REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Taking f*cking the dog to a new level. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679818-taking-f%2Acking-dog-new-level.html)

quasi 01-30-2013 05:26 AM

Taking f*cking the dog to a new level.

We've all heard the jokes about what dog fuckers unionized city workers are, 4 men watching 1 man digging ect..... Well apparently there are places in Canada where it really isn't to far off.

29 Hamilton city workers sacked for 'inappropriate behaviour' | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Hamilton, Ont., fired 29 road repair workers over allegations they weren't doing their jobs, a city official said.

The city sacked 29 workers and suspended two more for "neglect of duties, time theft and/or breach of trust."

City manager Chris Murray said the city launched an investigation when staffers realized potholes were not being filled.

The city analyzed GPS tracking records from municipal vehicles and hired private investigators last October to follow some of the employees. The

surveillance indicated that the workers were visiting coffee shops, running errands or just sitting at home instead of doing their jobs.

Murray said the workers were fired out of respect for taxpayers.

"We have an infrastructure problem here in Hamilton," he said, "so we take very seriously how we maintain our roads, and when you don't, then you incur capital costs that you might otherwise expect."

"The inappropriate behaviour of this group of employees is very disappointing, but it is not reflective of all public works staff," said Gerry Davis, the public works general manager.

Murray said the city has been "in communication" with police over a possible theft, but no charges have been laid.

"We're gonna cross that bridge when we get to it," he said.

The city is also investigating the fired workers' supervisors.

"They had certainly oversight over what the crews were expected to do each day and ensure that that work was getting done."

The workers' union, CUPE 5167, vowed to "represent the investigated workers to ensure due process is followed."

Soundy 01-30-2013 06:32 AM

And for some reason, the one thing that jumped out at me was...

"...we take very seriously how we maintain our roads, and when you don't, then you incur capital costs that you might otherwise expect."

:fulloffuck:

toyobaru 01-30-2013 07:30 AM

I was driving down on Venables and across that park near the gelato parlour i saw 6 City of Vancouver construction workers. 2 of them doing actual work and the other 4 just chilling and chat chatting. What a bunch of garbage, but it makes me wish I was working for the city.

CRS 01-30-2013 07:43 AM

Wow, I entered this thread expecting the wrong thing.

I thought it was going to be some crazy bestiality group.

604STIG 01-30-2013 07:59 AM

We need this sort of action taken out here, sometimes if baffles me as to how long it takes to complete a street repair job once a crew starts.

VR6GTI 01-30-2013 08:14 AM

City of burnaby was repairing a sewer drain out side of my work, 2 guys working on the drain and another guy sat in the van sleeping or on the phone from 8-12 they went and had lunch came back worked from 1-3 and the same guy in the van never got out.

Psykopathik 01-30-2013 08:25 AM

there are some regulations regarding safety which require one or two guys to sit on their asses watching out, but i think usually that's not the case.

also if a private contractor does the work, he may quote the city for X amount of time to finish the job. finishing faster doesn't mean more $

when i worked at the Vancouver trade and convention center, it was like that. Finish the job and fuck off for the rest of the day. Finish in 1 hour? get 7 hrs paid free time. of course it was never 7 hrs but you get the idea. we actually worked like hell so it seemed more like we were getting paid to do shit.

Spidey 01-30-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyobaru (Post 8146200)
I was driving down on Venables and across that park near the gelato parlour i saw 6 City of Vancouver construction workers. 2 of them doing actual work and the other 4 just chilling and chat chatting. What a bunch of garbage, but it makes me wish I was working for the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8146227)
City of burnaby was repairing a sewer drain out side of my work, 2 guys working on the drain and another guy sat in the van sleeping or on the phone from 8-12 they went and had lunch came back worked from 1-3 and the same guy in the van never got out.

Do you guys know the exact jobs for each individual that you observed? If not, you can't just assume they aren't doing their job. Were you watching them the whole time from 8-12? A lot of people here think city workings are overpaid and underworked. I myself, don't know what their duties are. Sometimes what you perceive isn't fact. Just think about that, before jumping into conclusions.

VR6GTI 01-30-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 8146241)
Do you guys know the exact jobs for each individual that you observed? If not, you can't just assume they aren't doing their job. Were you watching them the whole time from 8-12? A lot of people here think city workings are overpaid and underworked. I myself, don't know what their duties are. Sometimes what you perceive isn't fact. Just think about that, before jumping into conclusions.

