REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

RRSP Question: Haven't worked for the past year, $0 RRSP What is my contribution?

Like title says, what is my maximum contribution?
Advertisement
dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Check the bottom of your notice of assessement that the CRA sends to you. It will have the exact amount there.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

What if I don't have that anymore? Should I just go with no contribution to make sure I don't get penalized? Or is 1% a safe bet?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
SiRVs up, dude

why would you make any contribution at all if you don't need the tax deduction benefits of it...?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
why would you make any contribution at all if you don't need the tax deduction benefits of it...?
You can make a contribution so you can get a refund from the government.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual View Post
What if I don't have that anymore? Should I just go with no contribution to make sure I don't get penalized? Or is 1% a safe bet?
If my memory serves me correctly, you can access your previous NOA's on the CRA site. You will need your SIN number and other personal details.

18% of your line 101 is your years contribution limit.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
if you have room in your TFSA, max that first

RRSPs are not that great - yes money today, but between today and when you cash out and pay tax on it all again, you will turn preferably treated income into non preferably treated income. you also lose ability to use that money, unless you want to get taxed on it.

the ONLY money that goes into my RRSP is money directly put in by my company, which almost maxes me out - but its free money to me, so w/e... if and when that goes away, i will not be putting any money in my RRSP's unless i were to get married/have kids - great way to income split then (your spouse would be earning $0, effectively, so it will come out effectively tax free - HUGE PLUS)

bottom line, RRSPs are to be used sparingly
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

your contribution for 2012 will be based on 2011 income and made in 2013.

So it depends what your income was in 2011. Not 2012 (that's what I assume when you said past year)

And yes its 18% of that income or 23k whichever is lower.
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

RRSPs are not that great - yes money today, but between today and when you cash out and pay tax on it all again, you will turn preferably treated income into non preferably treated income. you also lose ability to use that money, unless you want to get taxed on it.

the ONLY money that goes into my RRSP is money directly put in by my company, which almost maxes me out - but its free money to me, so w/e... if and when that goes away, i will not be putting any money in my RRSP's unless i were to get married/have kids - great way to income split then (your spouse would be earning $0, effectively, so it will come out effectively tax free - HUGE PLUS)

Don't forget that you can withdraw a portion for your RRSP's for your first time home buyers program for your downpayment for your first time home purchase. Just has to sit there for 90 days and you can take it out with out any penalties or taxes and you have 15 years to pay that back. Great advantage if you want to save money for your home, cause homes ain't cheap these days.

TFSA's have their advantages too as mentioned by 4444,
It just doesn't offer tax deduction and have a life time limit of $25500, but it's a great place to invest too.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09k20 View Post
Don't forget that you can withdraw a portion for your RRSP's for your first time home buyers program for your downpayment for your first time home purchase. Just has to sit there for 90 days and you can take it out with out any penalties or taxes and you have 15 years to pay that back. Great advantage if you want to save money for your home, cause homes ain't cheap these days.

TFSA's have their advantages too as mentioned by 4444,
It just doesn't offer tax deduction and have a life time limit of $25500, but it's a great place to invest too.
yes, first time homebuyers benefit is huge - i have more than $25K (or whatever the limit is) so i don't think about it anymore... i will use mine when teh time comes

as for TFSA, right now its $25,500 limit, growing at $5,500 a year
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #11

Ok so I found my deduction limit. Can I apply for TFSA if my company doesn't offer it?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual View Post
Ok so I found my deduction limit. Can I apply for TFSA if my company doesn't offer it?
Yup, go into any bank and you can open a TFSA investment account.
I have a self directed trading TFSA account and I purchased mutual funds and stocks for my portfolio.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:

Your financial situation dictates how much or how little RRSPs should be used.

If someone was in the max tax bracket and could max out their RRSPs, then they could leverage with the government's money to fill up their TSFA.

- Fixed income into the RRSP
- Dividend paying stocks into the TSFA
- Non-dividend paying stocks into a plain investment account

Putting dividend stocks into the TSFA reduces your tax exposure when holding american stocks while increasing your contribution room if you have to remove.

Stocks in plain investment account because you don't pay taxes until you sell and then it's only capital gains @ 50%.

First time homebuyer's thing isn't that great either depending on where you think housing will go. With interest rates the way they are, why wouldn't you borrow from the banks @ 3% and leave your RRSP contributions alone where they would make 7% (or whatever number)?

If you think housing will go up, then perfect.. you're using the bank's money to leverage.
If you think housing will go down, then why would you buy?

Point is, it's not that simple. You have to figure your financial situation out and do the math.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Your financial situation dictates how much or how little RRSPs should be used.

