REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Laptop won't turn on

Hi fellow RS

My friend laptop is having some issue. It won't turn on. She said on her laptop charger usually there is a soild light but now it just keeps blinking. When she try to turn the laptop on it will do nothing.

I haven't take a look at it in person yet (will do so this weekend). My guess is that the charger stop working and she use the battery so that's why it won't turn on. This happen when she was away on a trip and her mom was using it so not much info I can get.

What are the chances of the laptop charger failing? She had the laptop for about a year and it is a samsung laptop if that matters. If it is the charger is there any local place I can get her a charger for cheap?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
ask her to remove the battery and plug only the charger..
Some laptops cant turn on without a battery in it. my old dell is like that while my HP can turn on with no battery and plugged in charger only.

she could take it to a repair center and ask the staff to check it.. usually its free, they just simply test with a different charger/battery
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

hi! 1st post xD try this, this is what i wouldve done

1.) take out the battery
2.) unplug it from the wall + adapter and unplug any peripheral on it (ie. usb, headphones etc.) your pretty much getting your laptop naked
3.) press and hold the power button on the laptop for atleast 10 secounds (just hold it for like 20 lol)
4.) reinsert the battery
5.) replug it to the wall
6.) try it!

what does this do? drains all the power in the laptop and throws it into a nice cold boot cuz it seems like you just had a battery bug.

if it doesn't work i suggest brining it to like a samsung store (metrotown) and just ask them kindly if they can try putting a spare battery and plug to help diagnose your problem. if worse comes to worse... she might've shot the computers power supply /mobo (cuz its a laptop) or something |:

best of luck!
MarcusLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,933 Times in 3,882 Posts
Is the AC power light flashing on the laptop, or the power adapter? Either way, power adapters can fry quite easily, so that would be the first thing I check.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Is the AC power light flashing on the laptop, or the power adapter? Either way, power adapters can fry quite easily, so that would be the first thing I check.
The light is flashing on the power adapter...... I think most likely is the pwer adapter..... seems quite common now with power adapter.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,175 Posts
Something like this should do the trick: Antec NP90 Universal 19V 4.74A Notebook Laptop AC Power Adapter

EDIT: Not sure if that one works with Samsung, but this one does apparently: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75947&...e=COOLERMASTER
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

circuit is fried
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts