast it is and how puny we are. Yet we (or rather I) always think that the universe revolves around us.. a wake up call every now and then is much appreciated.

On another note, what are your opinions on this video?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

I get failed by Alatar and Hondaracer, yet they are too simple minded to post up their own thoughts on the subject?

I've been used to being judged for my beliefs all my life and a few "FAILS" on a car forum aren't going to bother me. Just FYI .

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
here's my thought, there is no god.

and if there is, it's a good thing he builds men in his image that put bullets in 8 year olds chests
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol i doubt that's the biggest thing in our universe.

when it comes to "existence" in the cosmos, the scale of something is irrelevant.

depending on your perspective, 4 billion light years across could be microscopic compared to some of the larger things that exist.

like a fractal, you can zoom in forever, and zoom out forever. there's always something smaller and always something bigger. at ANY level. it's infinite both ways.

just like time. infinite, forward, and backwards. there is no beginning, and no end.

this applies to god. everything above your level is a god. and everything above their level is a god to them. and so on and so forth, infinitely. you can never reach the top tier, because it does not exist. and you can never reach the bottom, because that, does not exist either.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Can't we have a conversation about space without getting into the existence (or not) of God(s)?

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lol i doubt that's the biggest thing in our universe.

when it comes to "existence" in the cosmos, the scale of something is irrelevant.

depending on your perspective, 4 billion light years across could be microscopic compared to some of the larger things that exist.

like a fractal, you can zoom in forever, and zoom out forever. there's always something smaller and always something bigger. at ANY level. it's infinite both ways.

just like time. infinite, forward, and backwards. there is no beginning, and no end.

this applies to god. everything above your level is a god. and everything above their level is a god to them. and so on and so forth, infinitely. you can never reach the top tier, because it does not exist. and you can never reach the bottom, because that, does not exist either.
don't confuse the universe with the observable universe.

and you have no idea what you are talking about.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nates View Post
don't confuse the universe with the observable universe.

and you have no idea what you are talking about.
i said cosmos.

all of existence.

not just our universe. all universes, and existence in the physical, spiritual, metaphysical realms, and beyond that. ALL of existence, of anything, in ANY realm, in ANY dimension.

you may have a hard time grasping what ALL of existence means. If you don't get it, there is no explanation that can satisfy you.

you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
The newly discovered LQC is so enormous, in fact, that theory predicts it shouldn't exist, researchers said. The quasar group appears to violate a widely accepted assumption known as the cosmological principle, which holds that the universe is essentially homogeneous when viewed at a sufficiently large scale.

Calculations suggest that structures larger than about 1.2 billion light-years should not exist, researchers said.
something exists, that shouldnt exist. yet it exists. so who's wrong? obviously they are. there is some flaw in their calculation or their fundamental logic as a whole.

so there's the observable universe, which lies within our universe, correct?
and our universe is expanding right?
and what medium is it expanding in? I don't care what you say, but it exists. the universe is living proof of something larger than it is.
and beyond that medium? and beyond that medium? and beyond that medium?

and we're only talking about the physical world. don't limit yourself to what you can see and measure.

to the frog in the well, the well, is the universe. you are that frog.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 01-14-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I get failed by Alatar and Hondaracer, yet they are too simple minded to post up their own thoughts on the subject?

I've been used to being judged for my beliefs all my life and a few "FAILS" on a car forum aren't going to bother me. Just FYI .
I didn't fail you for your beliefs. I failed you for bringing them into this Scientific discussion/topic.

I'll fail you again if there's the assumption that someone choosing to not to post, or to post later when they have more time means they're "simple minded".

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
I didn't fail you for your beliefs. I failed you for bringing them into this Scientific discussion/topic.
Technically it was something in nature...

Quote:
Can't we have a conversation about space without getting into the existence (or not) of God(s)?

Apparently not.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i said cosmos.

all of existence.

not just our universe. all universes, and existence in the physical, spiritual, metaphysical realms, and beyond that. ALL of existence, of anything, in ANY realm, in ANY dimension.

you may have a hard time grasping what ALL of existence means. If you don't get it, there is no explanation that can satisfy you.

you have no idea what you are talking about.

something exists, that shouldnt exist. yet it exists. so who's wrong? obviously they are. there is some flaw in their calculation or their fundamental logic as a whole.

so there's the observable universe, which lies within our universe, correct?
and our universe is expanding right?
and what medium is it expanding in? I don't care what you say, but it exists. the universe is living proof of something larger than it is.
and beyond that medium? and beyond that medium? and beyond that medium?

and we're only talking about the physical world. don't limit yourself to what you can see and measure.

to the frog in the well, the well, is the universe. you are that frog.
Getting a bit too speculative and fantastical when thinking about multiverses. There are more than enough amazing things within the observable universe that we can examine that are worth our while, than spend too much of our time pontificating about things that can never be proven to exist (alternate universes, hypothetical realities which we can never interact with, God(s), etc.

To put things into perspective, the previous record holder for the largest structure was the Sloan Great Wall, at 1.38 billion years in diameter -
Sloan Great Wall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
The Lone Wanderator

Which sort of brings me back to my point of "In our lifetimes we'll never explore even the tiniest corner of our huge universe".

I really don't understand the point of bickering about how big it is or isn't; it comes back to how big we can think. Our brains are molecularly tiny compared to the cosmos, so what's out there is quite probably larger than we can comprehend.

Bask in the beauty, motherfuckers.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
I STILL don't get it

it is very apparent a lot of you have no idea how far theoretical physics has come.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
The immense stupidity in some of the comments I see is astonishing. I don't know why this moronic OP is laughing at people who believe in God either. Two categories of people that annoy me. Overzealous religious people and dumbfuck Atheists who talk about science when they know nothing. What was supposed to be an amazing discovery for all of us to marvel at regardless of whether you believe in God or not, was steered into some pointless religious discussion by the retard.
Posted via RS Mobile
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote