REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Star Wars, Disney style. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679602-star-wars-disney-style.html)

Soundy 01-24-2013 06:52 PM

Star Wars, Disney style.

Figured this needed a thread, now that a certain bit of information has come to light....

The Force Is With J.J. Abrams - Director To Helm First Disney 'Star Wars' Film - Forbes

CRS 01-24-2013 07:03 PM

J. J. Abrams?

:notbad:

GLOW 01-24-2013 07:03 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...p7hto1_500.jpg

StylinRed 01-24-2013 07:53 PM

the whole idea that JJ Abrams is going to direct this makes me worried that this will just be a Lens Flared Explosion Fest that won't do justice to the story from the original trilogy

Id rather they give it to Michael Bay because at least that way we'll get a lot of hot chicks in the film along with the explosions and lens flares

kwy 01-24-2013 08:13 PM

Michael Bay can go fuck himself. JJ Abrams is the best choice for sci fi imo.

twitchyzero 01-24-2013 08:25 PM

JJ Abrams movies :considered:

JJ Abrams television series :denied:

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8141448)
J. J. Abrams?

:notbad:

More like :awwyeah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8141488)

Id rather they give it to Michael Bay because at least that way we'll get a lot of hot chicks in the film along with the explosions and lens flares

You have got to be kidding. Michael Bay is quite literally the WORST possible director they could have chosen. Well maybe he'd be better than Uwe Boll but that's about it.

Best choice of all IMO would be Joss Whedon

RacePace 01-24-2013 08:49 PM

http://i.minus.com/ibhPbrnZLNPpyQ.gif

Soundy 01-24-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8141542)
You have got to be kidding. Michael Bay is quite literally the WORST possible director they could have chosen. Well maybe he'd be better than Uwe Boll but that's about it.

Ang Lee? :failed:

Quote:

:fullofwin:

Soundy 01-24-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8141516)
JJ Abrams television series :denied:

:fuckthatshit: Person of Interest owns.

twitchyzero 01-24-2013 09:20 PM

haven't watched that but I lost count of how many of his shows end up involving time travel and/or an alternate universe.

StylinRed 01-24-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

More like :awwyeah:

i am, it's exactly my point, Abrams and Bay are the same except with Bay he'll put in half naked models

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacePace (Post 8141551)

i'd thank you a dozen more times if i could :fullofwin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8141560)
:fuckthatshit: Person of Interest owns.

he just produces it though

death_blossom 01-24-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

it's hard to say who would be the best choice is, but Joss Whedon would definitely be up there. I think JJ Abrams is an excellent choice. he always finds ways to put intricate story pieces together and make existing ideas/stories feel fresh.

kwy 01-24-2013 11:04 PM

Forgot about Whedon, he's pretty good too. Star Trek really sold me on JJ Abrams though. If they go with different directors for each movie they should try to lock in Whedon for one of them.

iwantaskyline 01-25-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8141608)
i am, it's exactly my point, Abrams and Bay are the same except with Bay he'll put in half naked models

i'd thank you a dozen more times if i could :fullofwin:

he just produces it though

Wow really...you're saying Abrams and Bay are the same? :badpokerface:

StylinRed 01-25-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8141753)
Wow really...you're saying Abrams and Bay are the same? :badpokerface:

lol their styles are the same, lens flares, explosions, and weak stories; except you could say Bay has weaker stories + hotter chicks (im speaking of films he's directed btw)

although i quite liked Super 8, it was filled with lens flares and the story, while i enjoyed it, wasn't amazing/unique

Ulic Qel-Droma 01-25-2013 01:22 AM

you guys forget the director is only part of the movie.

there are the people that write the script too.

the cinematographer.

and a shit load of other things.

right now it's just like captain america transferring from the avengers over to the Xmen.... or whatever.
he's just a part of a whole.

and i can assure you, disney will make sure he keeps in line. they wont risk the entire franchise on one man's ego, if he so chooses to spin things his way. especially the biggest movie franchise ever.

lots of money on the line man. talking multi billions.

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8141765)
lol their styles are the same, lens flares, explosions, and weak stories; except you could say Bay has weaker stories + hotter chicks (im speaking of films he's directed btw)

although i quite liked Super 8, it was filled with lens flares and the story, while i enjoyed it, wasn't amazing/unique

:fulloffuck: seriously

If you dislike their work equally that is one thing. But to think that they are similar? What the fuck?!

sonick 01-25-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8141505)
Michael Bay can go fuck himself. JJ Abrams is the best choice for sci fi imo.

Joss Whedon would do pretty good too.

Lomac 01-25-2013 09:13 AM

I'll believe it when an official announcement is made. Right now its all speculation. Disney is keeping a tight lid on everything.

StylinRed 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8141853)
:fulloffuck: seriously

If you dislike their work equally that is one thing. But to think that they are similar? What the fuck?!

they are similar that's the thing though and ive described how already

Graeme S 01-25-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8142108)
they are similar that's the thing though and ive described how already

Star Trek and Transformers were both reboots helmed by Bay and Abrams. Fans new and old loved Star Trek. Fans new and old were at best yeah-I-guess-it's-not-bad-ed with Transformers.

Bay uses the story for the sake of explosions. Abrams puts explosions in his story.

Majestic12 01-25-2013 07:18 PM

Bay would have been a terrible choice. Disney would have been idiots to consider him. Bay makes popcorn movies meant for 14 year old boys. I mean, he's got his niche, and good for him for doing it well, but it definitely would have been a poor choice for SW, because Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon.

StylinRed 01-25-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8141937)
I'll believe it when an official announcement is made. Right now its all speculation. Disney is keeping a tight lid on everything.

it's official

Quote:

Disney has issued an official press release confirming filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Star Trek Into Darkness, Super 8) will direct the highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII, from a script written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3).

The press release reads as follows:

Quote:

J.J. Abrams will direct 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on 'The Empire Strikes Back,' 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and 'Return of the Jedi.' Kinberg was writer on 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith.'

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as 'Star Trek,' 'Super 8,' 'Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol,' and this year's 'Star Trek Into Darkness.' Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with 'Mission: Impossible III.' He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as 'Felicity,' 'Alias,' 'Lost' and 'Fringe.'

Disney Officially Confirms J.J. Abrams for Star Wars: Episode VII

The screenwriter is fairly new too but little miss sunshine was good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8142385)
Star Trek and Transformers were both reboots helmed by Bay and Abrams. Fans new and old loved Star Trek. Fans new and old were at best yeah-I-guess-it's-not-bad-ed with Transformers.

Bay uses the story for the sake of explosions. Abrams puts explosions in his story.

old? eh disputable, n let's not forget all the lens flares :)

ill admit between the 2 Abrams has a much better chance of churning out a good movie compared with Bay but still wish someone else got it :/

death_blossom 01-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8142633)
ill admit between the 2 Abrams has a much better chance of churning out a good movie compared with Bay but still wish someone else got it :/

any ideas on who else could have taken on the role? I think for the new Star Wars sequels to become successful, you need someone "geeky" to know the Star Wars lore to not screw up the world that George Lucas created. a director that won't get geeky would probably do things in his own way and screw things up.

good example is Michael Bay and Transformers. he tried to geek out and learn about Transformers, but ultimately he still did his own thing and just sprinkled some old school G1 references into the movies.