REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

DNA Confirms Bones Are King Richard III's

Found this interesting.

Quote:
LONDON—Researchers on Monday said the long-lost remains of King Richard III have been found and identified—after sitting under what is now a parking lot in the English Midlands for more than 500 years.

The findings appear to solve a centuries-old mystery involving one of England's most-storied rulers, who has remained in the public fascination through a Shakespeare play and Hollywood movies.

University of Leicester researchers said at a news conference that DNA tests on bones recently unearthed in an archaeological dig in Leicester match samples taken from two living descendants of Richard's sister. A separate skeletal analysis showed striking similarities between the unearthed bones and features Richard was said to have had, they said.

"It was the result we were all waiting to hear," the university said. "In one of the most important announcements in the University's history, our academics have today revealed that the…skeleton is indeed that of King Richard III."

Richard III, the controversial 15th century English monarch, was killed at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. The story goes that the body was taken to nearby Leicester, about 100 miles north of London, after his death. Until recently, no one had tried to dig up his remains.

In September, archeologists at the University of Leicester acted on a hunch that Richard may have been buried under a city council parking lot. Archeologists started to dig and within a week had found a skeleton and a medieval friary, raising hopes that Richard's remains had been found.

DNA tests suggest that bones found under a parking lot in Leicester, England, are those of King Richard III, who ruled from 1483 to 1485 before being killed at the Battle of Bosworth. Dow Jones's Jenny Gross looks at the debate over where he should be buried.

Tests of the remains showed the man whose remains were found was likely to have been killed by one or two injuries to the skull, which fits with the story that Richard was killed in battle by sword or ax.

"The corpse was subjected to 'humiliation injuries'—including a sword through the right buttock," the university said.

The skeleton also has a curved spine, just as Richard was reported to have. Radiocarbon dating revealed the bones had a high-protein diet, including significant amounts of seafood, a sign he was of high status, the university said.

"I'm delighted it's been proven to be Richard, but after all the humiliation he has suffered in his reputation it's a shame his remains now have to be flashed around on the Internet," said Sally Henshaw, secretary of the Richard III Society branch in East Midlands. "At least we know we'll be able to put him to rest finally and he will be buried as an anointed king should be."

The bones of Richard will be reinterred in Leicester, where his remains stayed for more than 500 years. Some Richard III enthusiasts had called for Richard to be buried in York and others in Westminster Abbey or Windsor Castle, where other monarchs are interred.

"It's fantastic—absolutely brilliant," said Richard Smith, another member of the Richard III Society. "I'll be able to visit him frequently so that'll be very fortunate for me."

Leicester officials said they hope the prospect of a proper burial site would be a boost to tourism, creating a focal point for a king who ruled England for just two years, but whose story has long captivated enthusiasts.

Richard became king in 1483, taking power from his nephew, the 12-year-old Edward V. Richard said Edward was an illegitimate heir as the product of his father's second marriage. Richard was said to have imprisoned his two nephews in the Tower of London. Within months of Richard's taking the throne, the two nephews disappeared, and some assumed Richard had them murdered.

Some historians say Richard was an evil, power-hungry ruler who murdered family members to quicken his rise to the throne. William Shakespeare's "Richard III" helped to popularize this depiction, describing Richard as a crippled villain who killed anyone in his path to the throne.

Others say this description is fictional, and one spread by Henry Tudor, Richard's successor, whose army killed Richard in battle. Shakespeare was born about 80 years after Richard died and wrote during the Tudor dynasty. Pro-Richard enthusiasts say a closer look at Richard's reign shows he was one of the most progressive rulers of his time and one who promoted foreign trade and books.

His death at the Battle of Bosworth Field, outside of Leicester, marked a pivotal moment in English history and in the struggle for power between the House of York and the House of Lancaster, known as the "The Wars of the Roses." Richard was the last of the Plantagenet kings to rule and his defeat by Henry VII began the start of the Tudor dynasty, which lasted for more than a century.
Advertisement

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts

I hope I never get scoliosis
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

^ i have it, no where near that bad though, that's a nasty case of it
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
i had always wondered if king richard had a high protein diet
Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Whenever I hear about King Richard, I think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37bbj8HbM5I

LONG LIVE KING RICHARD!

(yes, i know it is not the same King Richard)
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
"The corpse was subjected to 'humiliation injuries'—including a sword through the right buttock," the university said.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacePace View Post

I hope I never get scoliosis
Unless you have it now, the only way you would get scoliosis is functionally. And you can "fix" functional scoliosis. ie. if you constantly wear a bag on one shoulder and it pulls the musculature on that side which may lead to a functional scoliosis. Easily treated by exercises and if you stop wearing a bag on that one shoulder.

The scoliosis above is congenital, which means he had it from birth or a young child and it progressed to that C-curve. If he were alive today it wouldn't have progressed that severely as a therapeutic intervention would have been in place.

edit; Funny, I just saw this on the news and it looked like he had a S shape scoliosis and not a C shape, the archeologist also said he had a S-shaped scolio. So I think whoever put that spine together put it together incorrectly (not that this really matters).

Last edited by TheKingdom2000; 02-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Unless you have it now, the only way you would get scoliosis is functionally. And you can "fix" functional scoliosis. ie. if you constantly wear a bag on one shoulder and it pulls the musculature on that side which may lead to a functional scoliosis. Easily treated by exercises and if you stop wearing a bag on that one shoulder.

The scoliosis above is congenital, which means he had it from birth or a young child and it progressed to that C-curve. If he were alive today it wouldn't have progressed that severely as a therapeutic intervention would have been in place.
Was reading this in my chair leaned over to one side, immediately straightened out after reading.

fuck how do i sit now
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #9

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Was reading this in my chair leaned over to one side, immediately straightened out after reading.

fuck how do i sit now
Yeah, posture is really important for overall back health.

Just because you lean on one side doesn't mean you'll get a functional scoliosis. You might get some back problems due to unilateral tight muscles, but I don't think it'll be anything too serious.

Though, if you maintain a static posture like leaning over on one side for many hours this can cause problems down the road (acute to chronic low back pain). If you sit in front of the computer for many hours of the day just make sure you constantly change positions and postures, try not to slouch, and take breaks often.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
archeologists at the University of Leicester acted on a hunch that Richard may have been buried under a city council parking lot.

wall hacks
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts

the king shoulda used one of these!

i shit you not, these things work lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i've got a fucked up curved back too..
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
just saw on the news that they used the dna of a Canadian to confirm that the remains are that of richard 3

he can trace his lineage back to richards mother or sister... can't recall what was said
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
wow the archaeologist acted on a hunch. that is some epic hunch.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

archaeologists are the coolest.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
aren't you an archaeologist?

i wanted to be one, took quite a few courses but decided otherwise :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
aren't you an archaeologist?

i wanted to be one, took quite a few courses but decided otherwise :/
I was for 8 years. Worked primarily with land development so mostly impact assessment, data recovery, etc. for bridges, subdivisions, hwy expansions, and subsurface transmission lines.

Never did anything 'exotic' per se, but found some pretty cool shit.