REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #101
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Many Sherlock Holmes here.
lol, internet is full of ameteur Sherlock Holmes.
That's how when someone causes trouble, like the SCF rioters, their facebook is found, and information about them is plastered all over the internet.

But this one's a tough one...
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #102
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If you "full screen" the video, you can see there's more than 4 buttons - 2 or 3 columns of buttons actually.

Also, after seeing some photos of the interior of the Cecil Hotel, you can see that the tile and walls are the same as in the video. Right down to the horizontal wood rail and the two vertical white lines.

Attached Images
File Type: png Hotel.png (149.2 KB, 0 views)

2006 Honda S2000 :-)
chucky200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #103
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
the elevator security video was indeed at Cecil hotel

this thread seems got it going with the investigation

CA CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

although they posting wierd shit how its connected to the paranormal and elisa might be talking to a ghost..

another thing that was mentioned is how elisa looks to be like a snappy dresser judging from her pics.. so why would she go out in basketballs shorts, sweater and flip flops? especially if she was gonna check out of the hotel that day..

iv only read one article that mentioned she might be suffering from mild depression

Quote:
Lam was last seen wearing a purple/blue t-shirt and black basketball shorts, and she was not wearing her glasses. The LAPD have noted Lam may suffer from mild depression.
Video: Missing Canadian Tourist Elisa Lam Seen Acting Bizarrely Inside Hotel: LAist

someone had just posted this on the Elisa Lam FB page

Quote:
Hi. I think I saw her last Saturday, on Wilshire and Western. It was early in the afternoon and she was yelling nonstop into the air. I thought at first she might be a religious preacher, but it was pretty clear she was having some kind of mental trouble. She was not wearing glasses, but she fits the description. I will call the LAPD and let them know the same. I wish I had seen the LAist article earler.
http://www.facebook.com/FindElisaLam?fref=ts

this just seem so bizzare of a story, i was actually hoping for some sort of a better ending to this thing where she actually did have a mental breakdown and is somewhere in LA now still alive and refusing to make contact..

2 weeks and no sighting, it just starting to look very slim, its not like she got lost in the woods,

Last edited by dub.g; 02-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #104
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Video gave me serious chills, fuck.

As for University students being smart, you'd seriously be surprised. There are a lot of University students with a high GPA who lack life experience.

Most of the time, life experience translates into street smarts.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #105
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

The Cecil Hotel is scary and haunted.

Video of elevator in the hotel:

Last edited by Amuse; 02-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #106
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
There is probably an even better term for it,
IQ vs EQ...

some people are just extremely unbalanced. all IQ no EQ etc vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's just the timing of things. If you look at this user's post history (and fail count) it was warranted.
I don't think a users fail count should be looked at when banning someone, otherwise you should have to look at thanks too. and then even it out? LOL...

what if he posted a buncha ugly chicks in the NSFW or a buncha hot chicks. you get a huge disproportionate amount of thanks vs fails due to stupid things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Now I don't know what Hondaracer said to get banned, but as for the guy in this thread.. I don't think it's right to ban him for posting his opinion, as blunt as it was (too close to the truth or too insensitive perhaps?) - regardless if he contributed regularly or not.

This is just my two cents, but I do appreciate that you took the time to explain the other recent situations.
yeah i agree, his opinion and other posts, regardless of whether they are harsh or useful or viewed as contributing, shouldn't matter.

one man's perception of contributing can be very different from someone elses... so only violations that have stuck should count. you can't arrest someone for having a potty mouth and protesting and doing 56 in a 50 zone, but if he's had 3 break and enters, that's a different story right?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #107
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I'm an adult and I did that. Heck, myself and other fellow tenants even went as far as jumping up and down on stuck elevators (when we reached the point of frustration)... and we were all adults.

The point is, that video could be open to more interpretations rather than the popular consensus around here. It's hardly an objective observation when you only choose to interpret things the way you want to see it... you know, the more juicier (and exciting) interpretation.

Anyways, not saying your interpretation is wrong though.
Well there's a difference between adults acting like kids having fun in an elevator, and one that is alone, in a foreign country, all by herself. If I never knew the circumstances of her situation, and saw the video, I would still think it is very very odd. We as humans can generally observe something and tell if there is something off or not. If this was simply a case of someone goofing around in an elevator, it would be very apparent. It is possible, sure.. is it probably, I don't think so.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #108
Big Drama Show

What is she doing in LA by herself in the first place? Also, why would you post up at a hotel without doing any prior research?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #109
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
This whole story reminds me of the movie Taken.
I hope she is found, can't imagine what her family is going through.
Posted via RS Mobile
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #110
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If the LAPD and/or the family suggests that she might be suffering from mild depression, then I can understand how someone could just up and leave a city without telling anyone, especially if she is manic depressive.

When someone is cycling between being depressed and mania, they try to find ways to stay in the manic state. This is even more true in people who are not in active therapy. When someone is in a manic state, they feel really great and feel that they can achieve anything and believe that they will. So while it may seem strange to some to just leave and go see someone down in LA or just check into a crappy hotel, this person was never acting with rationale to begin with.

These people are extremely vulnerable to being addicted to drugs, because they already experience highs and lows in their "regular" daily life and just want to stay in their "happy" zone.

I hope they find her soon and she gets back to her family.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #111
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
If the LAPD and/or the family suggests that she might be suffering from mild depression, then I can understand how someone could just up and leave a city without telling anyone, especially if she is manic depressive.
That's quite the big fucking leap you just made there
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #112

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I wonder why there hasnt been a reward offered for her safe return......
Posted via RS Mobile

Edit. Maybe the cops dont misleading info from money hungry people....

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 02-15-2013 at 08:22 AM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #113
RS Veteran

I still think the family is hiding/refusing to disclose all information. They basically haven't said anything except that Elisa is in LA and hasn't contacted them.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #114
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post

When someone is cycling between being depressed and mania, they try to find ways to stay in the manic state. This is even more true in people who are not in active therapy. When someone is in a manic state, they feel really great and feel that they can achieve anything and believe that they will. So while it may seem strange to some to just leave and go see someone down in LA or just check into a crappy hotel, this person was never acting with rationale to begin with.

These people are extremely vulnerable to being addicted to drugs, because they already experience highs and lows in their "regular" daily life and just want to stay in their "happy" zone.

I hope they find her soon and she gets back to her family.
Yeah, you are way off in your mental health assessment here. Mild depression is actually pretty normal, is more of a mood disorder that affects your life in a minimal way. Mild depression does not require medication to treat, nor is suicide usually a concern.

Manic depressive (which is actually now called Bipolar) is a VERY different mental issue that is a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication is require to treat this disorder. Extreme behaviour, extreme mood changes, illogical thoughts, etc...are a result of this. Also, this just not just 'pop-up' over night so unless this type of behaviour or diagnosis was noted before, I highly doubt she is bipolar.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #115
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Yeah, you are way off in your mental health assessment here. Mild depression is actually pretty normal, is more of a mood disorder that affects your life in a minimal way. Mild depression does not require medication to treat, nor is suicide usually a concern.

Manic depressive (which is actually now called Bipolar) is a VERY different mental issue that is a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication is require to treat this disorder. Extreme behaviour, extreme mood changes, illogical thoughts, etc...are a result of this. Also, this just not just 'pop-up' over night so unless this type of behaviour or diagnosis was noted before, I highly doubt she is bipolar.
I know the differences. However, a person with mild depression will not just go and take off without letting anyone know why. I just didn't clarify myself. What I'm trying to get at is she might be manic but the family does not want to that information to go public. So the family tells the authorities that she's suffering from mild depression. She could be just off her meds due to unwanted side-effects.

Again, I'm just basing this on the video evidence, the suggestion of depression and the fact that no one was notified when she left town. These are all highly extreme behaviours and illogical choices being displayed here, would you not agree?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #116
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I still think the family is hiding/refusing to disclose all information. They basically haven't said anything except that Elisa is in LA and hasn't contacted them.
you cannot conclude that unless you are the actual investigators.

Not all information is just going to be leaked out to the "nosey" public and media.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #117
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

Not all information is just going to be leaked out to the "nosey" public and media.
For them to inform the public as to whether she has a mental illness or not, is very important piece of information not only for the police, but for the public. A "missing" person with dementia, drug addiction, or any sort of mental illness is considered high risk. The facts that are disclosed is "suspicious". Suspicious does not hold the same importance as high risk.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #118
Big Drama Show

I hope she's found soon, so the family can finally be at pace, and so we can stop seeing posts about how Mild Depression = Manic Depressive
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #119

Quote:

Probably not but that nosey public and media is one of the best tool u can use in finding a missing person. Look what happened when the video was released? A person saw it and claimed he saw her on the street. Had he saw it earlier, this case may have been over already.

I dont see that that many negatives by letting the public and media know everything.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #120

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post

I dont see that that many negatives by letting the public and media know everything.
Posted via RS Mobile
Even if the public has the correct information, people will still ignore the facts and apply their personal biases to examine the issue. We see this all of the time in threads here and all over the internet.

Perhaps, we should trust that the professionals have all of the information they need from the family to continue the investigation? It's not as if they've chastised the family for not providing enough information.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #121

^its not a court case, its a missing person. Knowledge is power and if leaking info to the media and public helps find this person, id say do it. I dont really see that many cases being solved by the professionals, its always bystanders or the public who happened to see the news that usually ends up finding that missing person.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #122
Banned (ABWS)?

I'm not disagreeing that the best idea is to reveal more information to the public. But I was simply stating that we cannot conclude whether the family was refusing to give out all information to the police or not.

The family isn't talking to the media, so what goes out is really what the police wants to give out.

I don't know the professional procedure to finding missing people, but it's always very normal for police to slowly leak information bit by bit, seeking additional public help only when necessary. It could be cause it takes time to gather new information, or the police are purposely only leaking a bit at a time.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #123

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing that the best idea is to reveal more information to the public. But I was simply stating that we cannot conclude whether the family was refusing to give out all information to the police or not.

The family isn't talking to the media, so what goes out is really what the police wants to give out.

I don't know the professional procedure to finding missing people, but it's always very normal for police to slowly leak information bit by bit, seeking additional public help only when necessary. It could be cause it takes time to gather new information, or the police are purposely only leaking a bit at a time.
Of course we cannot CONCLUDE that family is refusing to give out information....all that anyone has said in this thread is that they THINK that the family is not giving out all the information....Thinking something and coming to conclusion are two different things....
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #124
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Of course we cannot CONCLUDE that family is refusing to give out information....all that anyone has said in this thread is that they THINK that the family is not giving out all the information....Thinking something and coming to conclusion are two different things....
OK. Then let me rephrase what I meant.
I "beg to differ", and I THINK that the family IS giving out all the information to the best of their knowledge, and the police are withholding it from the general public for whatever reason.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #125

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
OK. Then let me rephrase what I meant.
I "beg to differ", and I THINK that the family IS giving out all the information to the best of their knowledge, and the police are withholding it from the general public for whatever reason.
Cool.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: