REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Pulled over by an RCMP Bike transport Van

So I was driving on the rightmost lane of 2 lane(on each side) road when there and further down I saw a parked car(it was at night during a rain storm), I turned on my signal to change lanes. The car in the lane beside me was further back sped up, the parked car was quickly approaching and I don't think I could have stopped and sped up, changed lanes while the other car was on my bumper, and then changed back to the right most lane and slowed down. I thought the car would pass me at that point since I was no longer in his lane but to my surprise he slowed down and stayed along side me in his lane.

In a few seconds, I saw the flashing lights and figured out why. There was an an 1980's GMC Van that had the bar on ton and "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the side.

The officer said I was going too fast for the weather and gave me a speeding ticket. He said he was going to give the other drive a few more tickets than me(I didn't ask why but I assume he saw the aggressive driving I described). I've been driving for over 10 years now and never got any tickets of any kind before this, so this is all new to me.

So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the fact that I had I had speed up because the car wasn't allowing me to change lanes and it was too late to stop as my defense to dispute?
2. Is the speedometer of a 25 year old GMC van an acceptable speed measuring device in a court of law? I mean it's not a calibrated laser gun or anything.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:The RCMP Van was behind the car in the left lane, I was in the right lane right lane passed the parked car when the lights were turned on.
Advertisement

Last edited by fatty2.0; 02-16-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: To add details
fatty2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty2.0 View Post
So I was driving on the rightmost lane of 2 lane(on each side) road when there and further down I saw a parked car(it was at night during a rain storm), I turned on my signal to change lanes. The car in the lane beside me was further back sped up, the parked car was quickly approaching and I don't think I could have stopped and sped up, changed lanes while the other car was on my bumper, and then changed back to the right most lane and slowed down. I thought the car would pass me at that point since I was no longer in his lane but to my surprise he slowed down and stayed along side me in his lane.

In a few seconds, I saw the flashing lights and figured out why. There was an an 1980's GMC Van that had the bar on ton and "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the side.

The officer said I was going too fast for the weather and gave me a speeding ticket. He said he was going to give the other drive a few more tickets than me(I didn't ask why but I assume he saw the aggressive driving I described). I've been driving for over 10 years now and never got any tickets of any kind before this, so this is all new to me.

So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the fact that I had I had speed up because the car wasn't allowing me to change lanes and it was too late to stop as my defense to dispute?
2. Is the speedometer of a 25 year old GMC van an acceptable speed measuring device in a court of law? I mean it's not a calibrated laser gun or anything.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:The RCMP Van was behind the car in the left lane, I was in the right lane right lane passed the parked car when the lights were turned on.
1. No, I wouldn't say so. If you had enough space/time to speed up and clear the car beside you (who, too, was accelerating), I'd suspect that there was ample space/time to slow down instead and go behind said car. It'd be the safer move, there's no contest of that.

2. I think you'll have a difficult time holding on to that as defense.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
1. No, I wouldn't say so. If you had enough space/time to speed up and clear the car beside you (who, too, was accelerating), I'd suspect that there was ample space/time to slow down instead and go behind said car. It'd be the safer move, there's no contest of that.

2. I think you'll have a difficult time holding on to that as defense.
Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, the car accelerated after I signaled to change lanes, so I was already accelerating.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, the car accelerated after I signaled to change lanes, so I was already accelerating.
Still not a defence. If you had time to decide to accelerate, you had time to slow down. At least that's what the cop and JP will say.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for your input guys!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input guys!

Reasonable questions and responses in legible English.
No ridiculous insistence on disputing your tickets.
Strong first posts here.

I like you. You can stay.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

What's even more awesome... an RCMP bike transport van pulled over TWO speeding cars...

Minty
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Yeh....Bike Squad are nothing but frustrated and wanna be Motor Cops. Real bad attitude there. They have even been known to clothespeg cardboard clickers to their spokes and make vocal engine noises.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
^^^ But none are overweight.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Reasonable questions and responses in legible English.
No ridiculous insistence on disputing your tickets.
Strong first posts here.

I like you. You can stay.
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
What's even more awesome... an RCMP bike transport van pulled over TWO speeding cars...

Minty
Funny things, I've never seen one before and was surprised that they still have something from the 80's in their fleet; it was literally the same model as the A-Team van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Yeh....Bike Squad are nothing but frustrated and wanna be Motor Cops. Real bad attitude there. They have even been known to clothespeg cardboard clickers to their spokes and make vocal engine noises.
I should have mentioned, the officer was very polite and respectful which deserves mentioning; I have been harassed by cops in the past but I would say this officer was a good cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
That's very true, I wish I could be burning calories and getting paid! Having a desk job like I do is almost like being a professional couch potato.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
The Spandex and Lulu Lemon make it appear so.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
RCMP is pretty formal with their vehicle titles, eh? Seriously, is it really necessary to splash "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the van? I can't help but think somebody with too much time on their hands thought of that. I think just "RCMP" would do just fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
RCMP is pretty formal with their vehicle titles, eh? Seriously, is it really necessary to splash "RCMP BIKE TRANSPORT" on the van? I can't help but think somebody with too much time on their hands thought of that. I think just "RCMP" would do just fine.
Why don't you bring that up on their next meeting?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote