REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Asking your manager for a raise

I work as a part-timer as I am a student and I only work on the weekends. So, I rarely see my manager because of it. I am a hardworker and have been working for half a year now. My manager is asking if I want to work full-time during the summer again.

I want to ask my manager for a raise but I dont know how to since I never see him. Should I send a text or email or call him to ask if he has time for me to come see him and talk about work during the summer? And then during the talk, Ill ask him if I could get a raise?

What is the best way, any opinions? thanks!
Advertisement
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
what i would suggest is just to set u a small meeting with him how ever you need to, sit down with him and explain why you think u deserve the raise, and if he agrees im sure he will be fine, pretty much how i always did it
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
working there half a year only and alrdy asking for a raise??

plus u only work weekends.

hardworking =/= raise. you're expected to be hard working. if a boss were to hire you, a raise isnt necessary in order to bring out the "hard working" side of you. maybe if you go out of your expectations and really impress your boss then you could ask for a raise.

srsly "hard working" should be the bare minimum.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
working there half a year only and alrdy asking for a raise??

plus u only work weekends.

hardworking =/= raise. you're expected to be hard working. if a boss were to hire you, a raise isnt necessary in order to bring out the "hard working" side of you. maybe if you go out of your expectations and really impress your boss then you could ask for a raise.

srsly "hard working" should be the bare minimum.
i think i go out of my way, cleaning the sewer that clogs up and leaves outside. I do it to make the place clean and efficient.

I work at a paint store, and was hired last summer. I ended up putting stocks away at the store and was very worn out from it. I did a very good job of putting everything away fast and done right. Then I go help customers and contractors with their orders. I take out the garbages in the washrooms and out in the store every closing and sweep the floors.

My co-workers are starting to just leave stuff for me (taking advantage) even though it is their responsibility to put away stock and also clean.

I know I've been working for only 6 months, but I think I deserve it.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Do not ask for a raise.

"Half a year," which I assume is approximately six months, is not an appropriate time-frame for a part-time employee to ask for a pay increase, it screams arrogance and entitlement. After you've spent a summer working full-time, you'll have put in sufficient hours for it to somewhat appropriate. A good employer typically has a schedule for pay increases, most often for a part-time employee that would be one year or for a full-time employee six months to a year. If you ask: unless you're very severely underpaid (and that would only be possible if you have skills ie. trades experiences), he'll most likely say no.

Do not text or email a boss unless you're at a management level yourself, always call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
i think i go out of my way, cleaning the sewer that clogs up and leaves outside. I do it to make the place clean and efficient.

I work at a paint store, and was hired last summer. I ended up putting stocks away at the store and was very worn out from it. I did a very good job of putting everything away fast and done right. Then I go help customers and contractors with their orders. I take out the garbages in the washrooms and out in the store every closing and sweep the floors.

My co-workers are starting to just leave stuff for me (taking advantage) even though it is their responsibility to put away stock and also clean.

You're just doing your job, don't flatter yourself.

Given your job description, if you're making more than minimum wage consider yourself fortunate.

(I'm harsh, yes, but don't be offended, your employer will look at the situation through the same perspective. I've had many young guys work under my supervision in the past, so I'm familiar with this type of situation.)

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-18-2013 at 08:57 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
I'd have to agree with MindBomber.

Unless you're in a professional career (which given the description, you're not - no offense), you're not really in a position to ask for a raise.

But then again, your circumstances may be different than what we've inferred on here, and you may very well deserve one. But before you do ask, imagine what you would do if you were the boss.

Good luck either way!
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:

I think MindBomber sums it up. Sure, go ahead and try to ask your manager for a rise, chances are, you won't get it, or worst off, your manager will be and tell you that you can quit so that he can hire another person who is willing to do your "extra effort work" for the same pay. 6 months for any job is not enough time for raise, unless you helped the company tremendously (e.g. profit wise)

If you feel like your co-workers are taking advantage of you, then let your managers know.

During my hs/uni years of working PT, I never asked for a raise. Rather, I got on the good side of the manager that was in charge of scheduling, therefore I could get days off in advance with higher chances or asking for more hours when needed.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

LOL let me tell you that's not how is done. You work maybe 80 to 85% of what you can do when the boos/manager isn't around. When he is around you put in 120% effort and you do it so he can see it.

It doesn't matter how hard you work or how much extra stuff you did. If your manager don't see it then is wasted work.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
I work as a part-timer as I am a student and I only work on the weekends. So, I rarely see my manager because of it. I am a hardworker and have been working for half a year now. My manager is asking if I want to work full-time during the summer again.

I want to ask my manager for a raise but I dont know how to since I never see him. Should I send a text or email or call him to ask if he has time for me to come see him and talk about work during the summer? And then during the talk, Ill ask him if I could get a raise?

What is the best way, any opinions? thanks!
Do you guys communicate telepathically?

