REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

BMW SMG 1st Gear "Studder"

Basically I got the same problem as everyone in this thread:
SMG 1st Gear Shudder - Solved - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

I thread through the whole thread and saw like 10 different solutions from chainging tire pressure to a full clutch replacement.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm pretty confused upon what to do to fix it. I'm leaning towards changing my fuel pump..

E46 M3 Fuel Pump - Turner Motorsport

"A fuel pump failure in the E46M3 can cause lack of power and a low-RPM stumble. Its a fairly common problem, the problem fades away as the revs build and the engine warms up. It's especially noticeable in the Winter and when the outside temperature is low. While a number of things can cause this, you should first change the fuel filter (especially if it's been over 30,000 miles. The fuel pump is another likely source of the trouble. The pump is easy to change by accessing the top of the fuel tank under the backseat. This is a new factory BMW fuel pump."

OR

SMG RECALIBRATION <- Anyone done this?

It's really bad when the "studder" kicks in while going uphill. If you have experienced this in your M, please provide details on how you fixed it! Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by Happy; 01-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Did you ever figure out this issue? It happens to me once in a while, not very often.
Or does anybody else have this issue as well?
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

It's definitely not your fuel-pump. When that goes in the e46M you'll first notice a serious lack of acceleration in your car (worse than limp mode), followed by your car not starting.

Try these things out, in this order, and it should fix your problem:

1. SMG calibration. Really easy to do, takes no time or tools, and is free.
2. Replace your flex disc, aka the guibo. Costs ~$125 IIRC + labor, which is about an hour install. While they're down there, replace the driveshaft bolts as well.

Either way, don't worry about it so much. It's either a free fix or an inexpensive one. Usually when I get the 1st gear shudder I just do an SMG reset and it's fine for months, though I am considering replacing my guibo during my next scheduled maintenance interval just because.
AlpineEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote