REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,998 Times in 1,580 Posts
Manti Te'o: College football star makes up a fake girlfriend who passed away

Didn't see it mentioned here, but it's pretty big news story down in the states.

Basically a college football star, destined 1st round NFL pick, had his grandmother and girlfriend die on the same day but had an amazing season. Only turns out the girlfriend was not real all along.

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Long read, but the whole story is ridiculous.
Advertisement
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,356 Times in 1,206 Posts
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7528784

Related, but not worthy of its own thread.

[14-01, 13:15] GLOW older the chicken, sweeter the stirfry
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,872 Times in 695 Posts
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

saw this on ctv news this morning...guy looks crazy
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,067 Times in 828 Posts
I don't buy for one second Te'o wasn't in on this, Notre Dame and his statement just seems like bullshit. There seems to be 2 school of thoughts going around why he would do this, 1) to make his Heisman push and his story seem more triumpant, overcoming 2 tragedies and 2) He's gay and the fake girlfriend was a cover.

Te'o was slated to be a top 10 pick, this will likely hurt his draft stock a bit raising character issues, the draft combine interviews should be interesting that's for sure. Watching him this year, haven't really been sold on him making an easy transition to the NFL, despite his great senior year, seems to lack speed and natural explosive athletic ability. He created a lot of turnovers this year, but that really came out of nowhere just this year, not the best pass rusher or getting to the QB and average tackler. Jarvis Jones is the linebacker to watch out for in this years draft, guy is an absolute beast.

13 Range Rover SC
11 Yukon Hybrid
13 Accord V6 Coupe

Last edited by 7seven; 01-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
i can see him just being embarrassed by the fact that he's got an online girlfriend so he makes up some stories about meeting her etc so that he doesn't seem like a nerd with his football buddies etc... its not unbelievable

but i can also see him making this up for pity points during the run for the Heisman but it seems a bit much since his grandma did pass away
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
His story reminded me of the local residents here on Revscene's own VLS Relationship forum.

"I like a girl but really, I made her up so people would feel sorry for me and pitch in with their show of support."

bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
^^ i was thinking the relationship forum too lol, didn't want to be a dick though and mention it :P
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I don't buy for one second Te'o wasn't in on this, Notre Dame and his statement just seems like bullshit. There seems to be 2 school of thoughts going around why he would do this, 1) to make his Heisman push and his story seem more triumpant, overcoming 2 tragedies and 2) He's gay and the fake girlfriend was a cover.

Te'o was slated to be a top 10 pick, this will likely hurt his draft stock a bit raising character issues, the draft combine interviews should be interesting that's for sure. Watching him this year, haven't really been sold on him making an easy transition to the NFL, despite his great senior year, seems to lack speed and natural explosive athletic ability. He created a lot of turnovers this year, but that really came out of nowhere just this year, not the best pass rusher or getting to the QB and average tackler. Jarvis Jones is the linebacker to watch out for in this years draft, guy is an absolute beast.
first time i've heard of the gay angle actually but makes sense!

and yea either way it's going to hurt his draft position, either A) you're fucked up and created this whole thing to benefit you or B) you were dumb enough to fall into his hoax
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post

Totally buying the #2 story, especially when you consider his family are a bunch of nutcases... His parents have said that she has visited him in Hawaii, and he would go out with her all the time... yet they have never seen her, so who is he going out with really?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,816 Times in 1,744 Posts
According to the guy who made the documentary and MTV show Catfish dating who was on CNN says another person was duped by the same person. Every time he went to meet her the same guy would show up and make up an excuse. That same guy knows Manti Te'o. To add another twist a Former NFL player claims to have meet the girl.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,067 Times in 828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Totally buying the #2 story, especially when you consider his family are a bunch of nutcases... His parents have said that she has visited him in Hawaii, and he would go out with her all the time... yet they have never seen her, so who is he going out with really?
There are just way too many holes and inconsistencies in his and Notre Dame's official statement that he was the victim and duped. Te'o and Notre Dame claimed to have discovered the hoax on Dec 6th, but in interviews on Dec 8th before the Heisman ceremony he was still referring to his girlfriend who died from cancer. There are too many other red flags for me to believe he was duped and a victim and not involved in this.

13 Range Rover SC
11 Yukon Hybrid
13 Accord V6 Coupe
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 12:06 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,998 Times in 1,580 Posts
Haha so much win.
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Who cares?
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #16

good interview

drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 8,023 Times in 2,085 Posts
I think the guy is gay but he doesn't know how to come out and say it because the entire story is beyond bizarre.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
【=◈‿◈=】

Thanked 8,881 Times in 2,011 Posts

Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

SeanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: