REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #151
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
There's always an element of risk in life. I know a guy who was nearly killed when his girlfriend's ex got out of prison and found him. The ex had been broken up with the convict for like 10 years before he stalked dude and kicked his ass.

I have some level of guard up, always!
No one said that there wasn't any risk in life, but to be assaulted/caused bodily harm on 2 occasions (death on the second), is not common, at all. It isn't healthy, nor is it necessary for regular, honest people, to live their lives in paranoia, thinking everyone around them has the capacity to "throw a sword at their neck".
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #152
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,807 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
These days everyone has their guard up to a certain extent. Women walking alone at night, night out at the bar, sketchy areas - normal people exercise caution.

If the victim had his guard up this would not have happened, if anything his guard was down.

The thing is there are way too many psychos out there these days. Step on someones toes even slightly and you can't predict what is going to happen. It is better to avoid it if you can.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
No one said that there wasn't any risk in life, but to be assaulted/caused bodily harm on 2 occasions (death on the second), is not common, at all. It isn't healthy, nor is it necessary for regular, honest people, to live their lives in paranoia, thinking everyone around them has the capacity to "throw a sword at their neck".
agreed with Blue. Obviously women have to keep an eye out for sex offenders when they are out and about.

why would anyone without gang affiliation need to worry about getting whacked? Even if you live an honest legitmate life ...don't step on people's toes in the first place. Being cautious about someone robbing your valuables is different than stressing out about getting gunned down.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #153
Rs has made me the man i am today!

/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-03-2017 at 02:37 PM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #154
N8
I STILL don't get it

Doesnt matter if we think the guy put himself at risk or not, through snitching or just hanging with the wrong crew at the wrong place/time. Dude didn't deserve to die... RIP
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #155
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

too many kids these days think they are untouchable. If this kid survived this attack i could imagine him braggin to his friends about how untouchable is after surviving two attacks.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #156
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
too many kids these days think they are untouchable. If this kid survived this attack i could imagine him braggin to his friends about how untouchable is after surviving two attacks.
I've actually met/know quite a few people who are like this. Now, you'd think that most of these kids would have some senses in them to realize they shouldn't be doing what they're doing, or else it'll lead to situations like this.. Unfortunately, not. Majority of them just stay the same, or even worst.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #157

[///

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-03-2017 at 02:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #158
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

With all due respect though, its bad when parents lose their child, but lets face it. There are a lot of kids in high school who try to act tough and act like their built to run in the black market and dont know what their getting into. Then when its too late where someone decided they are next on the food chain it was all "he was such a good kid I cant think of anyone that would want to do this". Too many parents don't know what their kids are getting into until its too late. If you screwed up you gotta face someone down the line isnt going to be happy.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #159

/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-03-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #160
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

play with fire, your gonna get burned

knew someone that was has known this guy since elementary school, told him he was lucky they aren't friends anymore cause it could have been him that was killed
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #161
Not a mod

^ lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #162
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
good one
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #163
Banned (ABWS)

sad to hear, but at the same time very shocking. very shocking cuz these people are around my age group and its honestly fukked that this type of stuff happens, especially in my neighbourhood
gunz4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #164
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
so i have a question... it's to do with the law...

if i am a gun owner, and i happen to live nearby or be coming home from the range....

and i see a bunch of people chasing someone with deadly weapons (swords knives etc).

i am allowed to defend the victim right? if they are about to cause harm to him that could be potentially life threatening... I am allowed to shoot... am i not?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #165
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
I wouldn't do it
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #166
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
so i have a question... it's to do with the law...

if i am a gun owner, and i happen to live nearby or be coming home from the range....

and i see a bunch of people chasing someone with deadly weapons (swords knives etc).

i am allowed to defend the victim right? if they are about to cause harm to him that could be potentially life threatening... I am allowed to shoot... am i not?
i bet ur not allowed. its canada; u get in shit for harming a home invader -.-
if incidents like it was allowed it would promote gun ownership on a street level and such. also if u held an attacker at gunpoint, when the police comes, they'll probably shoot u down. lol
(this is all speculation)
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #167
I keep RS good

you get hammered for harming a home invader.

but you wouldn't get hammered if he had a gun and had intent to shoot you, or he had a knife and was coming at you with it.

same goes for if he was pointing a gun at someone else or charging someone else with a knife. you can shoot them.

so why not on the streets? im sure the same law applies.

u can do it if life is in IMMEDIATE danger.. they have to have a deadly weapon as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #168
Banned By Establishment

you cant do shit cause its not your life in danger. Plus the weapon of the other party must be the same force as you.
It's not like the US where the castle law is much more generous.

you'll probably get attempted murder and firearm charges.

Sad as it may be, I've read too many reports of good samaritans getting sued/charged for helping. Best you can do is call 911, not worth the liability
payrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #169
I keep RS good

someone else's life is in immediate danger.
as long as a life is in danger, you have the right to stop it with equal force i believe.

it has to be immediate. like the guy cant be standing 20 feet away with a knife. he has to be within swinging range.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #170
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
No, with reasonable force.

I'm 6' tall, about 165lbs (very little of it muscle), and have had no self defence training previously. If someone is coming at me and is 6'4 and 240lbs my natural tendency would be to grab a bat or a bar or something and hit him as he approached me.

Now, if I were to hit him once, I would then have to give him the opportunity to stop/retreat. This is typically what the court would consider 'reasonable'. Hit someone, show them you can defend yourself, and expect them to back off because of that. But let's be honest: adrenaline is pumping, I'm freaked the fuck out, I hit him once and then again and again until he's moaning and the next step above a pulp on the ground. Then I call the cops and an ambulance.

And then I get arrested for assault. Because I was being threatened and ensured that he couldn't hurt me. Which is more than what the courts would consider reasonable force.

You are not allowed to reply with 'equal' force. The courts don't follow the golden rule (do unto him before he can do unto you), they follow the rule of "do the absolute least you can to hurt the guy who's trying to fuck you up".
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #171
Banned By Establishment

theres too many variables which don't go in your favour. Also Depends a lot on the cop/jury/judge

Evil but remember, shoot to kill. No contradicting witness, no lawsuit.
payrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #172
I keep RS good

so if i see someone that is being charged with a knife... and he's swinging but missing, i am not allowed to shoot him once to stop him?

what if he's stabbed the guy once, and he keeps going at it. and u know he's going to end up killing him...

reasonable force... its reasonable. he has a knife, and is going to KILL the guy.
i have a gun. i don't have a knife. or anything else. i think it's justified that i can shoot the attacker ONCE. or at least fire a warning shot, and if he doesnt stop, then i can shoot him.. until he stops trying to stab the guy/drops the knife...

that's reasonable is it not?

it's the same as if someone had a gun, and was POINTING it at someone... that's enough to justify someone else shooting him.

the logic is... once they have a deadly weapon (deadly as in they can use it, ie. within range). it doesn't matter how big they are. it is deadly.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #173
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
You're not defending yourself. You may (MAY) get away with firing a warning shot or something similar, but you're also setting yourself up for careless discharge of a firearm (where were you aiming? How could you be sure that you wouldn't hit something?) But the laws for defending other people are not the same as those for defending yourself. IANAL but as far as I know, you would essentially be charged with assault stemming from an initial incident. If a person is aiming a gun at you and you have a reasonable belief that they are going to shoot you, then you have a right to defend yourself. You do not get a double-0 license for that individual. You get to defend yourself. Which means (according to Canadian Law), 'reasonable force' which would mean wounding the dude.

If he died and you were defending yourself, you could claim self-defence. If he died and he was chasing some other dude, you would be charged with murder.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #174
I keep RS good

whatttt does someone who actually knows reply?

I remember taking criminal justice and they taught us defending someone else who is defenceless would be the same thing as defending yourself.

reasonable force is until the guy stops. if you only have a gun, reasonable force is just shooting. it doesn't matter the aftermath if he dies or if he's wounded. u cannot control that.

lol for all those little things like careless discharge.. etc. that's easy to avoid. just shoot into the grass ground. etc. those are little things that you can easily get away with.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #175
HELP ME PLS!!!

This is my speculation. I'm not a lawyer.

If you think you'll die, you can use whatever force is required to defend yourself.

If you think you won't die, you can use as much force as they have.

So let's say you went to defend him, but the crowd started targeting you, you pull the gun, I doubt they'll keep running at you.

Let's say that they've got a gun too and it escalates, you panick and fire first, and kill. I have no idea what would happen. Maybe 2nd degree? That's probably what you'd end up with.