REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Are you wasting money on deodorant? The answer can be found in your ears (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680505-you-wasting-money-deodorant-answer-can-found-your-ears.html)

heleu 02-15-2013 09:30 AM

Are you wasting money on deodorant? The answer can be found in your ears

Are you wasting money on deodorant? The answer can be found in your ears | Suzi Gage | Science | guardian.co.uk

Coles Notes:
There really is 'a gene for sweaty armpits', but new research suggests that the lucky people who don't have smelly sweat still use expensive deodorants

If you have dry earwax, you don't smell, and you don't need deodorant.

I have dry earwax...:fullofwin:

inv4zn 02-15-2013 09:32 AM

Maybe I don't want to ask, but what is "wet" earwax?

Mine are always...flaky, which I assume is the dry counterpart.

heleu 02-15-2013 09:35 AM

The article mentions most Asians have the dry earwax, where as most europeans have the wet type.

...which is probably why I haven't seen the wet type yet.

Gumby 02-15-2013 09:35 AM

Never thought I'd say this but...

Sweet - I have dry earwax! :fullofwin:

snails 02-15-2013 09:36 AM

wet earwax :okay:

murd0c 02-15-2013 09:39 AM

no one wastes money when they are trying not to smell...

gdoh 02-15-2013 09:45 AM

how long will it take before i gather enough ear wax to use on my armpits?

CharlesInCharge 02-15-2013 09:51 AM

Single male, living with parents, likes to have fun.... looking for a girl with dry earwax.

dinosaur 02-15-2013 10:54 AM

ew.

?uestlove 02-15-2013 11:19 AM

Wtf is deodorant
Posted via RS Mobile

CharlesInCharge 02-15-2013 11:31 AM

I havent used deodorant for many years... at one time I was using a natural salt cube that blocks the sweat pours or something but I dont even use that anymore because the body releases toxins through your sweat!

Truth is body odor reflects what you put into your body... the biggest culprit of bad smell is red meat and from what I understand its because of the juices your stomach releases to digest it.

Im 70%+ fruitarian and have been for over a year... my sweat smells alright/good unless I eat refined foods and meat.

FerrariEnzo 02-15-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdoh (Post 8160711)
how long will it take before i gather enough ear wax to use on my armpits?

lol you dont use earwax for your armpit... :badpokerface:

the article suggest a way to tell if you have smelly armpits by the type of earwax you have..

So is it worth having your genes checked to see if you need to use deodorant or not, or risk social exclusion by not wearing any for a week and seeing if your colleagues start waiting for the next lift? Luckily, it's even easier to find out – a quick look in your ears to check your earwax type will tell you whether you've been spraying your money away unnecessarily! - last paragraph of the article

urrh 02-15-2013 12:00 PM

i only ever clean my ears after i get out of the shower. no idea if its wet or not before then

pinn3r 02-15-2013 12:05 PM

wtf how is it even wasting money lol.. my deodorant's like 4 bucks and it lasts for like a year

stewie 02-15-2013 12:15 PM

Meh, I got wet ear wax.

I was told years ago that stinky arm pits are from the sweat soaking the hairs, and if you do some manscaping it helps out.

I do full manscaping: trimming, waxing, shaving, etc...

But anyone who uses deodorant/cologne really shouldn't have a problem
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 02-15-2013 01:19 PM

I have gooey ear wax and stinky arm pits.

spideyv2 02-15-2013 01:25 PM

The BroScience in this thread is strong
Posted via RS Mobile

El Bastardo 02-15-2013 01:31 PM

ib4 "Surrey is already aware of this home remedy" comments.

Growing up on the Island I was surrounded by two types of people. Hippies who were the children of draft dodgers and wannabe rednecks who called anyone darker than a paper bag the N-word.

One day I mentioned to a hippie who I knew that the deodorant I was using was causing my skin to feel raw and irritated. The next day she shows up with this big crystal rock she said was "natural deodorant".

I simply switched deodorant brands rather than let a healing crystal take away my "toxified scents" to the land of wind and honey.

Moral of the story? Vancouver Island is a terrible, terrible place and be thankful for science.

Akinari 02-15-2013 01:37 PM

Dry earwax and no body odour aside from after hockey :alonehappy:

bloodmack 02-15-2013 01:44 PM

i eat a ton of bad food so no doubt i fuckin smell when i don't have the BO stick on.

bcedhk 02-15-2013 02:00 PM

is good to avoid deodorant as much as possible. You sweat there for a reason, and by using the product, your blocking the pores.

Plus, the bulk majority of stick deodorant (e.g. major banded ones like Axe, Gilette) have aluminum based products which has been linked to higher chances of cancer related illnesses.

IMO, eat more "clean", use more breathable clothing if you do sweat and shower

Ludepower 02-15-2013 03:32 PM

Dont need to check earwax.
I have BO. No doubt (canadian accent) about it.

asian_XL 02-15-2013 04:55 PM

Dry and wet earwax theory is old, my parents have been telling me this since I was young, as my dad has wet earwax and he smells like shunks everyday coming back from work.

Believe it or not, when I did ask my ex and my wife whether they have dry earwax when we started dating. It was odd, but I get to play safe. LOL

TheKingdom2000 02-15-2013 05:00 PM

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/292...Ear_Picker.jpg

don't you guys all use this? I remember my mom would clean our ears with this little ear spoon every few weeks.
Posted via RS Mobile

rsx 02-15-2013 05:22 PM

am I the only one with the "I smell something funky" look as I read down the page?