REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Pulled over by an RCMP Bike transport Van (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680572-pulled-over-rcmp-bike-transport-van.html)

fatty2.0 02-16-2013 10:12 PM

Pulled over by an RCMP Bike transport Van

So I was driving on the rightmost lane of 2 lane(on each side) road when there and further down I saw a parked car(it was at night during a rain storm), I turned on my signal to change lanes. The car in the lane beside me was further back sped up, the parked car was quickly approaching and I don't think I could have stopped and sped up, changed lanes while the other car was on my bumper, and then changed back to the right most lane and slowed down. I thought the car would pass me at that point since I was no longer in his lane but to my surprise he slowed down and stayed along side me in his lane.

In a few seconds, I saw the flashing lights and figured out why. There was an an 1980's GMC Van that had the bar on ton and "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the side.

The officer said I was going too fast for the weather and gave me a speeding ticket. He said he was going to give the other drive a few more tickets than me(I didn't ask why but I assume he saw the aggressive driving I described). I've been driving for over 10 years now and never got any tickets of any kind before this, so this is all new to me.

So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the fact that I had I had speed up because the car wasn't allowing me to change lanes and it was too late to stop as my defense to dispute?
2. Is the speedometer of a 25 year old GMC van an acceptable speed measuring device in a court of law? I mean it's not a calibrated laser gun or anything.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:The RCMP Van was behind the car in the left lane, I was in the right lane right lane passed the parked car when the lights were turned on.

BillyBishop 02-16-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatty2.0 (Post 8161883)
So I was driving on the rightmost lane of 2 lane(on each side) road when there and further down I saw a parked car(it was at night during a rain storm), I turned on my signal to change lanes. The car in the lane beside me was further back sped up, the parked car was quickly approaching and I don't think I could have stopped and sped up, changed lanes while the other car was on my bumper, and then changed back to the right most lane and slowed down. I thought the car would pass me at that point since I was no longer in his lane but to my surprise he slowed down and stayed along side me in his lane.

In a few seconds, I saw the flashing lights and figured out why. There was an an 1980's GMC Van that had the bar on ton and "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the side.

The officer said I was going too fast for the weather and gave me a speeding ticket. He said he was going to give the other drive a few more tickets than me(I didn't ask why but I assume he saw the aggressive driving I described). I've been driving for over 10 years now and never got any tickets of any kind before this, so this is all new to me.

So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the fact that I had I had speed up because the car wasn't allowing me to change lanes and it was too late to stop as my defense to dispute?
2. Is the speedometer of a 25 year old GMC van an acceptable speed measuring device in a court of law? I mean it's not a calibrated laser gun or anything.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:The RCMP Van was behind the car in the left lane, I was in the right lane right lane passed the parked car when the lights were turned on.

1. No, I wouldn't say so. If you had enough space/time to speed up and clear the car beside you (who, too, was accelerating), I'd suspect that there was ample space/time to slow down instead and go behind said car. It'd be the safer move, there's no contest of that.

2. I think you'll have a difficult time holding on to that as defense.

fatty2.0 02-17-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBishop (Post 8161977)
1. No, I wouldn't say so. If you had enough space/time to speed up and clear the car beside you (who, too, was accelerating), I'd suspect that there was ample space/time to slow down instead and go behind said car. It'd be the safer move, there's no contest of that.

2. I think you'll have a difficult time holding on to that as defense.

Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, the car accelerated after I signaled to change lanes, so I was already accelerating.

Graeme S 02-17-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatty2.0 (Post 8162262)
Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, the car accelerated after I signaled to change lanes, so I was already accelerating.

Still not a defence. If you had time to decide to accelerate, you had time to slow down. At least that's what the cop and JP will say.

fatty2.0 02-17-2013 02:41 PM

Thanks for your input guys!

Brianrietta 02-17-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatty2.0 (Post 8162338)
Thanks for your input guys!

Reasonable questions and responses in legible English.
No ridiculous insistence on disputing your tickets.
Strong first posts here.

I like you. You can stay. :thumbs:

jlenko 02-17-2013 05:42 PM

What's even more awesome... an RCMP bike transport van pulled over TWO speeding cars...

Minty

zulutango 02-17-2013 07:51 PM

Yeh....Bike Squad are nothing but frustrated and wanna be Motor Cops. Real bad attitude there. They have even been known to clothespeg cardboard clickers to their spokes and make vocal engine noises. :)

Senna4ever 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

^^^ But none are overweight. :p

fatty2.0 02-17-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8162436)
Reasonable questions and responses in legible English.
No ridiculous insistence on disputing your tickets.
Strong first posts here.

I like you. You can stay. :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 8162477)
What's even more awesome... an RCMP bike transport van pulled over TWO speeding cars...

Minty

Funny things, I've never seen one before and was surprised that they still have something from the 80's in their fleet; it was literally the same model as the A-Team van.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8162653)
Yeh....Bike Squad are nothing but frustrated and wanna be Motor Cops. Real bad attitude there. They have even been known to clothespeg cardboard clickers to their spokes and make vocal engine noises. :)

I should have mentioned, the officer was very polite and respectful which deserves mentioning; I have been harassed by cops in the past but I would say this officer was a good cop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 8162680)

That's very true, I wish I could be burning calories and getting paid! Having a desk job like I do is almost like being a professional couch potato.

zulutango 02-18-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 8162680)

The Spandex and Lulu Lemon make it appear so. :fullofwin:

nns 02-19-2013 09:16 PM

RCMP is pretty formal with their vehicle titles, eh? Seriously, is it really necessary to splash "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the van? I can't help but think somebody with too much time on their hands thought of that. I think just "RCMP" would do just fine.

Spidey 02-22-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8164652)
RCMP is pretty formal with their vehicle titles, eh? Seriously, is it really necessary to splash "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the van? I can't help but think somebody with too much time on their hands thought of that. I think just "RCMP" would do just fine.

Why don't you bring that up on their next meeting?