REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Driving with your Learners License question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680456-driving-your-learners-license-question.html)

skyline32 02-14-2013 02:20 AM

Driving with your Learners License question

I'm not 100% sure if this was ever posted, but I'm just curious as to what would happen to you if you got caught by the police driving with a Learners license alone, without breaking any laws? (like a random check)

would you get your license suspended?
car towed?
etc.

Fafine 02-14-2013 02:39 AM

na dude completely safe :badpokerface:

TypeRNammer 02-14-2013 02:48 AM

Don't think anything is going to happen

Spoiler!

Inaii 02-14-2013 03:01 AM

You should try it and let us know what happens!

Prolowtone 02-14-2013 03:22 AM

:failed:

zulutango 02-14-2013 06:38 AM

You get a VT for no DL or driving contrary to restrictions, your car gets towed and probably pay storage till it gets bailed out, you get your L cancelled by MVB, your L period starts again after the suspension and reinstatement costs involved are paid and if you have a crash ICBC insurance will not cover you. I can't see any problem...can you? Are you really that....how can I say this tactfully..... uninformed ?:facepalm:

sho_bc 02-14-2013 08:38 AM

Depending on what time of the day you do it, you risk up to $327 worth of tickets just for the restriction violations, plus any other moving violation tickets, plus the tow, plus the possible shaming in your parents being called to tell them that their car is in the impound lot waiting for them to pick it up.

Then you get to wait for the letter from the OSMV telling you that they're prohibiting you from driving. Then hopefully you'd be smart enough to not drive while prohibited and get to start your L process all over again from the beginning after paying to have your DL re-instated. At the end of the day, all costs involved will add up to close to $1000 (factoring in any taxis/bus trips needed while prohibited as well).

As zulu said, ICBC wouldn't cover you in any collision and may attribute majority blame on you even if you weren't the cause of the collision, due to the fact that you shouldn't have been on the road at all.

skyline32 02-17-2013 10:21 AM

thanks, and another thing, am i allowed to drive past the US/CA border WITH a qualified supervisor?

mb_ 02-17-2013 11:10 AM

Yes
Posted via RS Mobile

XplicitLuder 02-17-2013 12:00 PM

take it from someone who thought was almighty, never-gonna-get-caught kid who drove alone with his L

first time - i got pulled over cus i forgot to turn my headlights on at night, anyways as soon as i got pulled over i wasnt gonna bs and lie, i got caught red handed with my L lol so i told the officer i shouldn't be driving cus i dont have my N, etc etc and she basically only gave me one ticket "driving against restrictions " and told me to call my guardians to come get my car so she doesnt tow it. nice lady :)

couple months after i get a letter from icbc saying theyre putting me in probation and any further tickets may result in suspension

couple months after that i still thought i was this "almighty, never-gonna-get-caugh-again kid" and guess what i got caught a second time!

didn't bs the officer and told him straight up what i said to the first one. he gave me just one ticket "driving against restriction" and made me call my guardians again so they pick it up.

2 months later i recieved a letter from ICBC telling me to surrender my license and i lost it for 3 months.

in the end was it worth it? $$ wise nope, some can say i dont know how to drive and i was a danger to society or other drivers but ive been driving before that (always practiced out in the country and when i lived back in my country i use to practice as well since i was younger) and i thought i drove like any body else out there.

after 2 tickets + paying to get my license back i never did anything bad again lol and now that i can drive legally i have never gotten any tickets (knock on wood)

so moral of the story ? dont do it :badpokerface:

Nlkko 02-17-2013 12:17 PM

Dont risk it. Im not even worrying about the police, just on the fact that icbc wont cover you.
Posted via RS Mobile

wingies 02-17-2013 12:38 PM

lol that would suck, getting hit by a c-lai or a drunk driver and being totally at fault

skyline32 02-20-2013 12:32 AM

totally agreeable, guess it isnt worth it :D

btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

thanks

TOS'd 02-20-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline32 (Post 8164832)

btw whats the yearly insurance rate for New Drivers? anyone care to share? and is there a way around to paying the full amount? i heard from a friend that i can use, my father's insurance and have him put my name under his insurance? so that i would have his 43% etc?

thanks

That may be good and all up until you are involved in an accident. In which case insurance may not cover you driving the car so even if you were not at fault, you would still be on the hook.

dlo 02-20-2013 12:41 AM

Having it under ur fathers name would mean that the car is primarily drive by HIM, not you. You are allowed a maximum of 4 days of usage per month or something, ICBC will cover you at the extend that you are not the daily driver
Posted via RS Mobile

aznkev03 02-20-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlo (Post 8164839)
Having it under ur fathers name would mean that the car is primarily drive by HIM, not you. You are allowed a maximum of 4 days of usage per month or something, ICBC will cover you at the extend that you are not the daily driver
Posted via RS Mobile

If you have it under your fathers insurance, you need to ensure that you can prove your father drives it more calendar days per month than you do in the case of an accident. Aside from that, there is no limit on the amount you can drive it. As long as you aren't the one they drives it the most

I would be careful if you drive to and from work/school though. 6 calendar days maximum for you and your dad combined if you are only buying leisure
Posted via RS Mobile

wing_woo 02-20-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline32 (Post 8164832)

thanks

Actually, the insurance can be under your father's name. However, you would have to lie and say your father was the principle driver to get whatever discount he has. If you do the proper way and have him designate you as the primary driver, then the insurance rate would be based on you. There may be a slight discount this way, but I don't think so, unless he already owns 4 other cars and this is the 5th one, then he'll get a slight discount.

dygital 02-20-2013 12:09 PM

If only you could fail...:rukidding:

hkRicer 02-20-2013 04:56 PM

My friend was driving with L all the time. This is like 4 years ago. He got caught like 4 times by the police. All they did writing him a bunch of ticket then threaten to tow his car away. (Usually he call someone and have them drive his car away) Funny thing is, he disputed every single tickets and went to court. And the judge actually reduce his fine like 50% every time. (He pledge guilty and said he was too poor to pay the ticket)ICBC keep suspending his license after he got his N though. He ended going back to China shortly after he got his N.

XplicitLuder 02-20-2013 05:14 PM

^ but is it worth it?..ive answered that question myself as someone who has done it. and your friend only recieved tickets but if your friend got into an accident it would be a whole different story. Thats why we are telling the OP not to do it..not "hey go ahead and fight the tickets when you get them, because you'll get your fine reduced most of the times since youre young and poor " :failed:

Jmac 02-20-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8159734)
Depending on what time of the day you do it, you risk up to $327 worth of tickets just for the restriction violations, plus any other moving violation tickets, plus the tow, plus the possible shaming in your parents being called to tell them that their car is in the impound lot waiting for them to pick it up.

Then you get to wait for the letter from the OSMV telling you that they're prohibiting you from driving. Then hopefully you'd be smart enough to not drive while prohibited and get to start your L process all over again from the beginning after paying to have your DL re-instated. At the end of the day, all costs involved will add up to close to $1000 (factoring in any taxis/bus trips needed while prohibited as well).

As zulu said, ICBC wouldn't cover you in any collision and may attribute majority blame on you even if you weren't the cause of the collision, due to the fact that you shouldn't have been on the road at all.

ICBC would still cover you in the event of a collision and cannot assign blame to you if you weren't the cause of the collision.

ICBC | When and why claims are denied

Violating your restrictions doesn't miraculously invalidate your license.

It's still an incredibly stupid idea to drive by yourself with an L unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e. your friend is dying and you need to get him to the hospital right now).

XplicitLuder 02-20-2013 07:28 PM

to add to what the officers in this thread have said, i disagree on something (unless they changed the rules recently)

they have stated that you start your L over again, which is NOT true (but like i said, unless they changed something within the last 2-3years) i never had too, i just continued my L when i got my license back. I had about 2 months left when i was suspended, and when i got it back 3 months later, i still had only 2 months to complete my L. Also you guys have stated that they get prohibited from driving, which is ICBC's call, which i believe is not true. if you get ONE ticket through the ordeal thats 3 points (assuming the tickets has pts and depending which ticket), and i believe 3 pts when on your L gets you into "probation" meaning any further tickets until you graduate from your L or N MAY result in a suspension. Last time i check anything more then 3 pts is immediate suspension. So if your ONE ticket you get is 4 pts + then youre SOL.

This is, once again, just my personal opinion that i observed while i was going through it

skyline32 02-22-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznkev03 (Post 8164895)
If you have it under your fathers insurance, you need to ensure that you can prove your father drives it more calendar days per month than you do in the case of an accident. Aside from that, there is no limit on the amount you can drive it. As long as you aren't the one they drives it the most

I would be careful if you drive to and from work/school though. 6 calendar days maximum for you and your dad combined if you are only buying leisure
Posted via RS Mobile

okay so how am i supposed to prove everytime my dad drives the car? incase of an accident? take a picture everytime he goes to work??:badpokerface:
most likely the case is that im not buying leisure as he needs it as a DD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8165395)
ICBC would still cover you in the event of a collision and cannot assign blame to you if you weren't the cause of the collision.

ICBC | When and why claims are denied

Violating your restrictions doesn't miraculously invalidate your license.

It's still an incredibly stupid idea to drive by yourself with an L unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e. your friend is dying and you need to get him to the hospital right now).

and JMac what do you mean ICBC will cover me?
like lets say i was driving across the intersection during a green light and some guy crosses a red light and hits my car. would i still be paying full price for the collision? due to the fact that when you have your Learner's you shouldn't be on the road?

aznkev03 02-22-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline32 (Post 8167502)
okay so how am i supposed to prove everytime my dad drives the car? incase of an accident? take a picture everytime he goes to work??:badpokerface:
most likely the case is that im not buying leisure as he needs it as a DD

like lets say i was driving across the intersection during a green light and some guy crosses a red light and hits my car. would i still be paying full price for the collision? due to the fact that when you have your Learner's you shouldn't be on the road?

They may ask for things like a letter from your father's employer stating which car he drives to work, etc.
Posted via RS Mobile

XplicitLuder 02-22-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline32 (Post 8167502)

you are allowed on the road with your L, youre just legally supposed to be with a supervisor of 25years+ and they have to have a full license. In a case of an accident, if someone else hits you and you were alone with just your L, from what i read, i think you'll still be covered because it says the only way it wont cover you is "You were driving without a valid driver's licence or while your licence was suspended. " ...and although its your Learners, thats still a VALID drivers license (correct me if im wrong). I could be wrong though..and knowing ICBC they'll probably do whatever they can to find YOU at fault, even if you didnt cause the accident because you are driving without a supervisor