REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Vietnamese Coffee Maker

Where can I buy one locally?
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
are u talking about the ones that they give u at restaurants on top of the cup? I got mine at 88 super market on victoria and 33. cheaper than tnt and yohan
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
are u talking about the ones that they give u at restaurants on top of the cup? I got mine at 88 super market on victoria and 33. cheaper than tnt and yohan
Yah those ones. Do they sell a variety there? or just one kind?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66622...ip-coffee.html

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Any of the Vietnamese markets along Kingsway will have it.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
I got a couple at the household goods store in Parker Place... that was at least 10 years ago though, don't know if it still exists.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
obligatory

Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
^^ there was like 2 to choose from I think at like 88 supermarket. If I remember correct it was more or less around $5, tnt and yohan was like $7-8
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

So I picked one up the other day, and brewed my first cup at home. Is it just me or does the coffee taste better from a vietnamese coffee filter than your standard coffeemakers with a carafe?

I notice that it's alot smoother and has more body.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
So I picked one up the other day, and brewed my first cup at home. Is it just me or does the coffee taste better from a vietnamese coffee filter than your standard coffeemakers with a carafe?

I notice that it's alot smoother and has more body.
Vietnamese coffee is a blend of different Arabica and Robusta beans, roasted to a "French" or "Full City" roast. The idea behind this is to give the coffee a darker, smoother flavour as a majority of the physical and chemical properties have been cooked during the roasting process. In addition to that, Vietnamese coffees have different spices in them (cloves, cinammon, nutmeg etc.) to give it that flavour you don't get in normal coffees.

Now, with the Vietnamese drip filter, you're taking a small dosage of coffee and letting it extract in a metal tin with boiling water at a theoretical 100 degrees C. What this comes down to is your coffee, heat to water ratio. In essence, you're getting an espresso because it's being extracted by gravity. Whereas if you were to brew this coffee using a normal coffee maker, your coffee to water ratio is off (over extracting) and you get the bitter, charred, acidic taste. Once it's brewed and sitting on a heated carafe, it tastes even worse because you're maintaining that heat and flavour profile.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

I actually didn't use a French Roast. I tried it with a different dark blend called Organic Peru from Continental Coffee. I used the same amount of grinded coffee that I would usually brew for 2 cups with the Vietnamese Coffee drip filter and it tasted way better than your standard coffee maker.

I think I will stick to that from now on.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Quote:
I actually didn't use a French Roast. I tried it with a different dark blend called Organic Peru from Continental Coffee. I used the same amount of grinded coffee that I would usually brew for 2 cups with the Vietnamese Coffee drip filter and it tasted way better than your standard coffee maker.

I think I will stick to that from now on.
French roast = Dark roast.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #13

Viet coffee = lots of robusta beans (but not 100% afaik), dark roast.

Best blend I've found is Lavazza Crema e Gusto. It's 30% robusta 70% arabica IIRC

Also it's very important to use the right condensed milk. DO NOT USE "FILLED" MILK. They take out the delicious and more healthy milk fat (which is where milk gets its creamy taste from), and replace it with disgusting vegetable oil. Read the ingredients, there should be milk, sugar, and pretty much nothing else. If you see any vegetable oil added, find something else.

I don't know about Canada but in HK you can get Eagle Brand which is owned by Carnation. They sell BOTH TYPES so make sure to get the right one. Whatever you do, don't buy "Longevity" brand with the old chinese guy on it. Disgusting. Most "guides" you find online will recommend this stuff, but they are wrong.

If you like it cold, I like to brew it into a glass of ice. This way, you don't have to add as much ice, which dilutes the coffee. Add the milk after.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

sooo ...does this potentially mean espresso at home without an espresso maker?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
RS Veteran

^
I won't go into the history of espresso machines but fundamentally speaking, yes. (More so a combination of a French press and espresso machine.)

As coffee snobs like to joke about Vietnamese coffee, it's the poor man's espresso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Best blend I've found is Lavazza Crema e Gusto. It's 30% robusta 70% arabica IIRC
It's actually 30% Arabica and 30% robusta. Arabica beans are highly favoured over robusta in terms of flavour profiling. Lavazza Crema e Gusto is some of THE WORST coffees you can ever have, despite its glamorous packaging. It is nowhere near a dark roast and its claim for its "crema" is non-sense.

Taste is subjective and of personal opinion so I will leave it at that and respect it as such.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
thanks! i was looking for this information as well!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

I think it's best made with real Vietnamese coffee. I can never seem to find any in Victoria.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
I won't go into the history of espresso machines but fundamentally speaking, yes. (More so a combination of a French press and espresso machine.)

As coffee snobs like to joke about Vietnamese coffee, it's the poor man's espresso.

It's actually 30% Arabica and 30% robusta. Arabica beans are highly favoured over robusta in terms of flavour profiling. Lavazza Crema e Gusto is some of THE WORST coffees you can ever have, despite its glamorous packaging. It is nowhere near a dark roast and its claim for its "crema" is non-sense.

Taste is subjective and of personal opinion so I will leave it at that and respect it as such.
I wasn't aware that you can use Espresso blend as well. I will try it with that.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^

Yes I'm sure as a mainstream brand there is a lot of advocacy against it. For instance how can something be 30/30? What about the other 40?

Arabica might be 'highly favoured in flavor profiling' but that is subjective. We're talking about viet coffee here, not high end hoity toity espresso. In this case, the strong taste of robusta should be 'highly favored' over being against a brand for whatever reason.

And crema is irrelevant, we're talking drip coffee here...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Sorry, typo on my part. 70% robusta.

I don't know what Lavazza's Crema e Gusto or crema in general has to do with anything on the topic of Vietnamese coffee. Coffee shouldn't have to taste bad. And nobody deserves to be subjected to drinking God awful coffee unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Quote:
I wasn't aware that you can use Espresso blend as well. I will try it with that.
You have to be careful as different shops use the term "espresso roast" interchangeably.

Shops like Starbucks refer to an espresso roast as a dark or French roast. You get that bold, smooth flavour whereas a specialty coffee shop's definition of an espresso roast is a blend of Brazilian, African and Central American beans which in turn could yield a sweet or tarty/acidic flavour profile.

If you're feeling adventurous, stop by Vincent Gentile's roasting facility (Casa Del Caffe) on E. Cordova and ask for his Espresso Roma or Colosseum blend. One of my most favourite dark, Southern Italian espresso roasts and a good alternative to Vietnamese coffee blends. he roasts fresh coffee every Thursday!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

wow.. lots of coffee connoisseurs here. I just use Cafe du monde and it tastes just fine lol.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
If you have friends or family traveling to Vietnam, just tell them to pick up a whole bunch of them like I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

went to 88 supermarket on victoria bought the coffee maker and it's $6.50 plus tax, gonna experiment with the blends as mentioned above
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
wow.. lots of coffee connoisseurs here. I just use Cafe du monde and it tastes just fine lol.
connoisseurs don't base their opinions solely on brand name and bean type
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
connoisseurs don't base their opinions solely on brand name and bean type
What do they base it on?