REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   To anyone that thinks that the BC Film Industry is asking for a free ride. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679539-anyone-thinks-bc-film-industry-asking-free-ride.html)

schw4 01-23-2013 12:34 PM

test

test

Redlines_Daily 01-23-2013 01:08 PM

Based purely on math, considering the amount of money film brings to BC, it seems to make sense to offer tax breaks to ensure that revenue stream.

However, based on my own set of ethics I feel the film industry is purely entertainment and profit based, and I hate the lobbying efforts made by this industry regarding modern copyright laws. Other industries that receive tax incentives at least offer some kind of essential resource (oil, coal, lumber, etc..). So it pisses me off to further the profiteering of these film execs.

Based on emotion, I say 'fuck em', let them take their shitty industry elsewhere. However, logic tells me this is a good decision for the economy of BC. Good thing I'm not on the decision making board :p

StylinRed 01-23-2013 01:20 PM

the only news ive seen lately is the media and commentary hating on Christy Clark for not matching Ontario on tax incentives/subsidies and instead spending $11million on a second rate Indian Film Awards show (not the "oscars" of bollywood that she was hoping for)

Great68 01-23-2013 01:28 PM

When the BC film industry was booming, the US dollar was worth $1.40 CAD..

With the Canadian dollar at par again, OF COURSE the US film markets are going to become more competitive again and work will migrate back stateside.

melloman 01-23-2013 01:32 PM

@Stylin: That is exactly what I'm abit pissed off about.

Christy Clark voiced her opinion LOUD & CLEAR about not giving any incentives to the film industry... yet not even a week later she tells us she is handing out $11 million to a mediocre Indian Film Awards.

This will essentially take away a MASSIVE chunk of revenue from BC and eventually Christy Clark will just raise our goddamn taxes more to cover her stupid decisions.

We already lost the cruise ship industry here, why are we pushing away MORE tourists and their money?

MoBettah 01-23-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schw4 (Post 8140138)
-That combined with digital media- vfx, post-production and gaming, we are a $4 billion dollar industry annually- which is on par with tourism, and oil & gas & forestry & mining combined[/url]

I actually support subsidies for the BC film industry and agree that it might be necessary due to the re implementation of the PST, however this point is way off basis. 4 billion dollars ain't shit in oil gas and mining. A single project can run that much. If LNG gets fully approved along with Northern Gateway, it would turn Oil & Gas into a 1/4 trillion dollar industry annually.

falcon 01-23-2013 02:11 PM

Having worked in the film industry for a number of years, I've noticed as more and more places become "film friendly" like in the Middle East, Europe and Eastern Canada we have been getting less and less productions here in BC. When I first started we were seeing 20+ tv shows being filmed at once and 3-4 features at a time. Now we're lucky to see 5 tv shows and one big feature and maybe a movie of the week here and there. I really hope they up the tax break because it creates a TON more jobs than people think. It's not just actors/producers making money. There are thousands of extras, set construction, locations crews, film crews, post production crews, etc. etc.

falcon 01-23-2013 02:14 PM

I laughed so hard at the Indian Music Awards thing and some brown guy saying "we bring like 600 people in to run this.". Well 600 people/11 Million $ doesn't do right in my books. They showed a shot of Christy Crunch accepting some award at another Indian thing and the seats were less than half full.

She is also trying to get some big Bollywood feature filmed here... give me a freaking break. We are Hollywood North, Not Bollywood West.

Culverin 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

Fringe

Tron

Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe

Battlestar Galactica

Andromeda

Transformers Beast: Wars

Smallville

Sliders

Reboot

The X-Files

The Outer Limits

I'm kinda ok with subsidies, because it puts us on the map.
Brings in tourism.

The film industry is a big one for us and there is a lot of trickle-down economics happening because of it.
It's not just the filming, it's also the support services.
Take a look around the Bridge Studios area just off Boundary/Lougheed.
There are business that handle props, lighting, car rentals, catering.

falcon 01-23-2013 05:07 PM

The Watchmen
They Day the Earth Stood Still
Hot Rod

just to name a few more.... The Watchmen was a 500 Million dollar budget and 2012 wasn't that far behind.