REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Manti Te'o: College football star makes up a fake girlfriend who passed away (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679282-manti-teo-college-football-star-makes-up-fake-girlfriend-who-passed-away.html)

sonick 01-17-2013 03:20 PM

Manti Te'o: College football star makes up a fake girlfriend who passed away

Didn't see it mentioned here, but it's pretty big news story down in the states.

Basically a college football star, destined 1st round NFL pick, had his grandmother and girlfriend die on the same day but had an amazing season. Only turns out the girlfriend was not real all along.

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Long read, but the whole story is ridiculous.

El Bastardo 01-17-2013 03:22 PM

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7528784

Related, but not worthy of its own thread.

vitaminG 01-17-2013 03:52 PM

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsg...8440018735.jpg

drunkrussian 01-17-2013 03:55 PM

saw this on ctv news this morning...guy looks crazy

7seven 01-17-2013 04:11 PM

I don't buy for one second Te'o wasn't in on this, Notre Dame and his statement just seems like bullshit. There seems to be 2 school of thoughts going around why he would do this, 1) to make his Heisman push and his story seem more triumpant, overcoming 2 tragedies and 2) He's gay and the fake girlfriend was a cover.

Te'o was slated to be a top 10 pick, this will likely hurt his draft stock a bit raising character issues, the draft combine interviews should be interesting that's for sure. Watching him this year, haven't really been sold on him making an easy transition to the NFL, despite his great senior year, seems to lack speed and natural explosive athletic ability. He created a lot of turnovers this year, but that really came out of nowhere just this year, not the best pass rusher or getting to the QB and average tackler. Jarvis Jones is the linebacker to watch out for in this years draft, guy is an absolute beast.

StylinRed 01-17-2013 04:33 PM

i can see him just being embarrassed by the fact that he's got an online girlfriend so he makes up some stories about meeting her etc so that he doesn't seem like a nerd with his football buddies etc... its not unbelievable

but i can also see him making this up for pity points during the run for the Heisman but it seems a bit much since his grandma did pass away

bcrdukes 01-17-2013 06:04 PM

His story reminded me of the local residents here on Revscene's own VLS Relationship forum.

"I like a girl but really, I made her up so people would feel sorry for me and pitch in with their show of support."

:gay:

StylinRed 01-17-2013 06:20 PM

^^ i was thinking the relationship forum too lol, didn't want to be a dick though and mention it :P

Hondaracer 01-17-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 8135014)
I don't buy for one second Te'o wasn't in on this, Notre Dame and his statement just seems like bullshit. There seems to be 2 school of thoughts going around why he would do this, 1) to make his Heisman push and his story seem more triumpant, overcoming 2 tragedies and 2) He's gay and the fake girlfriend was a cover.

Te'o was slated to be a top 10 pick, this will likely hurt his draft stock a bit raising character issues, the draft combine interviews should be interesting that's for sure. Watching him this year, haven't really been sold on him making an easy transition to the NFL, despite his great senior year, seems to lack speed and natural explosive athletic ability. He created a lot of turnovers this year, but that really came out of nowhere just this year, not the best pass rusher or getting to the QB and average tackler. Jarvis Jones is the linebacker to watch out for in this years draft, guy is an absolute beast.

first time i've heard of the gay angle actually but makes sense!

and yea either way it's going to hurt his draft position, either A) you're fucked up and created this whole thing to benefit you or B) you were dumb enough to fall into his hoax

SkinnyPupp 01-17-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 8135014)

Totally buying the #2 story, especially when you consider his family are a bunch of nutcases... His parents have said that she has visited him in Hawaii, and he would go out with her all the time... yet they have never seen her, so who is he going out with really?

Manic! 01-17-2013 09:38 PM

According to the guy who made the documentary and MTV show Catfish dating who was on CNN says another person was duped by the same person. Every time he went to meet her the same guy would show up and make up an excuse. That same guy knows Manti Te'o. To add another twist a Former NFL player claims to have meet the girl.

7seven 01-17-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8135267)
Totally buying the #2 story, especially when you consider his family are a bunch of nutcases... His parents have said that she has visited him in Hawaii, and he would go out with her all the time... yet they have never seen her, so who is he going out with really?

There are just way too many holes and inconsistencies in his and Notre Dame's official statement that he was the victim and duped. Te'o and Notre Dame claimed to have discovered the hoax on Dec 6th, but in interviews on Dec 8th before the Heisman ceremony he was still referring to his girlfriend who died from cancer. There are too many other red flags for me to believe he was duped and a victim and not involved in this.

AAnthony 01-17-2013 11:12 PM

-----

sonick 01-18-2013 07:36 AM

Haha so much win.

predom 01-18-2013 12:16 PM

Who cares?
Posted via RS Mobile

drunkrussian 01-26-2013 01:37 PM

good interview

Harvey Specter 01-26-2013 01:52 PM

I think the guy is gay but he doesn't know how to come out and say it because the entire story is beyond bizarre.

Vansterdam 01-26-2013 03:35 PM

:lawl::lawl::lawl:

SeanJohn 01-26-2013 10:42 PM