REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Landlord not giving security deposit back?

It has recently come to my attention that my brother did not receive his security deposit back after several attempts of conntacting the owner?landlord?(sorry i have little knowledge on the whole rent/tenant process) responsible for Eventually, the 'person' changed phone numbers and my brother just kind of let it be. He moved out in July 2012.

However, i cannot see to it douches get away with this kind of stuff.

Is it still possible to get it back? Get the new number from the person living their currently? It was $600 deposit.

what can i 'arm' myself with??

Thanks.
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
I don't get it

8 months later? I am speechless lol... RS beat down crew? Anyone? Cmooon lol
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
If you have the landlords contact info (most importantly, their address) you can go to the Tenancy Branch and file to get twice the amount back.

Landlords are required to send the tenant back the security deposit within 15 days of turning over the keys AND leaving a forwarding address (if sent in the mail the envelope must me post marked within 15 days). If it is not, the tenant has the right to double the amount.

The ONLY way a landlord can keep the deposit:
- The tenant has acknowledged damage or that the apt is not clean and has given permission IN WRITING for the landlord to keep any or all of the deposit.
- The tenant never gave a forwarding address
- The landlord applied with the branch to keep the deposit.

Even if the landlord would like to keep part of all of the deposit for unpaid rent or utilities or damage, etc. the landlord still needs to file to keep with with the tenancy branch UNLESS the tenant allows him\her to IN WRITING.

Is there a reason they gave for not returning the deposit? did you bro give them his forwarding address?

IF you bro gave them forwarding address and did not sign anything that allowed them to keep the deposit, he is owed $1200.00.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
If you have the landlords contact info (most importantly, their address) you can go to the Tenancy Branch and file to get twice the amount back.

Landlords are required to send the tenant back the security deposit within 15 days of turning over the keys AND leaving a forwarding address (if sent in the mail the envelope must me post marked within 15 days). If it is not, the tenant has the right to double the amount.

The ONLY way a landlord can keep the deposit:
- The tenant has acknowledged damage or that the apt is not clean and has given permission IN WRITING for the landlord to keep any or all of the deposit.
- The tenant never gave a forwarding address
- The landlord applied with the branch to keep the deposit.

Even if the landlord would like to keep part of all of the deposit for unpaid rent or utilities or damage, etc. the landlord still needs to file to keep with with the tenancy branch UNLESS the tenant allows him\her to IN WRITING.

Is there a reason they gave for not returning the deposit? did you bro give them his forwarding address?

IF you bro gave them forwarding address and did not sign anything that allowed them to keep the deposit, he is owed $1200.00.
I will ask my brother about the forwarding address. But cant the landlord just deny that my brother gave him a forwarding address? And if my brother didnt, it would've been kinda hard to considering that the landlord changed his phone number (im guessing in attempts to ignore my brother [after many requests of the deposit back unanswered] )

I will post exact details later tonight. Thanks.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Well, it can be difficult to prove most things....thats why there us a judge to make the call. It is basically the landlord's word against your brother's. I think that fact that your brother made attempt after attempt to try and get the deposit will help his case.

Technically, when someone moves out and hands back the keys and does the move-out inspection, that is the time to give the forwarding address. That way, if there are any fees charged, etc it can be discussed then.

It is worth the fight anyways, I think. It will be the responsibility of the landlord to prove he gave the deposit back (if that is what he claims) by providing a withdrawal receipt of cheque.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
in teh real world, i would say you would almost kiss it goodbye.

if at the end of the day my landlord didn't give me my $750 back, i wouldn't be too worried... he probably will, we have a good relationship, but i know i'm paying way under market for my place, and i don't take that good of a care of the place (i don't do really good cleans of the place like i would if it were my own... wear and tear doesn't get fixed, etc.) - but sounds like this guy is just a douche, sorry to hear
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Definitely go after the landlord through the tenancy branch. I had a feeling my last landlord wouldn't return my dd cause she was crazy. I gave her my forwarding address when I moved out. She straight up kept my damage deposit. I went to the access centre filed the forms and after a phone conference she had to pay me $1200. Best feeling ever getting that cheque after she acted like a bitch to me so many times and called me stupid haha.
whitehcr32gtst is offline   Reply With Quote