REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   City of Vancouver wanting to plant fruit trees in neighborhood public boulevard (https://www.revscene.net/forums/679837-city-vancouver-wanting-plant-fruit-trees-neighborhood-public-boulevard.html)

sh0n 01-30-2013 03:04 PM

City of Vancouver wanting to plant fruit trees in neighborhood public boulevard

City of Vancouver wanting to plant fruit trees in neighborhood public boulevard

They have a pilot project wanting to plant fruit trees in the neighborhood public boulevard (i.e the grass space between the road and sidewalk) and asking for resident's opinion and feedback.

I have my own opinions but would like to hear feedback from RS

Yah or Nay?

donjalapeno 01-30-2013 03:07 PM

That is so cool. Great news!

The city needs to stop fucken worrying about fruit trees and fix the god damn potholes in downtown. Especially on homer right after west pender, holy shit its bad.

sh0n 01-30-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfGang (Post 8146538)
That is so cool. Great news!

Not sure if serious.

This pilot project is planning to launch in 6 areas around Vancouver.

It doesn't sound like it may matter but having fruit trees in public spaces does have it's implications.

Geoc 01-30-2013 03:12 PM

Who's going to be liable if they someone at a piece of fruit from the tree and get sick? I don't want tax payer dollars going to pay off lawsuits due to some half baked idea.

Idea sounds cool, but I worry that it's going to be another half assed plan thats going to make the city shoot itself in the foot.

punkwax 01-30-2013 03:12 PM

Well if I were homeless I know where I'd hang out for some nutrition...

Manic! 01-30-2013 03:14 PM

New way to feed the homeless.

tonyzoomzoom 01-30-2013 03:15 PM

start by planting these around Gregor's home

bcrdukes 01-30-2013 03:18 PM

They did this in Los Angeles and officially opened a public park where all the trees are fruit trees (citrus mainly.) No cases of anything behind liabilities...yet. :badpokerface:

For those of you who are aware, beside Strathcona Park is the Strathcona community garden which has been around for over 20+ years (MG1 may know more about it.) People there grow their fruits and vegetables and there is wild fruit like blackberries. People seem to be picking them and consuming them with no serious problem know to the public.

sh0n 01-30-2013 03:22 PM

One of the things that concern me is rodent and insect infestation.

Having a fruit tree with fruit is basically a playground and 24 hour grocery mart for them.

Also my other concern is, who will be responsible to harvest the fruit in summer, pick up the leaves, branches and fruit in fall, etc

Just one of soo many things to consider.

sonick 01-30-2013 03:23 PM

If I were a bum I'd take the fruit and make my own pruno.

Geoc 01-30-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh0n (Post 8146555)
One of the things that concern me is hipster infestation.

Having a fruit tree with fruit is basically a playground and 24 hour grocery mart for them.

Also my other concern is, who will be responsible to harvest the fruit in summer, pick up the leaves, branches and fruit in fall, etc

fixed.

sonick 01-30-2013 03:27 PM

Actually, I was thinking if it were planted in more hipster areas there'd be higher chance of the fruit actually being eaten instead of falling off the tree and rotting all over the sidewalk.

bcrdukes 01-30-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh0n (Post 8146555)
One of the things that concern me is rodent and insect infestation.

In the case of the fruit tree park in Los Angeles, it was up to the City of Los Angeles' Parks and Recreation who took care of the fruit trees. I would liken the same for the The Parks Board or related city department to do the same, as they already do for most public parks and spaces.

I have a plum tree in front of my house and in the summer, it gets out of control. The only way for us to fix the problem is to either clean it up ourselves or our friends, family and neighbours pick the fruit for us. :fullofwin:

AWDTurboLuvr 01-30-2013 03:36 PM

I'm down for it....as long as they plant some trees by frozen's yard.

Presto 01-30-2013 03:40 PM

How much is it going to cost to maintain? At least it's not as stupid as ugly Mallardville's (Coquitlam) metal planters that required unionized workers to water and prune them, which probably costs way too much.

GLOW 01-30-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8146552)
For those of you who are aware, beside Strathcona Park is the Strathcona community garden which has been around for over 20+ years (MG1 may know more about it.) People there grow their fruits and vegetables and there is wild fruit like blackberries. People seem to be picking them and consuming them with no serious problem know to the public.

but the community garden is most likely kept and maintained by the community. i foresee this on our streets

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/...47b0eabf4b.jpg

FFS they cant even clean the leaves competently off our side streets how can they handle fruit?

bloodmack 01-30-2013 04:19 PM

i know where i'm going if i'm ever homeless.

Vansterdam 01-30-2013 04:26 PM

what kind of fruit lol

Renthal 01-30-2013 04:34 PM

sounds like a liability nightmare. Eat the fruit, get sick and sue.
costs to spray the trees, and maintain
i'm not sure if vancouver is pesticide free, I can see the hipsters losing their minds when they go to spray for insects..

subordinate 01-30-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8146594)

This.

The city will need the community to be an active party in this process. Or you will end up with a lot of rotten fruits.
Also, the complaints might be an issue - factoring in birds, bird poop, coyotes, raccoons, other small rodents - might have some nimby after the trial phase.

sh0n 01-30-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8146619)
what kind of fruit lol

They did not specify but I'm assuming given our climate it would either be apple or pear. Most likely apple

Selanne_200 01-30-2013 07:01 PM

I for one would be against it. Someone already mentioned the left overs and rotten fruit, but we're forgetting the crows. They're going to be pecking up the fruits and leaving a mess everything and it'll be a hassle for people to clean up after them

beproud 01-30-2013 07:05 PM

I like it! I personally don't see the difference between this and those community gardens eh.

ShadowBun 01-30-2013 07:11 PM

Give me a money tree

firebird79_00 01-30-2013 07:27 PM

Think it's a stupid idea.
Posted via RS Mobile