No i dont know his exact job.
Yes he was in front of my window the whole time.
I guess his job was "sleeping" since he had his hat tilted over his face to block the sun that was interrupting his "work" :badpokerface:

Culverin 01-30-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyobaru (Post 8146200)

See, the chatting doesn't bother me.
Consider this in an office situation, you walk over the coworker's desk, with a question or to discuss how to collectively tackle a shared problem.
It's like a mini-meeting and you'd also shoot the shit.
I'm ok with that. It's productive AND necessary to talk and discuss.
It's also necessary to have a bit of social interaction to have a good working relationship.

What bothers me:
  • There is a 10 man construction crew. 2 guys are working, 8 are waiting on the 2 to finish. You're wasting hours.
  • Construction in this city takes forever to get finished. Elsewhere in the world, a sewer replacement would be done within a week.

Prolowtone 01-30-2013 02:30 PM

"There is a 10 man construction crew. 2 guys are working, 8 are waiting on the 2 to finish. You're wasting hours."

That can falls into a whole new category called union laws. If you start doing their work you can be considered as "Stealing work" as it could shorten their work hours or increase yours... yes it is a bit of bs to have that many guys on site watching tho when im sure they could set up for the next task etc

Presto 01-30-2013 02:34 PM

I hope there's enough evidence gathered so the union won't bother defending the slackers.

anti_rice 01-30-2013 02:48 PM

you guys do realize that city workers who do road work have specific tasks they are paid to do. The worker who chews up the old road only does that one specific job, the one who paves, smooths out all have different jobs. so that's why there's always a bunch of people standing around waiting for the job to finish so they can do theirs. There's also first aid attendants on scene that stand around. Then there's also engineers and supervisors.

Prolowtone 01-30-2013 02:56 PM

its not just city workers but yeah, pretty much what i was trying to get at. In this case tho there was some excessive standing around or slacking off

dvst8 01-30-2013 03:20 PM

Love it when shitty road work is done and then ripped apart to be redone soon after.
Posted via RS Mobile

jimmyrustler 01-30-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anti_rice (Post 8146521)
you guys do realize that city workers who do road work have specific tasks they are paid to do. The worker who chews up the old road only does that one specific job, the one who paves, smooths out all have different jobs. so that's why there's always a bunch of people standing around waiting for the job to finish so they can do theirs. There's also first aid attendants on scene that stand around. Then there's also engineers and supervisors.

so much this

strong construction experience ITT

payrent 01-30-2013 04:09 PM

Unions served a purpose back in the days but now with modern labour laws I don't see the point.

NYC and Washington DC want to automate their subway like we do with our skytrain but guess whats stopping them?

Hostess went under, although there was mismanagement, it was the unions that sunk them.

Chrysler factory employees were caught smoking weed on the job and got rehired thanks to unions.

Too many unproductive shitbags who cant get fired and no chance of a young one to be promoted based on merit due to seniority.

Could go on & on. Just a cancer on the company IMO

twitchyzero 01-30-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

no

we have many road-paving experts on RS.

:pokerface:

GabAlmighty 01-30-2013 09:08 PM

I work for the city, besides the politics, I love my job.

Soundy 01-30-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 8146475)
Consider this in an office situation, you walk over the coworker's desk, with a question or to discuss how to collectively tackle a shared problem.
It's also necessary to have a bit of social interaction to have a good working relationship.

What bothers me:
  • There is a 10 man construction crew. 2 guys are working, 8 are waiting on the 2 to finish. You're wasting hours.
  • Construction in this city takes forever to get finished. Elsewhere in the world, a sewer replacement would be done within a week.

Quote:

Having worked in and around various trades over the years, I agree with all of this. If you're not on that specific job, you don't know who's SUPPOSED to be doing what, whether someone IS actually doing something job-related even though they may look like they're not, or whether they have to wait for someone else to finish another job before they can do theirs.

stewie 01-30-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8146227)

im a burnaby city worker.

guy sitting in the van, hes called a foreman, his job is to do the paperwork and to make sure the crews do the job. if hes on the phone, odds are hes talking with city inspectors/superintendents letting them know exact measurements on things regarding the job...how deep the hole is...how wide...if they're using shoring cages...what kind of material are they using to backfill the hole...what kind of fittings are they using...etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 8146475)

What bothers me:

i cant say this for other cities, but burnaby doesnt use 10 man crews, at most...5-6
the 2 guys working are the jr guys, the guys who need to do the work to learn the job. they're the little man on a totem pole.

as for wasting hours. when you've got a hole 6 feet deep, 4 feet wide, you really dont have space to fit 4+ guys in there. would you rather us dig a much bigger hole and take 3x longer(costing tax payers more money) to do the job so were all in there...or the bare minimum of what we need to get the job done?

look at it this way

lets say a sewer job is being done.
workers show up at 7am.
the sewer is 10 feet down.
it'll take 2 hours just to dig it out with a backhoe, and he can only work as fast as the dump truck can drop the material off at the dump site and return empty.
when its dug out, the senior guys go in, take the measurements and tell the jr guys whats needed and how to do it.
jr guys now jump in and do the work, usually the others stay out of the hole, so they can see if the jr guy is actually learning and understanding the job and how to take care of problems on their own if one were to happen.
once done, senior guys double check.
then the backhoe and dump truck start filling in the hole while the workers clean up the road, usually that takes 15 minutes for the crew workers to put the tools away and sweep up the road with a power broom, while the backhoe can take up to 2 hours to finish.
would you rather the workers stand outside watching the back hoe and talking amongst each other? or have them sit in the truck and sleep until they're needed to go back outside?
lets say the holes filled, now they've got to hot patch the road. they cant leave the site without being paved. so they stick around since their construction signs are already up.
paving crew gets there...theres no work for the sewer guys to do...again, sit inside, or talk outside?
paving is finished, tear down the construction signs and leave.

sorry for the long post, but it does get irritating when ppl say city workers are lazy when they've never even done our job.

RouRK 01-30-2013 09:57 PM

im an electrician and i just finished a job downtown for a company.

i was appalled by how little these people do. there had to be 27 or so that work there... they were on fb, twitter all sorts of websites that had nothing to do with work... they would go from cubical to cubical and talk to each other for a hour at a time... on a saturday one girl said she was going for lunch was gone for 3 hours..

it is a IT company...

it happens all over, union/city workers are just easy pickings to complain about.

i wish i had a desk job that paid to much.

and another thing.. they walk around like zombies cause the heat in the place is jacked.. they sit at a desk and do nothing.

bing 01-30-2013 10:16 PM

^except city workers are funded by tax payer dollars and the other is a private company.

Culverin 01-30-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8146939)
im a burnaby city worker.

Ok. Point maken.

BTW, I don't have a beef with Burnaby workers. I've lived in North bby my whole life. Vancouver on the other hand.... :pokerface:

Yeah, the union laws to me is necessary, but from what I've heard, they got a little too much to the extreme.

Re: anti_rice and first aid comment.
I'm pretty sure of a minor job site, the first aid training is cross loaded.
The first aid and fire marshall on my office floor doesn't just sit on their ass and do nothing.

stewie, any idea what was being worked on last year at Douglas Rd and Still Creek Ave?
There was construction, then nothing, then lots, then stopages then on again. This lasted MONTHS.
I'm pretty sure in HK, this wouldn't happen. They would just shut the street down for 2 weeks and just get it all done and over with.

stewie 01-30-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 8146993)

stewie, any idea what was being worked on last year at Douglas Rd and Still Creek Ave?
There was construction, then nothing, then lots, then stopages then on again. This lasted MONTHS.
I'm pretty sure in HK, this wouldn't happen. They would just shut the street down for 2 weeks and just get it all done and over with.

i work in waterworks so ive some info on that spot, but im not 100% accurate since those weren't done by the city crews i work with, i think either kiewit or cewe had contracted that job.

theres a massive feeder line that was being installed, with it being under the train tracks, it has to be deep....extremely deep, or else the train vibrations will break the pipe in no time, even if its made of steel, welds would crack. they had to use a custom made drill to core the hole, and half way through, the drill broke so they had to wait until a new one was made which took a loooong time. im not sure if it broke once or twice, but i know it was fucking annoying trying to drive through there everyday.

the G.V.R.D was in control of that water line. they supply all the massive water feeder lines, and burnaby branches our lines off of them.

ps - a feeder line is a water pipe thats about 4-6 feet in diamater. burnaby usually works on 12" or smaller..sometimes bigger, but its not often, and a 12" line is enough to supply a highrise..so 4-6 feet..crazy ammounts of water