Also what do you make now , what industry , what do you expect to receive? use a multiplication factor if you dont want to reveal your real /hr wage

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Is there a performance review process at your work? If so then familiarize yourself with and follow the procedure. Ask your manager, in person would be preferable.

If not then request a performance review with your manager. Typically the review is on an annual basis.
This is the time to discuss both your and the manager's expectations and whether you have met / exceeded or failed to meet expectations.

This is a good time to discuss and set goals, compensation being one of them.

Keep in mind this is about how useful you are to the company, not the other way round.

Last edited by finbar; 02-19-2013 at 05:37 PM.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
LOL let me tell you that's not how is done. You work maybe 80 to 85% of what you can do when the boos/manager isn't around. When he is around you put in 120% effort and you do it so he can see it.

It doesn't matter how hard you work or how much extra stuff you did. If your manager don't see it then is wasted work.
Horrible advice.

Good managers know who's working hard whether they see it or not.

When a worker gives "120% effort" under direct supervision, it's blatantly obvious that they don't consistently work to that standard.

I want to see consistent effort and attention to detail, not bullshit.

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-19-2013 at 05:30 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Horrible advice.

When a worker gives "120% effort" under direct supervision, it's blatantly obvious that they don't consistently work to that standard.

i work hard no matter what situation and my manager knows for sure. But I guess I want a raise since its probably the only summer I will ever work full-time since the next summers I am going to concentrate on school. Just wanted to make more money, greed =S
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
its not greed, you put time and effort in your work and you obviously want a raise, however you are only part time and do not work enough hours keep at it and hopefully ull get a raise soon enough.
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
there are some serious gay ass advice here.

your manager might not see 199% of the work you did, but he WILL always catch the 1% of work that you didn't do.

If you only work FOR your manager to see, when your manager is not there, you will "lose" your motivation to work, and that's sad.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
asking for raises was the one thing I hated the MOST when working in the private sector.

then the boss always tries to explain how theres no money n shit and its so fucking gay the whole process,

then he goes and buys everyone beers and wings and gives out huge bonus' at christmas, no money right?
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
in a years time, ask for a performance review.

6 months, some places count the first 6 months as probation.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Full-time
6 months=1120 hours
1 year= 2240 hours

That's my understanding at all the places I've worked at.

Part-time
No raises from part-time, just the amount of hours would determine your raise.
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
asking for raises was the one thing I hated the MOST when working in the private sector.

then the boss always tries to explain how theres no money n shit and its so fucking gay the whole process,

then he goes and buys everyone beers and wings and gives out huge bonus' at christmas, no money right?
My one year was in December and I didn't ask for anything because I know it's slow right now and I don't want him using the there is no money excuse.

They do give pretty good bonuses though and he takes us out for lunch to the pub almost weekly, golfing, dinners ect... so I can't complain to much about that stuff.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #19

Should You Ask for a Raise? - Infographic - PayScale
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Horrible advice.

Then you must be living in a fairly land or in your dreams. Reality said otherwise. How many times do you see the lazy, people who are not fit for the job gets promoted yet the hard working person who awlays gives 120% never gets promoted. Working hard doens't mean you will get promoted. Is how you show that effort and show it at the right time and know how to communicate with management.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
also if your work hard and give 110% everyday,

they will NOT promote you because your doing such a good job, they dont want to train someone new.

the best method is to give about 70% of your effort, get the job done, with minimal extras, spend more time chatting up the managers.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Then you must be living in a fairly land or in your dreams. Reality said otherwise. How many times do you see the lazy, people who are not fit for the job gets promoted yet the hard working person who awlays gives 120% never gets promoted. Working hard doens't mean you will get promoted. Is how you show that effort and show it at the right time and know how to communicate with management.
In "fairly" land, I'm at a management level and you're not.

Reality actually says, I have it right and you do not.

You're correct on one point, and only one.

Hardwork does not ensure a promotion, because talent is an equally important requirement.

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-26-2013 at 06:19 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

My employees part time or full time get evaluated at 3mths for probation which no raise shall be discussed. At the 12 month mark a raise is discussed upon my yearly review. I know exactly how "hard" my employees work whether I'm there or not. And the "strategic 70% - 110% workers" will get a speaking to way before the yearly review is up.

Like MindBomber said, consistency is key when it comes to being a good worker. And the ones that are lazy when I'm not around will definitely be reassessed well before a raise is discussed.
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
ask him about a performance evaluation... not raise... if you are entitled to one, most likely will count towards (and a good chance) for a raise... I got him in 6months... but full time... I got a bit more because I work graveyards and not a lot people like to work graveyards, plus I told my manager that I applied at another place that was paying a bit more, so he matched it.. (which was a little lie, they were hiring but I dont know how much pay was)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #25

i'm sure when they promote or give someone a raise.. chances are they'll look at your performance and also ask opinions from your peers.. so if you are only giving 70-80% when they ain't there.. chances are your peers will also notice lol.. at least they shouldn't base your decision on giving someone a raise or promotion based on only what you see when you are there..
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote