REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

test

test
Advertisement

Last edited by schw4; 08-23-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: test
schw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Based purely on math, considering the amount of money film brings to BC, it seems to make sense to offer tax breaks to ensure that revenue stream.

However, based on my own set of ethics I feel the film industry is purely entertainment and profit based, and I hate the lobbying efforts made by this industry regarding modern copyright laws. Other industries that receive tax incentives at least offer some kind of essential resource (oil, coal, lumber, etc..). So it pisses me off to further the profiteering of these film execs.

Based on emotion, I say 'fuck em', let them take their shitty industry elsewhere. However, logic tells me this is a good decision for the economy of BC. Good thing I'm not on the decision making board
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
the only news ive seen lately is the media and commentary hating on Christy Clark for not matching Ontario on tax incentives/subsidies and instead spending $11million on a second rate Indian Film Awards show (not the "oscars" of bollywood that she was hoping for)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
When the BC film industry was booming, the US dollar was worth $1.40 CAD..

With the Canadian dollar at par again, OF COURSE the US film markets are going to become more competitive again and work will migrate back stateside.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
@Stylin: That is exactly what I'm abit pissed off about.

Christy Clark voiced her opinion LOUD & CLEAR about not giving any incentives to the film industry... yet not even a week later she tells us she is handing out $11 million to a mediocre Indian Film Awards.

This will essentially take away a MASSIVE chunk of revenue from BC and eventually Christy Clark will just raise our goddamn taxes more to cover her stupid decisions.

We already lost the cruise ship industry here, why are we pushing away MORE tourists and their money?
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schw4 View Post
-That combined with digital media- vfx, post-production and gaming, we are a $4 billion dollar industry annually- which is on par with tourism, and oil & gas & forestry & mining combined[/url]

I actually support subsidies for the BC film industry and agree that it might be necessary due to the re implementation of the PST, however this point is way off basis. 4 billion dollars ain't shit in oil gas and mining. A single project can run that much. If LNG gets fully approved along with Northern Gateway, it would turn Oil & Gas into a 1/4 trillion dollar industry annually.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Having worked in the film industry for a number of years, I've noticed as more and more places become "film friendly" like in the Middle East, Europe and Eastern Canada we have been getting less and less productions here in BC. When I first started we were seeing 20+ tv shows being filmed at once and 3-4 features at a time. Now we're lucky to see 5 tv shows and one big feature and maybe a movie of the week here and there. I really hope they up the tax break because it creates a TON more jobs than people think. It's not just actors/producers making money. There are thousands of extras, set construction, locations crews, film crews, post production crews, etc. etc.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

I laughed so hard at the Indian Music Awards thing and some brown guy saying "we bring like 600 people in to run this.". Well 600 people/11 Million $ doesn't do right in my books. They showed a shot of Christy Crunch accepting some award at another Indian thing and the seats were less than half full.

She is also trying to get some big Bollywood feature filmed here... give me a freaking break. We are Hollywood North, Not Bollywood West.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Fringe

Tron

Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe

Battlestar Galactica

Andromeda

Transformers Beast: Wars

Smallville

Sliders

Reboot

The X-Files

The Outer Limits

I'm kinda ok with subsidies, because it puts us on the map.
Brings in tourism.

The film industry is a big one for us and there is a lot of trickle-down economics happening because of it.
It's not just the filming, it's also the support services.
Take a look around the Bridge Studios area just off Boundary/Lougheed.
There are business that handle props, lighting, car rentals, catering.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #10

The Watchmen
They Day the Earth Stood Still
Hot Rod

just to name a few more.... The Watchmen was a 500 Million dollar budget and 2012 wasn't that far behind.