If someone was in the max tax bracket and could max out their RRSPs, then they could leverage with the government's money to fill up their TSFA.

- Fixed income into the RRSP
- Dividend paying stocks into the TSFA
- Non-dividend paying stocks into a plain investment account

Putting dividend stocks into the TSFA reduces your tax exposure when holding american stocks while increasing your contribution room if you have to remove.

Stocks in plain investment account because you don't pay taxes until you sell and then it's only capital gains @ 50%.

First time homebuyer's thing isn't that great either depending on where you think housing will go. With interest rates the way they are, why wouldn't you borrow from the banks @ 3% and leave your RRSP contributions alone where they would make 7% (or whatever number)?

If you think housing will go up, then perfect.. you're using the bank's money to leverage.
If you think housing will go down, then why would you buy?

Point is, it's not that simple. You have to figure your financial situation out and do the math.
There's just too much I could say here

Why would u want dividends in tfsa? Why fixed income in rrsp? It all depends on ur mix,

Fixed income should not be in ur taxable account (fully taxable), dividends from cdn stocks are treated preferentially, so depends on where u have room, nothing wrong with paying tax on these if tfsa is full.

US dividends need to be in rrsp, as registered, so no withholding. Tfsa is not registered.

Again, way more to this discussion, but just know, I'm in high, high tax bracket, and I don't use my own money to supplement rrsp - I don't want to pay tax later on, and when I retire, I will be earning high income, so the benefit is lost on me
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
SiRVs up, dude

Wait what?

I thought both TFSA AND RRSP's are REGISTERED. The only thing that IS worth holding in a non-registered account should be Canadian Dividend paying stocks only due to the preferential tax treatment. No? All other types of income (i.e. interest income, bonds, GICs international/US funds) should go into registered accounts (RRSP+TFSA)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Wait what?

I thought both TFSA AND RRSP's are REGISTERED. The only thing that IS worth holding in a non-registered account should be Canadian Dividend paying stocks only due to the preferential tax treatment. No? All other types of income (i.e. interest income, bonds, GICs international/US funds) should go into registered accounts (RRSP+TFSA)
Cap gains are taxed preferably too, half marginal rate

Tfsa is not registered for purposes of no withholding from US taxation, but is tax free, as the name suggests
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
SiRVs up, dude

Can you explain 'no withholding from US taxation'? I'm not too clear on what that is
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
There's just too much I could say here

Why would u want dividends in tfsa? Why fixed income in rrsp? It all depends on ur mix,

Fixed income should not be in ur taxable account (fully taxable), dividends from cdn stocks are treated preferentially, so depends on where u have room, nothing wrong with paying tax on these if tfsa is full.

US dividends need to be in rrsp, as registered, so no withholding. Tfsa is not registered.

Again, way more to this discussion, but just know, I'm in high, high tax bracket, and I don't use my own money to supplement rrsp - I don't want to pay tax later on, and when I retire, I will be earning high income, so the benefit is lost on me
Interest is taxed at your marginal rate. It makes sense to defer the taxes until you need to withdraw or to put into a TSFA. Assuming (for simplicity), a 50-50 allocation between fixed income and stocks (simple cap gains), you gain the most benefit from putting the fixed income in a tax shelter and holding the stocks in the non-registered account.

Sorry my bad on the TSFA and US taxes. I'd still hold canadian dividend stocks in the TSFA though because why pay taxes when you don't need to?

As I said though, it's not cut and dry and depends on your asset allocation and how much you have in assets and your contribution room.

SiRV: If you hold a US stock that pays dividends, the US tax man takes a witholding tax. If you put it into an RRSP, you get it back.

For Canadian dividends generally, TSFA > normal account (because of canadian tax credit) > RRSP (you're taxed at marginal rates when you withdraw)

For US dividends generally, RRSP > TSFA > normal amount
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
SiRVs up, dude

I'm also holding Canadian(ZRE) and American (VNQ) REITs. I was never too sure where to put them in my portfolio, but currently they are both sitting in my TFSA. Would you recommend I re-allocate the American REIT into my RRSP instead to maximize the returns?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm also holding Canadian(ZRE) and American (VNQ) REITs. I was never too sure where to put them in my portfolio, but currently they are both sitting in my TFSA. Would you recommend I re-allocate the American REIT into my RRSP instead to maximize the returns?
the US ETF, when it pays a dividend to your TFSA, will withhold 15% tax.

as your TFSA is non taxable, you cannot claim a foreign tax credit - so you lose big time with this current situation

either RRSP or marginal account (assuming you can max out your TFSA with something else, for the latter recommendation)