REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #51
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Hey Gridlock, cool post but I don't know what any of it means but here's a suggestion!

Creative Writing - Douglas College

Merry Christmas! ^_^
Advertisement
Master_Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #52
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I have 2-channel audiophile system with a Technics turntable from 1977 with a modern Shure MMC. I also have vinyl records that were pressed from analog masters. For example, I have a 1980s pressing of Thriller. Did Quincy Jones use DATs back then? I doubt it.

I also have a variety of .flac media. I can tell the difference between the digital and analog media, even with the scratches and dust on my records.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeah, I've been able to notice the difference with my audiophile headphones when I listen to an old vinyl compared to even the same song in .flac. With a high end system you get to hear everything on a track, good and bad. I think we both agree that there is a "charm" to vinyl's sound though.

Sidenote: I despise of off-topic thread posts. ahah
jakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #53
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
See, I think you are completely, 100% batshit fucking wrong.

Wow, I should just start every post with that.

Anyway...dukes=wrong. Go.

You are looking at it like the industry is pushing digital, and I take it the exact opposite way. They were pushed/pulled/dragged into digital distribution and did not want to go there.

They sued, like everyone. It's been covered to death. Don't want to dwell there.

But here's my take.

In the 90's, relatively speaking, they had a bit of a heyday in their system. Big phat fucking studios cranking out music on CD's...a beautiful little system of being cheap as borsht to produce top quality results. MTV cranking out a generation of kids that lived this shit like no other. It wasn't "buy the new Elvis record" it was "buy Backstreet boys AND No doubt AND N*sync AND spice girls" Even better..the parents that got THEIR parents the jobs at EMI are still buying. Plus concerts.

Great time to be alive.

So why would someone change it? They were gods in their own demain. Fuck, once a year they even get on tv and celebrate how fucking awesome they are.

So Napster/metallica/internet/riaa/kazaa/ happens. I just summed up 7 years of entertainment news in one sentence.

Do you think they are now going to say, "oh gee. You were right. We were unfair. Let's all play nice now"

Hell no.

Music for the masses now has the staying power of a television commercial. It's white noise. Sure, some make it to the top, but think about the 1 hit wonder. It's now so common, its unreal. No one really cares. Push out a bunch of shit and see what sticks.

Some go up and become bigger, but a lot just fizz out.

We have AI and X Factor pumping out 2 new singers a year, plus a couple out of the finalists branch on their own.

So the game now is cheap out. Why create an album of b-sides? Just release a track, and if it goes somewhere, release some more.

I think eventually it will turn around, much like grunge was an answer to 80's hair bands, there will be a new spin on the whole thing that will hopefully be based on quality.

(I'm talking mainstream music here...I know you can name 50 bands that are 'tite' and all, but I'm talking the masses of music consumers...teenage girls, mid-20's type buyers)

And if my case hasn't been made... will.i.am and the black eyed peas. Perfect example of mass marketed fuzz.
Wut.
jakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

That sucks, I hope it goes well in the end eh. I buy all my Blu ray through hmv
Posted via RS Mobile
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #55
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Even Blu-Ray is not far off from being a dead format, especially with the demise of rental places like Blockbuster & Rogers.

It sucks because I have no desire to own a big movie collection, I rarely ever re-watch movies. I was happy to pay the rental fee to watch a movie in Blu-Ray quality. Now the only convenient options are On-Demand/Streaming services which offer downscaled & compressed garbage, or downloading blu-ray rips. Guess which one wins?

As far as CD's go, the digital age has definately brought about more emphasis on the one hit wonder, rather than focussing on making a good "Album".

There are still some bands that can make a good album which is listenable from start-finish, but it's pretty rare.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
For any audio nerds in this discussion (Tapioca, Belaud, et al. who thanked my previous post), give this podcast with Dave Grohl a listen, it blew my mind.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...3_-_dave_grohl

He made a documentary about this custom hand-made soundboard that Nirvana recorded Nevermind on among other great albums (Fleetwood Mac's Rumors), and they totally geek out about music, vinyl, tube amps etc. A great listen.

Made me dust off my Grado's and pop in my MFSL copy of Nevermind.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote