REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Recommend me some good dress shoes (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680719-recommend-me-some-good-dress-shoes.html)

wichu 02-19-2013 11:57 PM

Recommend me some good dress shoes

I'm looking for dress shoes for work. I'm looking for something that I'll get my moneys worth.
I've tried aldo shoes but they don't last long. They look okay but quality is not there. I feel like i shred through them every 2 months or so.
I've also tried Steve madden and they are alright as well. They last longer than Aldo shoes for sure for me.
I searched the forums and heard Cole Haan are a great choice.
My budget is $150-$200. If they are really good shoes then I may buy another pair and rotate wearing them.
If you can mention where to buy them locally then it would be greatly appreciated

Energy 02-20-2013 12:00 AM

I know its above your price range but maybe look at Allen Edmonds? Excellent quality for the price and you can resole them when they get worn out. They're meant to last years if not a lifetime.

Don't waste your time with Aldo, they're crap.

radioman 02-20-2013 12:05 AM

I can't really coach you on good brands but here's a site for you.

Search

Only thing I can say is don't cheap out (ie sub $100) they wont last.

I like Oxfords

skiiipi 02-20-2013 06:02 AM

Your price range Cole Haan is a good bet.
If you can step it up, look for ferragamos when they are on sale
You can get lucky and get them for around 300-400 when they are on sale. Great investment.
Posted via RS Mobile

wyuzz 02-20-2013 05:21 PM

Johnston and murphy is another brand that fits your budget, they're a step up from your mall brands like aldo and steve maddens. If you can wait, get a pair of seconds from allen edmond for about $200 when they're on sale.
Posted via RS Mobile

tru_blue 02-21-2013 05:32 AM

what would you guys rate calvin klein and kenneth cole dress shoes? what abt rockport?

woob 02-21-2013 10:21 AM

brands you listed < J&M = Cole Haan < AE

imo

wichu 02-23-2013 05:13 PM

Thank you guys for the feedback. I will look for a pair of Allen Edmond as they will be a very good investment for me.
So far I found out that freedman shoes, harry rosen and Ingledews.
Do you guys know any other local shops that have them?

wichu 02-24-2013 12:54 PM

*update

I just got Allen Edmonds from freedman south granville location.
Found nice black dress shoes on Sale for $187. Down from $355.
Tried them and like them alot.
Money well invested.

Thanks guys

Calbeee 02-24-2013 05:48 PM

cool! i want a pair of allen edmonds, didn't know they had it at local stores. def gonna check them out if they are only 187!

which did you get? i want the park avenues

http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarma...4490411lg.html

^ what do you guys think of this? i can get it for much lower than the price listed, so wondering what others though of it. i really like them but not sure how emporio armanis are

wichu 02-24-2013 06:57 PM

I got the park avenues. I got lucky
These rarely go on sale. Otherwise your paying $355+tax on them.
I've checked harry rosen and they told me AE stay reg price year round

insomniac 02-24-2013 07:01 PM

Those Armani's look great !! Do want
Posted via RS Mobile

Energy 02-24-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wichu (Post 8168991)
I got the park avenues. I got lucky
These rarely go on sale. Otherwise your paying $355+tax on them.
I've checked harry rosen and they told me AE stay reg price year round

Haha you got a deal on those. I paid about $300 for mine on sale. Those are really good shoes, very comfy and very classy. If its good enough for the President of the United States its good enough for you.

Calbeee 02-24-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 8168999)
Haha you got a deal on those. I paid about $300 for mine on sale. Those are really good shoes, very comfy and very classy. If its good enough for the President of the United States its good enough for you.

damn, i want a pair!

@wichu, which freedman did you go to, and do you know if they still have sizes?

wichu 02-24-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calbeee (Post 8169047)
damn, i want a pair!

@wichu, which freedman did you go to, and do you know if they still have sizes?

I went to the granville street location.
I'm really not sure on sizes. One of the staff had to look in the back for mine.
AE are half a size larger than normal so I took size 8. I normally wear size 8.5.
Try calling the store and ask them to check their inventory.
AE selection is very limited so check soon.

Calbeee 02-24-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wichu (Post 8169077)
I went to the granville street location.
I'm really not sure on sizes. One of the staff had to look in the back for mine.
AE are half a size larger than normal so I took size 8. I normally wear size 8.5.
Try calling the store and ask them to check their inventory.
AE selection is very limited so check soon.

thanks man, will check tomorrow!

tru_blue 03-11-2013 02:00 AM

do u guys prefer your dress shoes with laces or no laces? i noticed alot of dress shoes nowadays are just slip-ons. So do laces cheapen or enhance the value of the shoe?

what you guys think?

dasani604 03-11-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru..azn (Post 8181888)
do u guys prefer your dress shoes with laces or no laces? i noticed alot of dress shoes nowadays are just slip-ons. So do laces cheapen or enhance the value of the shoe?

what you guys think?

I prefer loafers because they're versatile and quicker to put on. Also, the trend is going towards loafers (narrow, high "tongue" - forgot what it's called, monk straps, etc.). Don't rule out shoes with laces though. If you're considering about getting a pair, get a pair of oxfords. They're a classic essential to any shoe collection. Laces do not cheapen nor enhance the value of any shoe, it's a matter of preference and how you pull them off. Loafers used to be considered less formal and classy, hence they weren't as popular in the workplace. However, that is no longer the case.

blee123 03-11-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasani604 (Post 8182067)
I prefer loafers because they're versatile and quicker to put on. Also, the trend is going towards loafers (narrow, high "tongue" - forgot what it's called, monk straps, etc.). Don't rule out shoes with laces though. If you're considering about getting a pair, get a pair of oxfords. They're a classic essential to any shoe collection. Laces do not cheapen nor enhance the value of any shoe, it's a matter of preference and how you pull them off. Loafers used to be considered less formal and classy, hence they weren't as popular in the workplace. However, that is no longer the case.

china fobs wearing loafers along with no socks ruin the image of loafers for me...see alot of these goofs at Holt renfrew and Harry Rosen

DragonChi 03-12-2013 04:47 AM

Rockport has addias adirpene in them. Bought mine on sale at Sears for $100.

I find them pretty comfortable, but I wouldn't wear them all day.

lowside67 03-12-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8164910)
If you can step it up, look for ferragamos when they are on sale
You can get lucky and get them for around 300-400 when they are on sale. Great investment.
Posted via RS Mobile

Where do Ferragamos go on sale? I've been to both Harry Rosen and the Ferragamo store on Robson and neither had anything other than full price current models.

Thanks!

Not really racist! 03-12-2013 12:45 PM

^ I don't think I've ever seen them on sale in Vancouver in person? Maybe its just my luck?

I picked mine up in Vegas for around ~300.. I forgot

tru_blue 03-12-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8182745)
Rockport has addias adirpene in them. Bought mine on sale at Sears for $100.

I find them pretty comfortable, but I wouldn't wear them all day.

what was the regular price on these? Laces or no laces?

I checked out the rockport ones at The Bay or Ingledew and they look pretty dated and old school (for older men)

dasani604 03-12-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8182767)
Where do Ferragamos go on sale? I've been to both Harry Rosen and the Ferragamo store on Robson and neither had anything other than full price current models.

Thanks!

Ferragamo usually has shoes on sale near the time period when the seasons switch. So winter - spring, a sale should be coming up soon (if the trend is the same from last year).

Harry Rosen had a few pairs on sale when I checked about 2 months ago. Maybe I'm just lucky for going in at the right times

Tapioca 03-19-2013 11:26 AM

^ Ferragamo shoes may be nice, but after having a pair of AEs with a Goodyear Welt, I would pass (unless of course you keep them in the office to be worn indoors only).

Goodyear welt shoes > all.
Posted via RS Mobile