REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Evoque or Q5 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680675-evoque-q5.html)

donot521 02-19-2013 05:32 AM

Evoque or Q5

I m in the market for small SUV and have narrowed down to these 2 cars...
Both are great looking car and perform almost the same. However I need a car that can last over 100k km.

which will be a better choice? Since Audi and Land rover score quite low in reliability department.

Any input?

duc_evo_sp 02-19-2013 05:48 AM

Evoque hands down!

PJ 02-19-2013 06:07 AM

Reliability shouldn't be a main concern when it comes to these cars.

"Better" in this case is subjective... so just choose whatever you like.

I personally LOVE the look of the Evoques.

bigzz786786 02-19-2013 06:27 AM

I would go with the evoque. Im a big guy and I felt comfortable in the evoque, you sink into the car, and the full glass roof makes the car feel larger.
Posted via RS Mobile

donot521 02-19-2013 06:36 AM

I personally love evoque.. sat and drove one...quite spacious inside and fun to drive with sport mode..but my wife kept ditching about ford ecoboost engine that evoque has.

I am still confuse how does she know that...lol
Posted via RS Mobile

AWDTurboLuvr 02-19-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donot521 (Post 8163837)
I m in the market for small SUV and have narrowed down to these 2 cars...
Both are great looking car and perform almost the same. However I need a car that can last over 100k km.

which will be a better choice? Since Audi and Land rover score quite low in reliability department.

Any input?

Wife and I are also looking at small SUVs to replace our car down the road and have tested the Evoque and the 3.0T Q5.

If you're just driving yourself and one other person, the Evoque is much more stylish and it feels quite a bit more special. However, the design really does compromise visibility and it feels a bit cramped overall in terms of leg room (relative to the Q5). It was a bit wider though, so I appreciated that. The touchscreen was a bit of a letdown to use and I preferred the MMI in the Audi as an interface.

Handling was pretty good for a CUV, ride was a bit jarring though in dynamic mode over rougher pavement. I could live with it but maybe others would just leave it in normal mode. Engine was hit or miss. Good power, but not very smooth in delivery. Felt like an older boosted motor to me...very much like a chipped 1.8T.

Biggest downside was price. With a base price of 46 large, I could get into a 3.0T Q5 with much more power and a good set of standard features already.

Q5 was much more mundane inside. As mentioned before, MMI was better than the Ford derived touchscreen in the RR. Seats were supportive but not as bolstered as the Evoque.
Handling was a bit softer than the Evoque but more controlled. Typical Quattro stability. Much more substantial power than the RR so performance is no contest IMO.

I would say between the two, if you are single, go with the RR. If you want to haul passengers or drive more often, I think the Q5 is the way to go. If you are patient, there is the 2014 SQ5 on the way as well. My money is on that one.

dark0821 02-19-2013 07:25 AM

my friend was in the same dilemma a while back,
honestly, reliability on both cars are.. well, hit or miss, I dont know much about the RR, but Audi electronics are well... still Audi electronics, my friend has the daytime LED replaced once within the first year, under warranty off course, but still, breaking down within the year?

I've only sat in a 2 door Evoque so couldnt comment on the space, but that huge glass roof... and its an attention whore, people do stare at red lights, which is a good thing I guess?

It came down to price like AWDTurboLuvr mentioned, and with the final price coming close to 60K, its the choice between a fully loaded audi and a semi-loaded RR.

So, its still up to you, but whichever one you choose, maybe extended warranty?

VRYALT3R3D 02-19-2013 07:30 AM

Neither of them are perfect:
2012 Audi Q5 models recalled over shattering sunroofs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...1400-cars.html

I am not a fan of either of them, but if I had to narrow it down to one it would be the Audi.

Iron Chef 02-19-2013 08:01 AM

GLK 250 Diesel
If you haven't looked into it.
Prob get 800km tank

Ducdesmo 02-19-2013 08:09 AM

I have this same issue awhile back. Was looking for a compact SUV and thought I had it narrowed down to the Q5. Then the 2013 GLK came out and I was sold immediately.

I am not a big fan of the Ford motor in the Evogue..or the weird slopped down roofline with a chopped rear window.

Q5 looked great especially with the sport line package, but had an A4 1.8T back in the days with nothing but problems left a sour taste in my mouth.. Plus the turbo lag sucked really bad. Drove the 3.0T and the lag isnt as noticeable, but still exists.

The GLK, imo, looks the best amongst the above 3. More refined interior and exterior. Great handling, tones of leg room front and back and decent trunk space. Also got the 20" AMG wheels.

http://www.searsimports.com/resrc/me...lkclasssuv.png

Hope that help.s

amusegt1 02-19-2013 12:49 PM

Just a heads up, the SQ5 and the Q5 3.0TDI will be launching this fall. Might want to wait for those before deciding. ;)

bananana 02-19-2013 02:22 PM

I'm surprised so many people like the Evoque. It's unnecessarily over-stylized to the point of being quite effeminate.

Culture_Vulture 02-19-2013 02:36 PM

2-door SUV? :fuckthatshit:

Szeto 02-19-2013 02:44 PM

i think Murano is gonna have a 2-door version too ... can't recall where I saw that news

tofu1413 02-19-2013 02:45 PM

^ they had that cross cabrio.... its so ugly that even our dealer didnt want to sell one. (i work at a nissan dealer..)

my vote goes to evoque.

Szeto 02-19-2013 02:53 PM

^didn't Morrey BBY have one? or maybe i am just seeing things. lol

tofu1413 02-19-2013 04:07 PM

yes they did. not sure if its still there. its a USA unit however..

btw, Szeto <3 your avatar. LOL

maxx 02-20-2013 12:48 AM

q5.

dont buy a ford edge with a range rover badge at the front

Timewav3zer0 02-20-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szeto (Post 8164181)
^didn't Morrey BBY have one? or maybe i am just seeing things. lol

haha ya it was a us model...someone actually bought it :badpokerface:

Sunfighter 02-20-2013 11:49 AM

I am a HUGE Land Rover fan... but in this class I would go GLK...

dygital 02-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsallaboutgz (Post 8163886)
Q5 looked great especially with the sport line package, but had an A4 1.8T back in the days with nothing but problems left a sour taste in my mouth.. Plus the turbo lag sucked really bad. Drove the 3.0T and the lag isnt as noticeable, but still exists.

That's impossible for the 3.0T to be laggy since the T does NOT stand for supercharged but is just way of saying forced induction for Audi. The 3L engine in the Audi Q5 is supercharged.

donot521 02-20-2013 12:04 PM

I love GLK but my wife think it is ugly...too boxy
Posted via RS Mobile

Bender Unit 02-20-2013 12:58 PM

My friend asked the exact same questions last summer when he was expecting his new born baby.
checked out both Q5 3.0 & Evoque

he went with the safest bet - Lexus RX350 F-Sport
bigger trunk space, better value, reliability, fully equipped.
only missing from Lexus is a panoramic glass sunroof.
$65000 out the Dealership Door.

bigzz786786 02-20-2013 01:45 PM

there will be a few variants of the evoque over the next few years, they are bringing out a grand evoque, which will be a larger size but smaller than the range rover sport. also will be equipped with either an 8 speed auto or the new 9 speed that they are testing out, which will improve fuel efficiency too.

Ducdesmo 02-20-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dygital (Post 8165102)
That's impossible for the 3.0T to be laggy since the T does NOT stand for supercharged but is just way of saying forced induction for Audi. The 3L engine in the Audi Q5 is supercharged.

You are right..not sure why I said 3.0T. I test drove the 2.0T. Lots of torque for such a small motor.