REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
False reports

Lets say there's a married couple, rocky relationship, on the verge of divorce, and they have an argument before leaving for work.

Wife gets mad and calls the cops saying the husband tried to strangler her when in fact he never touched her.

Cops show up at the mans work, humiliates him in his office, arrests and takes him away.

What can a guy do in this situation?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Talk with a lawyer and get the legal situation revolving around the arrest and allegations sorted out/dealt with. Then, depending on the result of that, do research into Public Mischief.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Don't stick your dick in crazy.

Get a lawyer.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Something similar happened to a friend of mine recently. In town from back east with her hubby... long story short, hubby had a shouting argument with her druggie sister's druggie boyfriend... sister filed a police report claiming hubby had assaulted boyfriend and physically hit him numerous times. Surrey cops showed up at their Richmond hotel at 2am and hauled hubby away - never asked for their side of what happened, gave her no info on where they were taking him, wouldn't even let him help her get dressed (she was recovering from surgery and wears a leg brace).

My friend sat in her hotel room with no idea who to call or what to do, until she managed to get ahold of me in the morning... a few hours later I managed to get my kid to go pick her up and drive her to the Surrey lockup. She had zero luck getting ahold of crown counsel or even duty counsel, she eventually got ahold of a friend's lawyer and he got things sorted, finally managed to spring hubby and get back to their hotel some 20 hours after the whole thing started.

Thirty seconds for the cops to look at him for (complete lack of) any kind of injuries that would be consistent with such an assault would have cleared it up, but no, they just cuffed him and dragged him away based on nothing but a junkie's say-so (whole thing happened outside the methadone clinic, FFS).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Based entirely on what you told us....I wonder what grounds there were to arrest? No visible injuries, no independant witnesses, only the statement from, as you identified them "junkies". Standard procedure would involve an investigation that produced some sort of evidence other than the unsubstatiated statement from a "junkie". Unless there was some sort of violent confrontation going on when they arrived I can't see why he was arrested ? At the very least I would want to see some injuries on the "victim".

I would have separated both parties, talked to them, looked for injuries, identiified the parties by doing a Crim Record check ( takes less than a minute ) and making a judgement call on who is telling the truth. Arresting someone without grounds is not the way to get the job done properly. Not saying that normal folks don't assault "junkies" but there is a credibility question, specially outside a methadone clinic where the people there are impaired by drugs as a reason for being there. Interesting story. I bet charges never went forward.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Get a lawyer. Cops arresting someone with no evidence sounds like false imprisonment.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Based entirely on what you told us....I wonder what grounds there were to arrest? No visible injuries, no independant witnesses, only the statement from, as you identified them "junkies". Standard procedure would involve an investigation that produced some sort of evidence other than the unsubstatiated statement from a "junkie". Unless there was some sort of violent confrontation going on when they arrived I can't see why he was arrested ? At the very least I would want to see some injuries on the "victim".
That's what THEY said. That's what their lawyer said as well. That's why they've either filed, or will be filing, a complaint against the cops.

I didn't see the boyfriend at all, but we went for dinner with friend and hubby the next night, and he basically said, "If I'd hit him like she said I did (basically claimed he'd hit the boyfriend with his arms and elbows while pushing up against him) wouldn't you see bruises?" I didn't see a single bruise anywhere...

Quote:
I would have separated both parties, talked to them, looked for injuries, identiified the parties by doing a Crim Record check ( takes less than a minute ) and making a judgement call on who is telling the truth. Arresting someone without grounds is not the way to get the job done properly.
That's what WE ALL figured would be the procedure, too (I've spent enough time on RS to know these things). I don't recall if my friend said they'd both been interviewed or if it was just going off the sister's statement - I tend to think not. Seems to me that's one of the things their lawyer was questioning in particular.

Quote:
Not saying that normal folks don't assault "junkies" but there is a credibility question, specially outside a methadone clinic where the people there are impaired by drugs as a reason for being there. Interesting story. I bet charges never went forward.
Hubby was released after signing a promise to not have any contact with the sister or boyfriend. Of course, then the sister was texting my friend constantly for the next two days until they left town, asking why she wouldn't respond to her... my friend finally texted back something like, "Maybe you should think about what you did before you ask me that." Girl was completely oblivious to the fact that hubby had been arrested - probably never gave a second thought to the consequences of what she'd done.

They're back home now, the lawyer is dealing with things for them here, but he told them based on what he'd seen of the police reports, there were no grounds for charges to proceed. Actually, I should check in with her, seems to me the hearing should have come and gone by now.

Obviously there's quite a bit of backstory here as well - suffice to say, the sister and boyfriend are both previously known to Surrey RCMP.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

....starting to get sick of Surrey, the lower mainland in general, the junkies, and pretty much everyone with a stupid attitude that seem to be everywhere. Time to move into a quiet small town with real people.

By the sounds of the story, I doubt things will be moving forward at this point.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Are you threatening to move here???????? The only thing that changes here is the colour of the traffic light....green, yellow, red, green, yellow, red......
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Are you threatening to move here???????? The only thing that changes here is the colour of the traffic light....green, yellow, red, green, yellow, red......
Every now and then it just goes straight from green to red... sshhh, don't tell Sebberry, he'll have a stroke. It's obviously part of some government plot to separate more innocent drivers from their money.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Yeh...the traffic light things is like the tree that falls in the forest when nobody's around and makes no sound. The lights here sometimes go right from green to red, with no yellow...but if it does, be aware because it signals the onslaught of the Zombie Apocolypse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!