REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
question about body shop paint standards

So my car needed the door and quarter painted and the body shop masked off the inner door jamb.

The problem is that its pretty clear where the masking tape line is and the paint is two different colors. Its obvious to anyone that looks that the car was repainted. Look at the difference from left to right, its a clear line where they taped it off. Also, if I run my hand over it in some areas I can feel a raised area. The way they taped it is also not completely straight, if I look at it there are wavy lines where it looks like they just slapped on the tape without making sure that its straight.

Is this normal or should I take it back?

Advertisement

Last edited by Energy; 02-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

unprofessionally done, get them to fix it
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
That's terrible workmanship, I would definitely take it back.

I was in an accident three years ago, and the majority of the passenger side was repainted. I've searched endlessly trying to find signs any paint work was done, but the paint blends flawlessly between new and old panels. I see no reason why the quality of your paint work should not, or could not, be equal to mine.

Where was the work done?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

I won't name names yet but I was pretty choked when I saw that. If its obvious in pictures, its even more noticeable in real life. That's two shades of black right there.

I will give them a call tomorrow and go from there.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
If they won't fix it for you for any reason, file a complaint with icbc and it will light a fire under there ass.
Posted via RS Mobile
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Went back to them and they were really good about it. They're going to paint the whole inner panel now too so there's no line anywhere.

The problem was getting the stickers but they can special order the VIN sticker and everything else from Germany.

It all worked out. It was No 1 Collision in Richmond and in the end I'm happy.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

appears they didnt polish the blend.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

thats pretty normal because the doors have to be closed when they paint it. only thing is that most painters will paint up to the edge of something so that the line isnt as obvious. Your door jamb is maybe smooth with no edges so it was done like that. Only way for the line to be further out of view is if they removed the doors and painted even further into the door jamb, but even so there will still be a line.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Wow, Ive heard really good reviews about no1 collision. Didn't think they'd work like that

It's good to hear things worked out though
I myself work at a collision shop and we don't mask off the panels. We make sure the whole panels painted with a blend in it about halfway
But yea like they said, the polish should do it
Posted via RS Mobile
rashaadk is offline   Reply With Quote